Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Newtry08(unnamed) screenshots

I decided to use this blog for posting few pics of the map I am working right now. I am trying to get over the lameness of TsotsoFX here :)

I am working with shadows and lightning now. I am not sure if I manage quite well, some shadows doesn't look so realistic or look a bit ugly to my distorted view. (It's hard for someone to have a subjective view of his/her own creations. After running your own stuff for several tens or hundreds of time during development, you thing they suck. It's not the same for someone who checks your creations (being WADs, demos, gfx, music, etc.) for the very first time). Here are some screenshots.. (I hope vB code works, for it's the first I try it here)

Estimated release? Hopefully inside this year. 30% of the map is finished and I am preety busy with coding projects and university. I'll probably work slowly on this one..

Looking very nice so far. You shouldn't trouble yourself with lighting too much. Afterall it's Doom and people won't notice small realistic lighting 'errors'.

You did a good job with lighting so far so keep up the good work.

LOL! I get it now and actually it's true, since there are crates almost in the starting room ;)

What's the fuzz with crates anyways? I've heard there was a joke of someone taking StC as a factor of how much a Doom level sucks but I can't figure out why this conclusion?

Optimus said:

LOL! I get it now and actually it's true, since there are crates almost in the starting room ;)

What's the fuzz with crates anyways? I've heard there was a joke of someone taking StC as a factor of how much a Doom level sucks but I can't figure out why this conclusion?

It's no joke, it's a respected science.
http://www.doomworld.com/10years/stc/stc.php

The principle of StC is, is that the longer it takes to find a crate, barrel, or anything such as that in any video game, the better the game is. The arguement is that when you first see a crate of any kind in a game, the developers ran out of original ideas. So a StC of 0:00 (like DOOM has) means that the game is a total piece of shit according to the StC law.

Read Cyb and Ling's StC article in "10 Years".

-_DLD_- said:

Read Cyb and Ling's StC article in "10 Years".

Very funny article, probably the funniest thing I have read on DW.

...but what stop's mappers from exploiting this rating system, making endless of piece-of-shit-wads without using crates/ barrels?

Darmuss said:

Very funny article, probably the funniest thing I have read on DW.

...but what stop's mappers from exploiting this rating system, making endless of piece-of-shit-wads without using crates/ barrels?

Shit wads automatically have crates and barrels, it's just science.

Comiclez said:

Shit wads automatically have crates and barrels, it's just science.

I think your confusing science with religion...

Darmuss said:

I think your confusing science with religion...

Unless I'm praying to the Crate God of the Ancients, I'd doubt that.

Comiclez said:

Unless I'm praying to the CRATE GOD OF THE ANCIENTS, I'd doubt that.

Who apperantly got sick of science and switched.

Thanks for the link, I actually have read that page before, that's the article which made me think this "science" is a joke :) It's a great fun to read it again..

Actually, one reason why stc maps would suck, would be that usually newbies goes "Wow! Crates!!! OMFG, I can draw Crates!!!!!!! Let's make some of'em!" esp. concerning the barrels (Wow! I can blow TONS OF THEM!!!). But then again, I love the second kind of crates (the boxes) for reasons I don't know. I'd love to make great piles of them, well I guess that says it all, I am a newbie in Doom editing too ;)

dutch devil said:

Well my tech map is a piece of crap then cause you see crates after a few seconds.

Same with my first map...my second isn't too bad, as it takes a long time to find crates. The third map has one barrel in the starting maze, but you can't see it for awhile.

My secret map has no crates.

But what is an tech map without crates and barrels, imo these things do belong in an tech map.
I only use a few to spice things up a little, not because im all out of ideas.