• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

smoking

SMOKING IS COOL  

96 members have voted

1. 1. SMOKING IS COOL

• I don\'t smoke, but I don\'t mind if you do.
    • I don\'t smoke, and you can\'t either!
    • I do smoke, but I don\'t smoke around non-smokers.
    • I do smoke, and I don\'t give a fuck about your precious lungs.
    • I am andrewB

Ummm, last time I checked marijuana has a little bit more of an impact on your mental faculties than cigarettes do!!!!(in resonse to that post comparing mj to cigz)

Ralphis said:

Sorry, but nicotine isn't a mind altering drug you schmuck.

Sorry, but I've never been like "I NEED TO SMOKE A BOWL" and meant it like I literally NEEDED IT.

I have with a cigarette.

That is mind altering, not conciousness altering. It's making your mind CRAVE.

*puffs a cigarette, blows it in your face*

Wacky, you fuzzybear, that is a falsity. Marijuana contains no carcinogens AT ALL. It does NOT lead to lung cancer but increases the risk of it slightly, where-as cigarettes, it's pretty much a given.

Apparently, scientists have shown signs that Marijuana reacts with cancer but as of yet, they don't understand if it inhibits or excellerates growth (though some studies have said it shows signs of inhibition of growth with present tumors, though they didn't say anything about preventing it in the first place, merely that it would inhibit growth of tumors / cancerous cell build-up.

However, pot alters the way the lung tissue functions (unknown effects as of yet) and dialates the air-sacs (which is good). Pot burns at a higher temperature than tobacco so the smoke is hotter in your lungs (hence coughing).

baronofhell said:

Sorry but cigarettes aren't a mind altering drug you schmuck.

Nicotine does, it makes you crave it.

There are only 2 things in life a human truly craves AS IF THEY NEED IT :

Food
Water

Until you light get addicted to cigarettes, then put Smokes at the bottom of that list.

Ummm, last time I checked marijuana has a little bit more of an impact on your mental faculties than cigarettes do!!!!(in resonse to that post comparing mj to cigz)

When did I say that cigarettes had more of an impact than pot? Don't be a retard, pot gets you high, cigarettes don't alter you conciousness.

I chose option 3. But I will re-word it. I do smoke, but I try not to smoke around Non-smokers. Oh and I smoke Kool 100's. I'd say about 10 or so a day. Depending on how my day went.

Ralphis said:

Sorry, but nicotine isn't a mind altering drug you schmuck.

Marijuana isn't a physically addictive substance. You can develop physchological attachment to it however.

Nicotine, is physically addictive, and as a result will in return, manifest the physchological addiction. All commercial tabacco is cured and it greatly reduces the alkaloid content.

For hallucinogenic purposes, the leaves should be dried quickly, preferably in the shade or indoors, and without the application of heat. Uncured tobacco is very potent -- the Indians who used it would often pass out after as little as one cigarette, and "communicate with the gods." This type of tobacco should be smoked with caution. The danger here is death from overdose rather than addiction. When used as a ritual narcotic it is not smoked often enough to result in addiction.

Donce said:

...I imagine the right to breathe fresh air is already broken in large cities. Think about all the car exhaust and stuff. If you don't smoke, only visit restaurants where smoking is forbidden, etc, the city smog has way more effect on you than smokers.

However, I live in the country and the only unpleasant smell around here comes when one of the local farmers spread shit on their fields.

Anyway, I would imagine that breathing exhaust-fume laiden air is still better than breathing exhaust fume + tobacco smoke laiden air. Especially when someone elses choice enforces the less pleasant option on the one who doesn't smoke.

mallis said:

which over the course of my life (call it 50 years) will be 50'000. Pounds sterling.

I said it was a thorny issue, and one I'm not completely sold on. Where does it stop? Do people who over-eat get refused treatment? What about sports injuries?

However, your £50,000 is fuck all. 9 years ago my wife had cancer (we have no idea why). A relatively short course of chemotherapy cost £90,000 (according to the hospital) just for the chemicals that got flushed down the drain after a single use. I have no idea about the cost of the operation that came before it, the time in hospital or the follow-up treatment, tests and appointments that are still ongoing almost a decade later.

It's also a pretty sad situation to be in - "S'Okay to smoke because I've paid for my hospital treatment for when it completely fucks me over already".

POTGIESSER said:

Everybody's entitled to their own self destructive behavior.

Absolutely. Just as long as their self destructive behaviour or the consequences of it are not forced on to other people.

mallis said:

And I love how people complain about smokers in pubs giving them passive lung cancer, spoken with sincerity whist the complainer floods his body with alcoholic toxins. Yeah.

What about the people who work there? They might not drink and they can't exactly walk off during happy hour.

Never smoked in my life.

Yeah, I don't really care what smokers want to do to themselves, why should I? People who feel they can just smoke wherever they want next to whoever they want piss me off badly though.

I was at my little 5 year old niece's birthday the other day, and there were some little friends of hers and their parents. I walk in there and I see the children playing in a mist of cigarette smoke, the fucking redneck parents just keep on chatting and lighting up new ones. And they always do this. It's like they don't even think about it, as if they think hey, it's my fucking smoke and it's my right, don't you dare tell me what to do. And I'd want to just kick all their fucking teeth in.

Both my niece and her brother have lung problems. Don't try to talk to the smokers about it though, oh no, you'll be told off in that special way that smokers can. Yeah, I don't give a fuck if they keep it to themselves but unfortunately that's a rare thing.

Janderson said:

Thing is though, passive smoking is a major hazard. In England (can't remember the actual figure but) many pub workers die every year due to second hand smoke, and even mallis caught passive lung cancer.

Well yeah, if you work in a smoke filled room for years, your going to get it. But I just cant stand those people who start fake-coughing and yelling "oh you're killing me" when someone lights up 10 feet away from them. Don't be such a damn attention whore.

I'm not bothered whether they get banned or not, I'd prefer it, but I think some form of segregation is in order, or at least they could pay attention to designated smoking areas.

There you go...segregation.

Regular smoking makes would-be hot girls not sexy enough, so it's already pretty much a waste, aside from toxicity. Smoking should treated like alcohol; something you might do occasionally but not often, and not in the wrong places.

myk said:

Regular smoking makes would-be hot girls not sexy enough, so it's already pretty much a waste, aside from toxicity. Smoking should treated like alcohol; something you might do occasionally but not often, and not in the wrong places.

That might work if smoking weren't so universaly and psysicaly addicting.

Danarchy said:
That might work if smoking weren't so universaly and psysicaly addicting.

It sort of does work; it's not like it's not banned in many places in most countries. The reason it's less monitored than alcohol in many occasions is that you don't end up mentally sloppy, puking, sleepy, or knocked out from it.

Psyonisis said:

Smoke a Cuban and tell me that you don't feel high as fuck.

Trivial, but true. Nearly put me on my ass...

Danarchy said:

But I just cant stand those people who start fake-coughing and yelling "oh you're killing me" when someone lights up 10 feet away from them.

Fair enough, I guess non-smokers should look where they're going but surely confined spaces should be a no go zone for smokers.

http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/smoke.jpg
Tom Robbins ("Still life of a Woodpecker") said something like "The only way humans can be one with fire/smoke, is by smoking cigarettes."
I am all for smoker's rights.
I mean, smoking is just as bad as:
the sun and/or tanning
most meats
college
milk
the "American System"
religion (prolly the worst)
media (and/or Hollywood)
and last but not least, cybersex, creating an attraction to virtual people instead of real ones.
EDIT: forgot obesity, the fat guy across the room complains that you disgust him with your ciggy while he is downing a greasy human baby or two.
EDIT 2: almost forgot about industrial plants, I grew up in one of the most polluted parts of America, it smelled like rotten eggs in the morning, rained ash in the evening, and tanks imploded at night.
i mapped out a triangle where children were born retarded.
attacking smokers is really attacking the people, diverting the eye from bigger problems.

Dear smokers: You are paying lots of money to a very large corporation, to slowly kill you. You also lose lung capacity (eg. you can't run for shit). Also, you become addicted to it. Also also, you are putting other people at risk.

Why?

dear non-smoker, fudge off. People do lots of things to hurt themselves and eachother, many worse than smoking. that was the point of my retarded post above. anyways, it makes you look cool.
(sorry for the near double post)

College and religion? Damaging the body? Why don't you work out in between? The media wouldn't be as harmful if people just went outside once in a while.

Cybersex? Harmful? For the reason given you might as well include, poetry, story writing and reading.

Most of the things you have on that list aren't cigarette-harmful at all, or if they are it's because (with the food stuff) it's because of shitty storage or lack of self control. And a guy in a room crowded with burger addicts isn't going to suffer that much, unless of course the AirCon breaks.

American System? wtf?

jetflock said:

dear non-smoker, fudge off. People do lots of things to hurt themselves and eachother, many worse than smoking. that was the point of my retarded post above. anyways, it makes you look cool.
(sorry for the near double post)

Just because other people are doing far worse things doesn't give you the right to subject others to your poison.

jetflock said:

anyways, it makes you look cool.

When I see smokers light-up, to me it instantly makes them look like a dick. Often an ignorant smelly, inconsiderate dick at that. To me, a person who I thought looked attractive instantly has a lower appeal to me the moment they "spark-up". Rightly or wrongly, to me, it is automatically associated with bad breath, smelly clothes, smelly houses, dirtyness and general filth as well as a lack of consideration and personal weakness. I realise that isn't an accurate picture of many smokers, but that's the association for me.

Maybe it works for 1940's film stars in moody black and white publicity shots. However, most of the people I see smoking just look retarded with that silly smouldering appendage sticking out from between their increasingly yellow fingers or their screwed up face as the smoke from the cigarette clumsily dangling from their lips stings their eyes. They are not graceful style icons. They do not look cool.

Bah, fucking A. My state (Washington) just made it a law that no one is allowed to smoke in public here anymore. It takes effect in 30 days. I voted against it, but it looks like about 68% of this state is made up of fucking cocksucking nazis. BAH.

insertwackynamehere said:

alcohol is a mind altering drug but thats legal

and dn: I'm simply saying that tobacco is WORSE imo, I'm not necessarily defending either.

alcohol: can kill you from poisoning, or destroy your liver. alters mind, addictive to some

tobacco: destroys your lungs and gives you cancer, addictive

marijuana: hurts your lungs more than tobacco PER CIGGARETTE (but it should be kept in mind you dont go through a couple "packs" of joints a day unless you have issues), alters mind, NOT PROVEN TO BE ADDICTIVE

however take a look at none:
lungs are fine, liver is fine, addiction is not applicable, mind isnt altered

so, IMO, none is best. I was just saying out of the 3.

Simple, the government doesn't get their "OH MY GOD MY PRECIOUS MONEY"

Enjay said:

When I see smokers light-up, to me it instantly makes them look like a dick. Often an ignorant smelly, inconsiderate dick at that. To me, a person who I thought looked attractive instantly has a lower appeal to me the moment they "spark-up". Rightly or wrongly, to me, it is automatically associated with bad breath, smelly clothes, smelly houses, dirtyness and general filth as well as a lack of consideration and personal weakness. I realise that isn't an accurate picture of many smokers, but that's the association for me.

Maybe it works for 1940's film stars in moody black and white publicity shots. However, most of the people I see smoking just look retarded with that silly smouldering appendage sticking out from between their increasingly yellow fingers or their screwed up face as the smoke from the cigarette clumsily dangling from their lips stings their eyes. They are not graceful style icons. They do not look cool.

i wasn't being serious. dipshoot. to each they're own, as long as
you get out of my puffing face.

Graf Zahl said:

Just because other people are doing far worse things doesn't give you the right to subject others to your poison.

you don't understand what i am saying. anyways why don't you call up exxon mobil and tell them they don't have the right to dirty the air. do you own a car? do you live in a house/ apartment? they are doing more damage than ciggs. also, using that mentality, what gives YOU the right to eat meat, if meat is another living being? nature makes us all equal.

regardleass, and i am NOT joking now, smoking is, and always will be, romantic.
besides, i am suffering from everyones mundane mainstream "fuck you, all for me" mentality. i would rather die early than argue with a buncha nerds about why i want to kill myself/ the way i want to kill myself. we smoke because culture is dead, we smoke because art, nature and morality have been raped.
Some mod please end this, its just going to go on and on, and its just gonna get dirty.