Do you like it?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• It is teh best Metal evar!
    • OK
    • Meh
    • Stupid pop crap! MAYHEM RULESGRRRR!
    • I am afraid of moshpits

I like (and am now addicted to) metalcore; it's like nu-metal it's alright to listen to (hey, j/k, I like some of that too) since where the latter would have hip-hop influences, metalcore prefers some revivalism, adhering to traditional thrash and groove metal.

However, I think it's getting too popular and fashionable (happened to nu-metal), and most bands of the genre are starting to sound very similar (or, like Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God, they stick to a formula and repeat it ad nauseum). In fact, I wouldn't too surprised if any band that plays another kind of metal would suddenly do a very metalcore album like Soulfly did (probably after Roadrunner Records realized their traditional nu-metal style wouldn't stick much now).

What do you think of it?

I just sit around listening to modest mouse all day, personally. Although I do see multiple lamb of god shirts at school, and 1 hoodie.

Uninspired, unimaginative throwback to Boston/New York hard-core from the late 80's/early 90's with more arpeggios. You can see the breakdowns coming a mile away with the clean vocals and minor guitar scales. The songs sound like 15 drop C riffs in a top hat, stirred up and wherever they happen to land, thus is the structure of the song. Then there are the math-rock bands with little to no musical credibility what-so-ever. It doesn't take a genius to play the same D chord in a 4/7 time signature when there's no note changes at all. Wowee, three guitars to do what? Harmonise the same harmonic minor scale that's been used since some cave twat decided to carve out a bamboo shiv to play around the campfire. To top it off, the 'musicians' themselves act like they're the next incarnation of Nicolo Paganini.. and everyone know's that's Yngwie Malmsteen.

I like queens of the stone age, korn, tool, some slipknot, some green day, NIN, and every now and then I listen to Bone if I wanna be reminded of my teenage years, when I was still fooling people into thinking I was hip. By the way, Korn fell off because everyone realized how much of a girly man JD is. That's just what I think though.

If it has '-core' fixed to the end of the genre, then it's likely too trendy for my tastes.

I stick the the whole power/thrash/doom metal thing, listening to all the music I missed in the 80's while I was sitting in the back of the car, while my parents controled the dial.

Where's the "what the Hell is metalcore?" option?

/me rocks out to some ohGr

Metalcore is really starting to annoy the hell outta me, but there are a few of them I like (Trivium, Himsa, few others) so I'll go with 'OK'.

I've been into Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God for a while now. I also like the likes of Shadows Fall etc. Melodically metalcore can be quite cool, and that's the main reason I listen to it. Of course I listen to other stuff too (thrash, death, melodic death, etc.) so I'm not confined to just this sub-genre. You like what you like, I'm not going to argue with anyone about that.

I've seen killswitch live, they're pretty good. Shadowsfall is pretty dope, they do some pretty neat accoustic shit. Lamb of God, is dogshit. I listened to their latest release and didn't like it at all. I was at this skidbar one night and these dudes had just came back from this Lamb of God concert.

I started bs'in with 'em about bands and stuff and told them I didn't like Lamb of God. They told me to "listen to their old shit, it fuckin rules." So I gave their old shit a listen to, and I still arrived at the conclusion of dogshit.

i hate metalcore on the premise that the hardcore-emo crossover group listens to it.

Lamb of God is the only metalcore band i can stomach, and its not even that good. NOLI TANGERE ME! BLACK FUCKING METAL!

Ed said:

Uninspired, unimaginative throwback to Boston/New York hard-core from the late 80's/early 90's with more arpeggios. You can see the breakdowns coming a mile away with the clean vocals and minor guitar scales. The songs sound like 15 drop C riffs in a top hat, stirred up and wherever they happen to land, thus is the structure of the song. Then there are the math-rock bands with little to no musical credibility what-so-ever. It doesn't take a genius to play the same D chord in a 4/7 time signature when there's no note changes at all. Wowee, three guitars to do what? Harmonise the same harmonic minor scale that's been used since some cave twat decided to carve out a bamboo shiv to play around the campfire. To top it off, the 'musicians' themselves act like they're the next incarnation of Nicolo Paganini.. and everyone know's that's Yngwie Malmsteen.

my thoughts exactly. I was a big fan of the old NYC hardcore, and these metalcore brats are watered down, over comercialized versions of that mixed with melodic thrash. I listen to most types of metal, but metalcore bores me mostly. my personal faves of the genres are death, black, power, thrash, and some good cheesy hair metal throw in for good measure (hell, I'm an '80's kid). I don't only listen to metal, but thats the bulk of my collection. I'm into rock music going back to the '50's and classical music as well.

Killswitch? They used to be an industrial type band I think, when they were called Killswitch...Click. Or is that another entirely different band with a similar name?

Danarchy said:

entirely different band with a similar name.

Metalcore and nu-metal are killing heavy metal. IMO ever since bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit got huge metal form the states has sucked.

True Norwegian black metal is the best metal out there.

Danarchy said:

Where's the "what the Hell is metalcore?" option?

So I voted "I'm Afraid of Moshpits" instead.

Yeah, and then when "true noreweigna metal music" or whatever get's popular then it will suck too. That seems to be the trend with metal junkies, when something get's popular, you all turn you back on them, and pick another form of underground rebelious music. It's so much of a cycle it's not even funny.

baronofhell said:

Yeah, and then when "true noreweigna metal music" or whatever get's popular then it will suck too. That seems to be the trend with metal junkies, when something get's popular, you all turn you back on them, and pick another form of underground rebelious music. It's so much of a cycle it's not even funny.

No real Black Metal form Norway will never get huge. Most real black metal bands dont want to be populer.They make there music for a certian group of people and thats it. You will never see a Dark Thorne video on mtv. You will never hear a Gorgoroth song in the raido. In fact Black Metal is far form undergound. It has been around for years and it has a big fallowing. The reason that most people in the states dont know about it is that fact that it started as part of the Satanic movement in Norway.