Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

10 movies in the past 5 years that don't suck

I'm gonna see the [Doom] movie soon. I know it sucks, but hey... name 10 movies in past 5 yeras that didn't suck. Trilogies don't count...
Then I could answer your question.

In my opinion, movies in the last 5 years that didn't suck:
The Ring
The Ring 2
The Amityville Horror
Training Day
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Batman Begins
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Freddy v.s. Jason
Alein v.s. Predator

Keep in mind I'm not one of those whiny little bitches who hates any hollywood production that isn't perfect. meh losers

Movies from that list that didn't suck:

Training Day
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (weak but can't say that it sucked)

Other than that naming 10 movies that didn't suck is shit easy (in no particular order):

28 Days Later
The Bourne Identity
Irreversible
American Psycho
The Last Samurai
Zatoichi
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Sin City
Heist
Collateral

All IMO of course.

baronofhell said:

Spider-Man 2

Yuck. If I go to see a movie about spiderman, I want to see spiderman and I want to see him doing spidery things. Not a movie about a teenager whining like a little bitch about how he doesn't want to be spiderman for most of the movie. Spiderman I enjoyed. Spiderman 2 was shit IMO.

Good movies from the time period being discussed?

28 Days Later
Dog Soldiers
Sin City
The Incredibles (yeah, I know)

Ummm, Does Event Horizon fit into this timescale? Probably not. But to me, that is a Doom movie. OK, no monsters, no guns, no marines (so where is the Doom element I hear you ask) but it has a very Doomy story and the feel is very Doomy too IMO.

Doom movie? Not seen it yet. Not out here yet. Will see it. Not holding out any great hopes for it.

Enjay said:

Yuck. If I go to see a movie about spiderman, I want to see spiderman and I want to see him doing spidery things. Not a movie about a teenager whining like a little bitch about how he doesn't want to be spiderman for most of the movie. Spiderman I enjoyed. Spiderman 2 was shit IMO.

You've obviously never seen the Spidey comics that Spiderman 2 was based around. Basically, Spiderman 1 and 2 were VERY MUCH the traditional Spiderman, sooo...if that offends, then don't watch 'em. It sounds like you'd be alot more happy with something alot more mindless and violent anyway, like Resident Evil Apocalypse. Does that have enough ass-kicking for ya? ;-)

I liked Spiderman 2 and thought the story was something original whereas the Last Samurai seemed rather the opposite.
Collateral was fun to watch, but really kinda sucked too, it started to fall apart after the ridiculously over-the-top club shootout, talk about a low-profile assasination.

Zeg-Vok said:

No one mentioned Dawn of the Dead 04' . . . why?

Because it sucks?

Prime said:

You've obviously never seen the Spidey comics that Spiderman 2 was based around. Basically, Spiderman 1 and 2 were VERY MUCH the traditional Spiderman, sooo...if that offends, then don't watch 'em.

I have read those comics. I thought Spidey 1 was a great little movie. Spidey 2 was clumsily done and drawn out IMO. How many times did we get a scene reminding us how little money he had, how things were going wrong for him, how miserable things were for him - over and over and over. I got the point the first time. I was bored shitless with it by about the tenth time. There was nothing deep and meaningful about it. It didn't paint a picture of a sensitive guy or an unfair world, yadda yadda. It was just badly done. Anyway, this is a movie about a guy who gets bitten by a spider and so can crawl up walls. How seriously am I supposed to take his teen angst crap? If I want arthouse and deep and meaningful, this is the wrong place to look anyway, so why make an abortive attempt at it? Especially when it was so much more balanced and so much better done in the first movie. I just wanted him to put the suit on and start spinning webs. He simply didn't do enough of it. I got a bad teen movie with super-hero overtones, that's all.

It sounds like you'd be alot more happy with something alot more mindless and violent anyway, like Resident Evil Apocalypse. Does that have enough ass-kicking for ya? ;-) [/B]

Yup on both counts. :)

On Spiderman 2:
The "character content" in Spiderman 2 is stuff that was taken almost directly from the books. Problems with family, his life, his friends...that's all shit that the COMIC BOOK SPIDERMAN deals with all the time. Spiderman has always been about balancing character AND action, and if that means giving him time to live out his life and realize that he's in a shitty situation, then so be it -- THAT's spiderman. He's a human (okay, amped-up human) who deals with real-to-life issues. That's always been the case, and that was the focus of this movie, and it was more than implied in the film trailers as being another "beginning" movie for Peter Parker as Spidey, sooo...

On Doom:
Can't really think of a part of that movie that I really "liked," or was thankful for, except the credits. ;-)

Here's hoping id thinks a TAD harder before approving a script for Quake. I'd hate to see EVERY one of their classic franchises raped away by ridiculous film-makers.

Prime said:

On Spiderman 2:
Spiderman has always been about balancing character AND action, and if that means giving him time to live out his life and realize that he's in a shitty situation, then so be it -- THAT's spiderman.

My point being that in #2 it wasn't balanced IMO. I felt I'd watched a poorly executed angst movie with some action scenes tagged on. What's more, because of the way the "angst" stuff was done, I felt the action and superhero side of things jarred in style with the rest of the movie. In short, I thought it was a bad movie. That's got nothing to do with how true to the feel of the comics it was and everything to do with lack of content, uninteresting scenes, lacklustre acting, improbable situations (in places where they were supposed to be credible) and over stressing points to try and ram the (empty) message home. Ultimately I found it dull and frustrating - a poor execution of everything it tried to achieve.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Constantine
Lord of the Rings
Matchstick Men
Punch-Drunk Love
Metoroporisu
The Animatrix
The Transporter (1&2)
Man On Fire

Easy.

Shawn of the Dead immediately comes to mind
I'll have to think a little harder for the rest of my list

Ralphis said:

Shawn of the Dead immediately comes to mind

Thank you! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who liked(LOVED in my case) this.

That movie Robots or whatever was okay too. You know, the CG one w/ Mel Brooks?

Add The Whole Ten Yards to the list because I just saw it yesterday and I thought it was pretty good

My fav movies of all time:

Heat(AL Pacino and Robert De Niro, among others)
Braveheart
Gladiator
Scarface(Pacino's version)
The Devil's Advocate

Enjay said:

Ummm, Does Event Horizon fit into this timescale? Probably not. But to me, that is a Doom movie. OK, no monsters, no guns, no marines (so where is the Doom element I hear you ask) but it has a very Doomy story and the feel is very Doomy too IMO.

Amen!

From the whole last 5 years I'd go with:
-Gladiator
-The Matrix
-The Ring

10 movies in the past decade and a half that don't suck (imo)
Evil Dead (1,2)
Army of Darkness
Troy (yeah, Brad Pitt...whaever)
Braveheart (yeah, Mel Gibson...whatever)
Passion of the Christ (yeah, Jesus/Jim Caviziel...whatever)
Butterfly Effect (I hate the lead but he was ok in that movie)
Se7en
Interview With the Vampire
Fight Club
Gladiator

Bonus: Unleashed, Ringu, Ju-On, Ju-On 2 (Japanese release), Shaun of the Dead...so many others.

Hmm...10 movies in the last 5 years? That's a tough one, but:

Sin City
Steamboy
Serenity
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Shaun of the Dead
Requiem for a Dream
Boondock Saints
Snatch
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Okay, you got me stumped for a tenth. Sure there were plenty of mediocre movies that were watchable, but nothing else GOOD. Saldy, the last 4 of those movies came out ALMOST 5 years ago and almost don't count.

Job said:

10 movies in the past decade and a half that don't suck (imo)
Evil Dead (1,2)
Army of Darkness

This is for 5 years, Army of Darkness is 1992 IIRC, and the Evil Deads are pre-2000 too.

I know. That's why I said it's for the past decade and a half. I'm too lazy to date any of the movies I thought weren't too bad as of late.