Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

More Than a Simple Release

Schneelocke said:

A few bugs I noticed, in case you want to fix them for a later rerelease (all observed in ZDoom 2.0.97)...

1. ZDoom complains that both sky textures need to be the same height (I take it that means they aren't).
2. At the end screen of the either episode (and also after the final bonus level), ZDoom complains that the "D_KEKE" music is not found.
3. The vertical alignment on the front sidedef of linedef 2636 in map 16 is wrong (it's off by 64, so the upper and lower half of the door are basically switched).
4. In the blue skull room in map 19, pressing any of East, West and North switches *immediately* gives you a bad combination, even though you only pressed one switch. It seems to be impossible to get the blue key, short of giving it to yourself on the console.
5. The text at the end of the second episode and after the bonus level is too wide for the screen, so part of it can't be read (in 1280x1024).

1. Graf-Zahl said that was a bug in ZDoom. There's really only one sky texture per map, so I don't see how they couldn't be the same size :P
2. I'll tell you the truth about that. I actually did that so that it would just use the same music as in the intermission screen. Had I set it to use D_DM2INT, the music would start over from the beginning. Stupid, I know, but it was the only way I could think of to do that :P
3. Yeah, I know about that. I didn't think it was all that bad.
4. The blue key puzzle in Map19 is pretty simple. It's essentially like a "simon says" type of thing. Watch the order in which the key appears on the pillars, and then repeat the sequence. It goes up to 5 times before you actually are able to receive the key.

Lüt said:

Wheee, this must open up loads of time for map04 from your schedule :D

Somehow I knew you'd say that :)

AgentSpork said:

4. The blue key puzzle in Map19 is pretty simple. It's essentially like a "simon says" type of thing. Watch the order in which the key appears on the pillars, and then repeat the sequence. It goes up to 5 times before you actually are able to receive the key.

Somehow I knew you'd say that :)

Oh? Why? :) In any case, you're right, of course - I just tried again, and it does work. I was just too stupid to figure it out. :)

EDIT: I think I encountered something that may or may not be another glitch. Specifically, the last boss in level 20 completely disappeared on me. o.o He definitely was still alive, though; the monster count was still showing him, and the health meter also reported him as still being at 43% or so.

Not sure what happened there, really - maybe he tried to teleport to a spot I just happened to occupy at the same moment?

Finished... excellent stuff all around. Incidentally, my least favorite monster didn't appear at all. He wasn't missed.

This is fucking pissing me off! On level 5, whenever I kill the 2 arch-viles, and then save, the game locks up! WTFF? It says there was a very fatal error.

doom3 said:

This is fucking pissing me off! On level 5, whenever I kill the 2 arch-viles, and then save, the game locks up! WTFF? It says there was a very fatal error.

Don't use 2.0.97. It has a serious savegame bug.

Schneelocke said:

EDIT: I think I encountered something that may or may not be another glitch. Specifically, the last boss in level 20 completely disappeared on me. o.o He definitely was still alive, though; the monster count was still showing him, and the health meter also reported him as still being at 43% or so.

Not sure what happened there, really - maybe he tried to teleport to a spot I just happened to occupy at the same moment?

I think this is normal behavior, since the boss is able to make itself invisible.

Schneelocke said:

That's actually a pretty good probability. I don't think I made it so that the boss is capable of telefragging you like the first boss can, so there might be a good chance that, if you're standing in the center where the boss tends to teleport, that it might just not teleport at all. There are two attacks I know of that could cause problems because of that. There is one attack where it teleports completely out of the level and spawns several lost souls and then teleports back in. If you're standing in the center of the map when you kill the lost soul, it might be possible that the boss just doesn't teleport back into the arena. The other attack is the same way in that it teleports completely out of the arena, and then teleports back when it is finished.

I'll play around with it and see if I can solve this problem. It should be as easy as setting the allowmonstertelefrags flag for that map. I just never thought to change it because I have never had any problem with it of all the times I've tested it.

Maybe I was just unlucky. :) But yes, I was standing in the center of the map.

As for allowing the boss to telefrag you, that's something I wouldn't be too keen on, myself - it always feels like "you lose, even though you didn't do anything wrong". Is it possible to make the boss try and teleport again until he succeeds eventually? I really don't know enough about custom ZDoom monsters to know whether it would, but if it is, then I think that would be the best solution.

AgentSpork said:

I'll play around with it and see if I can solve this problem. It should be as easy as setting the allowmonstertelefrags flag for that map. I just never thought to change it because I have never had any problem with it of all the times I've tested it.

Better use +TELESTOMP on the monster itself. Then it doesn't affect other monsters that might teleport.

Graf Zahl said:

Better use +TELESTOMP on the monster itself. Then it doesn't affect other monsters that might teleport.

Ah, thanks. That's something I didn't know about. I did make both of these bosses back when I was stranded without an internet connection, so I had no documentation to look at. Looks like I'm going to have to change that for both MAP10 and MAP20. Allowing monsters to telefrag you on MAP10 can cause a few annoying parts throughout the course of the map.

Dittohead said:

Mikko of Dukeworld.com fame I presume? And MSDN, of course.

Heh - yap - that's me:)

Anyways - I'm at level nine now. The game crashes every now and then when I save but I guess that's because of my ZDoom version.

This is incredible! I absolutely love this wad, it has a very classic Doom1 feeling to it, yet a very modern polish. Zdoom scripts were used to good effect and it felt very professional from top to bottom... also the secret level is awesome :) Good Job AgentSpork! Keep it up!

Hi Spork, its good to see you releasing new stuff even if it is for zdoom *cough, spit*

Its a great excuse to start using zdoom, looks beautiful, well done mate, keep up the good work.

Absolutely amazing. I love it.

Basically, it's got a lot of "DooM 64" to it, yet it plays like regular DooM, for the most part.

Easily a masterpiece.

Heh. Just finished Level 10. A work of art, that is...especially the boss and the ending.

Man that Gatekeeper is intense. Must've killed me 10-20 times before I finally got him.

Xtife said:

well with gzdoom combining zdoom with legacy

there should be no reason to fight :)

It's not that simple.