Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Prime

The Enemies...

How cool would it be to actually SEE a human marine get possessed or eaten? I mean, the game already lends itself to an R rating, so it shouldn't be a problem. What would be really awesome would be to have an intro mission or something where people all around you are dying, and your objective is to rescue, destroy, and escape. Just imagine running around blasting demons while watching your friends get mutilated and turned to mindless zombies...especially if ID was to throw in a few instances beforehand where you get to know the hero's friends threw event discussion. This would enhance the feeling experienced when your buddies are being fragged all around you...

About the monster designs...people need to to quit bitchin about how ID better put in all the monsters from the original...unless this IS going to be a remake. I hope not. A new story and setting would be great. I like what we've seen so far. Don't worry about the factor of terrifying enemies, guys. I mean, not very many "scary" games out there actually make you piss your pants over them like Doom did. I trust ID to make some scary, gruesome, but realistic(be honest, folks, how many demons do you know that walk around with human-made cyborg bodies...unless they are demons that were captured in their mortal forms and enhanced by twisted scientists...hhmmm, interesting...) monsters. I'm sure ID is going to throw in a few from the original, which would be good for continuity.

Point? TRUST ID!

The realism I would like to see and the realism that the market could handle are two different things. I don't think I would like to see other marines getting mowed down left and right... it just doens't feel like Doom if you ask me... too intense followed by lonliness... seems unbalanced if you ask me. Demons eating people lying wounded on the ground? Sure, go for it. What I would like to see is the tortured people (the ones hanging from spikes/the walls in Doom) be still alive and in pain... the kind of thing that would make you sick to your stomach.

What I would like to see is the tortured people (the ones hanging from spikes/the walls in Doom) be still alive and in pain... the kind of thing that would make you sick to your stomach.

yes... this is what i've been hoping for too, the hanging soldiers always adds something, almost like they are mocking you...if nothing else, they are good decorators:P

I don't think it would be too unbalanced. For me, the problem with games like Doom and Quake is that they are so monotone. After a while I get sick of storming into room after room, killing baddies. I think the greatest games are the ones that can make you feel different emotions. Heck, if a game can make you feel any emotion it has something going for it. Is it soo hard for a FPS to make a connection with the player, other than on a primal level?? Did I get a tad off subject?

yes... this is what i've been hoping for too, the hanging soldiers always adds something, almost like they are mocking you...if nothing else, they are good decorators:P

That reminds me of one of Giger's paintings... one of his Landscapes I think... It was a wall of babies stacked on top of each other. Sounds kind of sick when it's put like that... I guess it's one of those things you just have to see to understand.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see some life given to those unfortunate soldiers hanging on the walls, impaled on the stakes, etc. When you see the horrific treatment of your comrades and fellow humans, it would tend to give you more of a sense of dread..."Oohh fuck...what am i doing here?!"

...plus it looks cool...

What I would like to see is the tortured people (the ones hanging from spikes/the walls in Doom) be still alive and in pain... the kind of thing that would make you sick to your stomach.

The twitching ones make my skin crawl.

Yeah, I totally agree Elipsus. Those bodies on the walls should be there because they are disturbing and you need those feelings if you really are going to kill every last beast that comes at you. I hope the audio guy really does a good job and overloads the place with sound. If a body is twitching on the wall, most of the time (if it doesn't have a huge spike right through the center of his chest) he should be moaning and calling for you help, requesting vengence. They should really make this as real as possible. Consider the human aspect to it. How would all these people react under these cicumstances.

Who here's played "They Hunger" for Half-Life? There are some really creepy bits inthe crazy doctor's lab, such as the still-moving inmate impaled on a meat hook, or the severed heads in the fishtank begging you to help them... That's the kind of creepy shit I'd like to see in Doom.

There's an idea... id could sign Neil Manke as a map designer.

I'd like to have to think when fighting the monsters in Doom. The monsters need to have weaknesses and immunities against different weapons, and on different parts of their body. One idea I've had: the Demon should have really thick skin, and should be practically invulnerable to hits to its hide. The best way to kill it would be to wait until it runs up to you and opens its mouth to bite, and then give it both barrels down its throat.

Or, throw a hand grenade into a Demon's open mouth, and run. The Demon would stumble around a choke for a second, and then explode. The flying chunks of demon-flesh would hurt nearby monsters too.

I got a dozen of 'em, if anyone cares.

I got a dozen of 'em, if anyone cares.

Sure, most people would love to hear them (and it might actually liven this place up a bit). If you are going to list your ideas out, though, make a separate post for it so it catches everybody's attention (and makes the post more orderly).

Okay, WHY IN THE BLUE FUCK do all post titles nowadays end with three dots ? "The Enemies..." "The manual..." "Will the storyline be good..." "The Doomguy's suit..."

IT ANNOYS THE SLIMY, PARASITE-INFESTED SHIT OUTTA ME.

There.

Okay, WHY IN THE BLUE FUCK do all post titles nowadays end with three dots ? "The Enemies..." "The manual..." "Will the storyline be good..." "The Doomguy's suit..."

I believe they are called ellipses...<--- and I started the fad SO PAY YOUR RESPECTS OR DON'T USE 'EM MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

seriously, I don't give a rat's ass who uses them and why they are so popular...

hey flathead, if the dots bother you so much then don't fuckin look at 'em.

where does it say that the demons modified themselves? i don't know of any official explanation, but in my opinion it would be an interesting story twist to find out that the government has been scientifically fuckin with things they ought not be...

Yeah, that would be nice, something like when your friends get hit, like one's head would smashed and crushed when he annoys a demon by shooting at it. WE WANT BLOOD! HELLUVA GORE AND BLOOD!

We have got ourselves a prime example of a smart newb. They are a rare breed these days...

We have got ourselves a prime example of a smart newb. They are a rare breed these days...

all too true BBG my friend, they are an endangered species... :P

I think that, seeing as how you are in literally the worst place in existence, you shouldn't be too afraid to have some dark content. I remember E3M4 (House of Pain) being more ghastly because of some of the structures - such as an inaccessible room where the floor is nothing but blood, and the only people there are the ones chained to the walls. Wouldn't that be a horrible thing to experience, even if you were the marine on the outside with a shotgun?

This message thread isn't a terribly happy one, you know that?

This message thread isn't a terribly happy one, you know that?

Of course not. Gothic-horror ambiance doesn't tend to be the most uplifting of topics. If you read a thread called "Enemies" expecting a bit about bunnies and duckies, you've come to the wrong board. Unless you're talking about the bunny at the end of Doom 1...

I think the horror theme would hit a little harder if you made it more personal. An idea: Early in the game, you should run into friendly NPC with distinct looks and personalities. Later in the game (when things get messy), you should be able to recognize that moaning corpse nailedto the wall as the cute chick you met in the cafeteria earlier. And she should be begging you to put her out of her misery.

Or worse, recognizing friendly NPCs that you met earlier, who have now become Former Humans or Lost Souls and are trying to kill you.

Yes, those extra "..." annoy the fuck out of me too. Mostly because people tends to make lousy titles, actually...

maybe we could see someone actually getting impaled, etc, or something similar to the processing plant in quake 2, yet more disturbing

Yes, those extra "..." annoy the fuck out of me too. Mostly because people tends to make lousy titles, actually...

okay, okay, okay. I guess it's just ABSOLUTELY neccessary that i choose a different title for this thread to stop the endless bitching.

how does "My Best Friend's a Zombie" sound for you?

...trivial bastards...

I would be really happy to see a monster or demon grabbing a marines head and ripping it of. Or it uses the body to gain more strenght or something like that. Sure it would be reallly cool to see marines or humans hanging on walls and still be living.

...trivial bastards...

No need to change the title, prime. It's just that we had like 300 threads called "The Enemies..." in the old forum software. It makes you wonder "Oh look, another one of these, i wonder if there's something good this time".

You didn't selected a bad choice for title. It's just that everyone uses the same. ^_^

Ironically, I'm listening to the Rage Against the Machine song, 'Know your Enemies'. Anyways, I think NPCs are a good idea...they are about the only way to add storyline in the middle of the game (except those silly pieces of text like in the origional Dooms). Doom 3 shouldn't have as many NPCs as Half-Life, maybe one every half-hour to hour of gameplay. They shouldn't be as helpful or mobile later in the game as in Half-Life. Maybe a marine or two in the beginning to help you out, but later on you'll just find people cowering in corners or nailed to walls.

Ironically, I'm listening to the Rage Against the Machine song, 'Know your Enemies'. Anyways, I think NPCs are a good idea...they are about the only way to add storyline in the middle of the game - snip - Doom 3 shouldn't have as many NPCs as Half-Life, maybe one every half-hour to hour of gameplay.

EDIT: I'm listening to 'Them and Us' by Bad Religion, ICYC.

I wanna have teammates, intelligent AI marines that will watch my ass and provide fire with whatever weapon's I'm not carrying. And it's gotta be a SMART AI, not the overrated Marines from Opposing Force who were supposed to be oh-so-smart but just ended up getting stuck around corners and squatting on top of grenades.

Think of it this way: If you have kept one NPC teammate with you a long time, and have helped them survive and improve, it'll be even more traumatic when you see them stapled to the wall in the last map of the game. ^_^

Damn straight! Unlike me, where I am a dumb newb!