• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

smoking

SMOKING IS COOL  

96 members have voted

1. 1. SMOKING IS COOL

• I don\'t smoke, but I don\'t mind if you do.
    • I don\'t smoke, and you can\'t either!
    • I do smoke, but I don\'t smoke around non-smokers.
    • I do smoke, and I don\'t give a fuck about your precious lungs.
    • I am andrewB

Don't smoke cigarettes, but the only real problem I have with smokers is when they're so addicted they don't even notice when they become hopelessly reliant.

I want to clarify something. I'll never give anyone who doesn't smoke a cigarette, EVER. I won't pressure a person to smoke pot but I will allow them to if they want to.

Yeah, so us non-smokers aren't forced into smoking, leaving more cigs for you! The world is right once again!

I went through a trist with smoking last year, starting out socially, then graduating to buying a pack of Salem Black Labels every couple of days. I was doing a bit more partying then, and everytime I would go out the urge for/subsuquent self-justification to have a smoke always had me lighting up. Eventually, as with all things, I got bored with it and just stopped.

Personally, I don't care if people smoke as long as they're not inconveniencing others or myself. It's their choice.

NailGunner said:

Eventually, as with all things, I got bored with it and just stopped.

Consider yourself lucky. I know a lot of people who weren't able to stop anymore.

Personally, I don't smoke and if someone lights up a cigarette in my company, be prepared for some not so nice remarks!

I've been smoking for 13.5 years, my average is ~15 cigarettes per day. I try not to discomfort non-smokers, but in my territory, e.g., my car, it's their problem. Of course, I still don't blow the smoke to a passenger's face, but to the open window :)

Graf Zahl said:

Personally, I don't smoke and if someone lights up a cigarette in my company, be prepared for some not so nice remarks!

I can just imagine you screaming MURDERER!

I smoke, but when I do it's either out of a window, away from everyone etc. I don't see why other people should have to suffer for my bad habit.

One of the types of people that really piss me off are the people that whine about people smoking all the time and want them to be banned for everywhere. The people who want to impose draconian anti-smoking laws so a person can't even smoke in their own home. The people that call smokers murderers because they think that tobacco smoke is like mustard gas or somehting. Fucking deal with it you jerkstores.

Oh, and I've never smoked a cigarette in my life.

...um, well not a tobacco one...

Danarchy said:

One of the types of people that really piss me off are the people that whine about people smoking all the time and want them to be banned for everywhere. The people who want to impose draconian anti-smoking laws so a person can't even smoke in their own home. The people that call smokers murderers because they think that tobacco smoke is like mustard gas or somehting. Fucking deal with it you jerkstores.

Thing is though, passive smoking is a major hazard. In England (can't remember the actual figure but) many pub workers die every year due to second hand smoke, and even mallis caught passive lung cancer. If people are inconsiderate enough to light up in off-limit or enclosed areas I'd like to exercise my right to make life that little bit harder for them. I also believe that if a guy intentionally blows smoke in my face I should be to inflict ABH and GBH without being charged for it. :P

I'm not bothered whether they get banned or not, I'd prefer it, but I think some form of segregation is in order, or at least they could pay attention to designated smoking areas.

Also it's not whining it's nagging, like when mom says; 'Put a jacket on, you'll catch your death of cold!'

I smoke USA Gold Lights, and I couldn't about anyone else well being, smoking or otherwise. You don't like smoke, go cry in a corner, breath in a paper bag and try and salvage the 30 seconds of life you might've lost breathing in 156 deadly toxins and chemicles. I hate non-smokers.

Yeah, non-smokers suck. Everytime I finish a cigarette, I have to drink some water to get the lingering taste off my tongue though.

I don't smoke and I don't care if someone else wants to smell like shit and ruin their health. I do care if their smoking makes me and my clothes smell like shit, makes me cough and hack and I care that our health service spends a fortune on people who have knowingly and willingly done something that destroyed their health over a number of years (although that's a thorny issue and has many implications for other conditions). I do care if someone in my company doesn't have the consideration to at least ask if I mind if they light up.

I get pissed off with smokers who bang on about their rights to smoke if they want to, whilst happily ignoring my right to breathe non-smoky air (which surely should be considered the basic right). Smoke if you like. Kill yourself with it, look like an ass, waste a fortune and cripple yourself. That's your choice and I'm OK with it. But don't bring me down with you.

While I do smoke, I agree that non-smokers shouldn't suffer. But...

I get pissed off with smokers who bang on about their rights to smoke if they want to, whilst happily ignoring my right to breathe non-smoky air (which surely should be considered the basic right).

...I imagine the right to breathe fresh air is already broken in large cities. Think about all the car exhaust and stuff. If you don't smoke, only visit restaurants where smoking is forbidden, etc, the city smog has way more effect on you than smokers.

you know, some people cant even sit next to someone in a restaurant who smokes even one cigarrette because they have severe asthma attacks, like my brother. its not just people acting like bitchy prudes, theres actually some logic behind the "dont smoke in public places" rules people want.

also it pisses me off how you have "OH NO SMOKING IS BAD CHILDREN" but at the same time smoking is considered to be socially acceptable (in general). also, how ciggarette companies entire advertising system is based on attracting people at a young age and at the same time they prance around with stupid posters saying "Don't Smoke Kids! This message brought to you by Phillip Morris!" the US government, meanwhile doesnt care because the tobacco industry is so big that they cant really do anything major and the europeans dont care because smoking is still even more acceptable over there regardless of the proven health risks.

And yet marijuana is considered to be so bad, people filling up the jails just for possesion. Its because of social acceptance, what makes tobacco that contains nicotine (a drug AS ADDICTIVE as heroin) more socially acceptable than marijuana? Its been around longer and is associated with rich white southern plantations from pre-civil war period. Marijuana on the other hand is (wrongly) linked to hippies and black people. Marijuana is done, for the most part, in a non-addictive way. "potheads" are people who just need to overcome psychological problems and get off thier ass and go do something. they arent physically/mentally addicted, just emotionally addicted. anyway alcoholics (alcolism is a real addiction I might add) dont stop people from drinking occasionally. To say every person who smokes pot is a "pothead" is as dumb as saying everyone who drinks a beer while watching a football game is in reality an alcoholic.

Donce said:

While I do smoke, I agree that non-smokers shouldn't suffer. But...

...I imagine the right to breathe fresh air is already broken in large cities. Think about all the car exhaust and stuff. If you don't smoke, only visit restaurants where smoking is forbidden, etc, the city smog has way more effect on you than smokers.

obviously you haven't seen a power supply to a pc in a smoker's house. one look at that will make you stop smoking, I fucking guarantee it.

Enjay said:

...and I care that our health service spends a fortune on people who have knowingly and willingly done something that destroyed their health over a number of years...

I buy a packet a day, three pounds of which is pure tax. That's over a thousand pounds a year going to the government on fags ALONE, which over the course of my life (call it 50 years) will be 50'000. Pounds sterling.

Don't you dare tell me that I don't have the right to healthcare. If every smoker stopped tomorrow the G would shit their collective pants and the NHS would fold tomorrow.

And I love how people complain about smokers in pubs giving them passive lung cancer, spoken with sincerity whist the complainer floods his body with alcoholic toxins. Yeah.

edit: and wacky, condoning one drug and condemming the other makes you look like a retard who doesn't know what he is speaking about. As usual.

Just for those of you wondering, fag is a UK term for cigarette. But you probably figured that out.

I like the occaisional cigar. Smokers don't bother me much. There's few places for them to smoke inside around here, so it's not that great of a problem. Not to mention they have this new bylaw in the city of Vancouver. They have to close the patios in bars by 10:30pm.

Everybody's entitled to their own self destructive behavior.

I do smoke, I don't smoke near non-smokers, I do smoke near AndrewB.

I don't see that option.

Oh wait, we already have 6 "AndrewB"s

insertwackynamehere said:

And yet marijuana is considered to be so bad, people filling up the jails just for possesion. Its because of social acceptance, what makes tobacco that contains nicotine (a drug AS ADDICTIVE as heroin) more socially acceptable than marijuana?

Sorry, but nicotine isn't a mind altering drug you schmuck.

Ralphis said:

Sorry, but nicotine isn't a mind altering drug you schmuck.

alcohol is a mind altering drug but thats legal

and dn: I'm simply saying that tobacco is WORSE imo, I'm not necessarily defending either.

alcohol: can kill you from poisoning, or destroy your liver. alters mind, addictive to some

tobacco: destroys your lungs and gives you cancer, addictive

marijuana: hurts your lungs more than tobacco PER CIGGARETTE (but it should be kept in mind you dont go through a couple "packs" of joints a day unless you have issues), alters mind, NOT PROVEN TO BE ADDICTIVE

however take a look at none:
lungs are fine, liver is fine, addiction is not applicable, mind isnt altered

so, IMO, none is best. I was just saying out of the 3.

insertwackynamehere said:

marijuana: hurts your lungs more than tobacco PER CIGGARETTE

AFAIK, it's all about paper. Which is very toxic, no matter how much the tissue is thin. After... subtracting paper toxiness, you will see, taht tobacco isn't really that much poisonous. Try smoking from a pipe, or try smoking cigars. The're much healthier - if you can say that...

I swear I've never heard that theory before, which is extra surprising considering there are six of me.