Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

Mapgame Udoom

I decided to actually do some advertising for this project. I started it a few months ago. I had (at that time) seven maps started, and a few mostly finished. Then later on I sorta forgot about it. A few weeks ago, I brought it back and started working on it more. Now, it's getting closer to being finished. If all goes well (which it will), this will be my (read: my) biggest released project, and personally most fun.

This episode will be for the ultimate doom, and will very probably be vanilla compatible, or at the very least, for any limit removing port (i will try to go for vanilla compatibility. I'm not really trying for uber detail)

You can probably tell that the theme is very loosely based on E1, with a little bit of E2 thrown in.

I still haven't decided as to whether or not I'm going to use a custom weapons pack or not (that's shown in the shots..), if I do more work on the weapons mod, I may. They seem to fit a bit, but time will tell.

Yes, it is using a new color palette. I really like those blues.. ^__^

http://manifesteddestiny.com/ravagedw/doom/mapgame/

Let me know what you think about this, what you like, or I could improve on. My ears are open.

The weapons look like poo, reminds me of the Nimrod weapons. Otherwise looks gr8.

Can't really comment on it yet, but if you do go with the new weapon look, you might want to change the hand animation for the pistol, just so the artwork for the weapons is standard throughout the mod.

Hey Ravage listen not trying to sound like a jerkoff here but if this is supposed to be like an E1 type episode than it's not exactly shaping up like it should. Sure it looks oldschool but some shots just vagualy blind me with the colors not blending in well. You may want to try some different type of detail or something here really.

Bloodskull said:

Hey Ravage listen not trying to sound like a jerkoff here but if this is supposed to be like an E1 type episode than it's not exactly shaping up like it should. Sure it looks oldschool but some shots just vagualy blind me with the colors not blending in well. You may want to try some different type of detail or something here really.

You can probably tell that the theme is very loosely based on E1, with a little bit of E2 thrown in.

Also, not sounding like a smartass. I'm way too tired to do so.

edit: Can you give examples please?

Bloodskull said:

Omigosh, ever heard of commas?

1. Your weapons look worse than the shit on Damage Inc.

2. That cyan palette shit has been thrown around in a few different mods I've seen, and (maybe it's just me) it looks like you're just throwing those nice shades of blue around like they're worthless. I'm serious, it looks like I'm seeing Marathon with DooM resources!

3. Vanilla Doom can handle a bit more detail than that. I do like the simplistic look a little, though, but I think you're overdoing it. It looks a little newb-ey.

4. Otherwise, I like your attempt for the most part, except for a few possibly-nitpicky texture quirks, like the shot with SW1EXIT under whatever that slime-fall texture is. It just looks BLEAH.

That cyan palette shit has been thrown around in a few different mods I've seen, and (maybe it's just me) it looks like you're just throwing those nice shades of blue around like they're worthless.

That's not cyan. It's dodger blue.

Mancubus II said:

The weapons look like poo, reminds me of the Nimrod weapons. Otherwise looks gr8.

Aw that hurt. :p

Seriously though, Manc is right. They look as bare and boring as the Ni'mrod weapons. Add something that makes the worth looking at.

Nmn said:

That's not cyan. It's dodger blue.

He ain't dumbass for no reason.
But other than that, he's pretty right. Weapons look worse than default, and maps are blockish and underdetailed, as for someone with Ravage's experience.

That wasn't very nice ellmo... :/
But honest though.

The new weapons aren't that horrid IMO. The designs are nice, only look a bit "modellish". All they need are better textures. Ravage has the bases (plus hands) 2d-tweakage would be very simple (and fun) on them from a graphics package (tablet recomended).

Kinda like this (comparsion):

(fucking numbers)

Maybe...

I was just going to play with Risen 3d. Lord, I'm so sick of sprites :/

Hehe, nah, i'm okay. Anyways, I like the guns, they are nice, but I think it's just the hands really. They look... off.

Nmn, that's pretty cool.

My weapons would probably look better if I used something other than procedural texture maps.. But I learnt UVW unwrap in class today, so I'll see what I can do.

,Also, to touch up every frame for the weapons would be quite daunting to me, because the animations are very dynamic (except for the rocket launcher.. eh)

Darkhaven said:

1. Your weapons look worse than the shit on Damage Inc.

That's real constructive.

2. That cyan palette shit has been thrown around in a few different mods I've seen, and (maybe it's just me) it looks like you're just throwing those nice shades of blue around like they're worthless. I'm serious, it looks like I'm seeing Marathon with DooM resources!

I happen to like that blue, and what's wrong with marathon?

3. Vanilla Doom can handle a bit more detail than that. I do like the simplistic look a little, though, but I think you're overdoing it. It looks a little newb-ey.

Call it style. I don't think it looks noobish at all.

4. Otherwise, I like your attempt for the most part, except for a few possibly-nitpicky texture quirks, like the shot with SW1EXIT under whatever that slime-fall texture is. It just looks BLEAH.

Yeah, that part DOES look like crap. I'll figure something out.

ellmo said:
But other than that, he's pretty right. Weapons look worse than default, [/B]

The weapons were done in 3d..aand i'm no professional.

and maps are blockish and underdetailed, as for someone with Ravage's experience.

That's real constructive.

Sorry, I'm not a weapons artist, that's not my department :P

I happen to like that blue, and what's wrong with marathon?

Go ahead and like whatever colors you want, just please try not to show off your new shades too much, as it WILL look like Marathon if you do. I don't mean to diss Marathon, it was a great game and I even map for it, but it's art direction on some maps was a little... ugly.

k

Yeah, that part DOES look like crap. I'll figure something out.

I'm glad to see that you're not colorblind like Sandy Petersen :)

Hehe, nah, i'm okay. Anyways, I like the guns, they are nice, but I think it's just the hands really. They look... off.

You're right, those hands look way too cartoon-ey and rubbery to be converted into good-looking sprites. The weapons themselves don't look too bad, just try to get some better looking hands attached to them, if you can.