Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kenny McCormick

How long have you played Doom?

How long have you been playing Classic Doom?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been playing Classic Doom?

• Since before 1.666 (pre-Sept. 1994)
    • Since 1.666 (Sept. 1994)
    • Since 1.9 (Last version)
    • Since Doom 3 came out (You n00b!)

Graf Zahl said:

You forgot one of the most important options:

Since Doom was released (Dec 1993)!

That comes under since before 1.666, since 1.666 was the first non-beta version.

Been playing since early 1994 - the 0.99 shareware. I believe I still have the magazine I got it off somewhere. It was an issue of UK PC Review with some guy playing a sax on the cover.

Kenny McCormick said:

That comes under since before 1.666, since 1.666 was the first non-beta version.

That's new to me.

1.666 was the first Doom 2 version. The first real non-beta Doom version was 1.1 in December 1993.

That date is very important and leaving it out of such a poll automatically invalidates it as incomplete.

Graf is basically right - 1.1 followed 1.0 by a matter of days in December 1993.

I started sometime in 1994, probably around the time I entered grade 4 (I don't recall playing it earlier that year, when I was still in grade 3). My dad had the shareware version of Doom 1, and somehow we got it running on our outdated 386, heh.

I came in somewhat late, but not that late. Less than a year. First thing I had was 1.2 shareware.

My step-dad had some bootlegged floppies of Doom 2 1.666. My brother and I would play coop nearly every weekend. I was confused when I bought the Doom 95 version (1.9) and the bars before the first switch in Underhalls were missing.

First version I played 0.9 Share Ware from a cover disk. December '93

First version I bought (and still have) 1.1 full. Ordered December '93.

Since 94. Doom 1 1.6

With a pause from 96 to 97, when I got it on the PSX then. Then back to Real Doom in 2002, on ma machine.

First played a limited amount of sharware doom and then doom 2 around 94-95 at a friends house. My family finaly got a computer/internet in '97 and I got ultimate doom and doom 2 for my own. I ended up finding age of empires and quake shortly after that and forgot all about doom until around 00-01 when I discovered legacy.

96-97ish

And I highly doubt anyone with a time machine would be willing to let anyone else "borrow" it without a large deposit and/or rental price.

I remember downloading a zip file that had a bunch of pcx images of the game in various stages of devolopment. in the spring of '93 or so around the time i geuss the alpha's were floating around. the bbs's around here were in a buzz of what this game would turn out to be, kind of a larger than life sort of thing until the demo's and the game hit later that year. people were even uploading the full version of the game to un-suspecting bbs's to get the exitement of it out there. you just had to call a bbs and look at the file size of the "game" to figure it out. all in all the best times of my (computering) life.

Early 1994. It would be possible for me to track down the exact date when I got hold of the shareware (by checking though a mass of floppies scattered around the house), but I can't be bothered right now.

I remember the days of the floppy...it's just they my friends used them (and gave me the registered WadAuthor, which was sadly lost when my first computer's first hard drive melted down), but I got UDooM and DooM ][ (and soon later, Final DooM) on CD ROM.

I played the SNES Doom on my PC via ZSNES after hearing about how awesome Doom was. The SNES version almost made me puke, but now that I got the pc version after Doom 3 came out I actually know what people are talking about!

I remember playing the SNES version...that was my first true taste for the game, like, where I got to play without skilled teens were looking over my shoulder and taking over every two seconds...or just playing Map01 for the millionth time.

I've been playing pirate DooM ][ since '94 or '95, I can't remember exactly when. I ended up buying a genuine copy because DEHackEd just wouldn't work right.

I downloaded a warez-ed copy of the game in 2003, and finally bought the collecter's edition this spring.

Started playing in September '96.
Got my own computer (a 486 for the next 4 years) in January '97.
Connected to the net July '97... wow, I've found a big community, zillions of demos, that was so cool.

Since 0.99 Shareware... or whatever it's version was. But it was definitely shareware, and it was back in late '93.

It's an on-again, off-again kind of thing. I think I got the shareware version of Doom in December of 95, then the Ultimate Doom during the summer of 97 and got Doom 2 about two years ago.