Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gibaholic

Should I buy this card?

I have a crappy compaq computer, with a amd sempron 2.1 ghz processor 192 ram and I was going to buy a nvidia geforce 6800 ultra to play doom 3 on my crap computer, just curious the minimum specs say I could get it to work but I want a consumer opinion on it.

Well, I've never used a GeForce above the 4 series, but apparently the GeForce 6800 Ultra kicks ass and will hardly lag at all.

It's your choice.

I have an 6800 Ultra PCIE, it is sweet with DooM3, Serious Sam II, FEAR, and Quake 4 at pretty high settings (/w 2.4ghz & 1gb ram)

Only precautions you should have about this card is whether you have a good power supply; anything under 480W is not recommended.

If you have good power, make sure you have good ventilation as the 6800 Ultra gets hotter than most cards; but I'm using it with a SFF so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also make sure you have enough slots if you get a 2-slot one.

I've never had any experience with the semprons so I cant say anything about that, but you're going to need more ram.

The card itself will eat up doom3 as long as the rest of your system is up to par.

kc32 said:

I'd put a lot more ram then 192 MB in there. At least 512MB.

Right! Like *WOW*, what the fuck is this insaneous amount of RAM doing with that processor? 512MB is an basolute must-minimum! 1024 if you'd like to run something more than super-low-detail.

I only have 512MB of ram and I can run medium quality at max resolution fairly well with my GeForce4.

Bashe said:

I only have 512MB of ram and I can run medium quality at max resolution fairly well with my GeForce4.

I can hardly belive that... you sure you're not talking about ZDoom ?

ellmo said:

I can hardly belive that...you sure you're not talking about ZDoom ?

There was a time that I could run it at high quality pretty good but it stopped running so well...so I switched to medium and it ran just fine.

...that had better not have been a sarcastic post...

Bashe said:

...that had better not have been a sarcastic post...

Oooh, I'm shakin' in my boots.

Heh, my sarcasm detector is broken anyways.

So, I'd consider getting the GeForce 6800 Ultra if you want. It should run everything fine.