Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ellmo

Battlefield 2

Anybody playing this over the net?

If so, what are your nicks, ranks, and oppinions on the game? Favourite class, map and equipment.

I myself play mostly as the Medic or SpecOps (G36C owns in every map), and I despise snipers. As for the equipment, the ones I use the most are buggies. Fast, nimble, and they don't make that good target for bombers and choppers. And since I prefer to fight on foot - buggies take me where I need to go.

But attack choppers are my favourite. I'm not very good at piloting them, although I obviously have at least a bit of skill already. It's just those choppers are rare to get. If a real pro pilots it, you won't be seeing it on the ground for a looong time.

And my favourite maps are "Strike at Karkand", "Sharqi Penninsula" and "Mashtuur City"... Citymaps rule. Say a loud no to joystick pilots!

Well, I have the demo. I'll probably be getting the full version this week.

So far, I'm most comfortable being an engineer. I can't hit long range worth shit, so I'm better getting up close and filling people's chests with pellets. Vehicle mines rock, too. Fixing cars is handy. My backup class is Antitank, but that's really only if the spawn point is getting overrun. It's also worth mentioning that my experience with the game was 10x better after I learned about squads.

I don't have a favorite vehicle yet, but I know what you're saying with the buggies. It's only worth riding around when you've someone at the gun, though. I like the airplanes better than the choppers (unless I'm the gunner). Someone who really knows how to fly a chopper can own the entire map.

The best part is laying mines across the enemy's airstrip. Hee hee!

I haven't even played the demo. I'll stick with bf1942/sw/dc.

Say a loud no to joystick pilots!

Don't tell me you use the keyboard to fly aircraft...

I only just got into the first battlefiled.

Quast said:

You mean you can use a joystick?

how do you set it up?

Well, I don't have a joystick so I have no idea how they are set up. But I imagine if it is hooked up and working you just change the flight control key bindings.

I use a logitech dual action controller and that is how I set it up. For some reason taxiing a plane around sucks using the controller though. But for flying, it is oh so much better.

Ive put off buying BF2 due to the resource problems mentioned in several reviews and various other reasons. I am more than happy to stick with bf1942 and DC - at least I can still play CTF and all the other modes.

I started flying with the kb, but have since progressed to flying with the mouse (i use the kb occasionally when I need to do tight turns).

Quast said:

No... I use mouse + kb; kekeke! Oh, but I don't use those flying coffins anyway, do I? You see, the only thing you can do in an ariplane is kill other soldiers. While you can be avery good pilot and own all ground forces - this becomes boring. At least IMO, since I'm not a good pilot. When on Foot, you can take flags, assist your allies, take cover and feel like a real grunt. That's what I like the most.

Of course Tanks are also hillarous weapons. But getting a tank is very hard, as n00bs do exactly that all game long.

Indeed. And getting your asshole teammates to wait 5 seconds so you can man the mounted guns is even harder.

You figure they'd be more patient, seeing as how they spend more than half the time waiting to respawn. Why? Because the base is overrun and they're driving/flying around for a whole second completely defenseless.

(Had a crappy team last night)

Bucket said:

(Had a crappy team last night)

Happens to me very often. But when you get the right team... it's sometimes 100 and more scores.

I switched back to Anti-Tank, whom I have played long before. With a little practice, especially with bling rocket shooting, this appears to be the deadliest class. DAO-12 from short distance kills everything, unlike the overrespected PKM or other shit. And LAWs, are the best sniper weapons available. They also take out tanks pretty well :)

I have just finished playing a game, and I had 100+ pts, even though my n00b-team lost. I'm the last guy to call people around n00bs, but when you get to play with newbies, or lamers - you simply know it. The other team raped us around 200-0... With little more experience, my AntiTank tactis will own! Yay!

After playing the PC version of Halo online for a long time, and having to deal with annoying assholes who camp the Banshee and kill everyone, including team mates, I don't think I ever want to play an online game with vehicles ever again, especially flying ones. Having said that, I have been thinking about getting Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, which looks better to me than Battlefield 2 does.

the only online games I ever play are ones with vehicles (and skulltag ofcorse). oh, and there's nothing better then shooting down an enemy plain in a good old fasion dogfight! Bliss!

but it's not like I don't do my part for the war effort eather. I'll man gun turrents, i'll try to help squad mates. I don't constantly sit on my arse at spawn points...

Captain Red said:

I don't constantly sit on my arse at spawn points...

That's right. If you play this kind of games, you play to enjoy them; not grab as many points as you can. The most important thing in BF 2 (and any other team based game) for me, is helping my team win. It doesn't really matter on which place I'll end the game. If there still is a possibility to win - I'll do my best. But if all seems that the game has been lost 5 minutes before ending... I'm sorry, but it's only for my individual points now.

Oh, and you don't have to worry about people camping at the vehicles. There are hundreds of servers, and you'll always find a decent company to play with. Tkae into account, that if 32 people are playing, four campers don't change the tide of war. If you're having trouble capturing one specific flag, or getting a specific vehicle, the only advice I can give is - try something different for a while. Force the enemy to move from where he's sitting. Capture distant flags quickly and move around the map, so they can't get you easily.

I really can't be to picky about servers. there are usally about 4 servers with playable pings (under 250, thankyou bigpond) and 2 of them acully have a decent amount of players.

the are a some nice Australian servers but there're only populated at certain times of the day.

ellmo said:

Oh, but I don't use those flying coffins anyway, do I? You see, the only thing you can do in an ariplane is kill other soldiers.

Not unlike the rest of the vehicles or running around really, aside from taking flags.

In bf1942 anyway, if you're a good pilot you can gank foot soldiers with your prop as you fly by. If you're really good, you can do this upsidedown. Taking the B17 on gazala and el alamein and bombing enemy plane campers over and over is good times as well.

If I have one major gripe with this game, it's the pop-up info aspect. Specifically, teams.

I see someone moving across my screen. I have no idea whose team he's on (considering that sometimes the fog/environment doesn't allow for good visible confirmation) until the colored text pops up. It can take up to 5 seconds for that to happen; I could also wait to see if he starts firing at me.

This is compounded by some weird glitch people have been exploiting that shows players as on the wrong team.

Anyway, yeah. This has gotten bad enough that I just got kicked for excessive teamkilling. I'm not even sure I was-- most of the time, I'm reserved and get shot by unidentified people rather than TK. Anyway, it's just fucked up. Doesn't mean I don't like the game. I certainly hope that this isn't the last BF2 patch.

Incidentally: the autorun program prompts me to install an NVIDIA driver. I know my drivers are updated; is this actually a mini-driver specifically for the game?

heh, I've been tooling arond with Modern Combat (the ps2 version). and I have to say, they did a pretty darn good job with the singleplayer. I didn't think there was a way to make battlefield fun in single player, but they did it. almost worth te cover price. Though I'm pretty sure a lot of people who'd disagree.

Bucket said:

Incidentally: the autorun program prompts me to install an NVIDIA driver. I know my drivers are updated; is this actually a mini-driver specifically for the game?

Nope at the time that BF2 shipped it was the best driver for the game. If you are up to date dont bother using it.

As for your team killing problem. It took me a bit to get use to it also. Try and keep an eye on your raidor if they are not a blue dot fire away.

Captain Red said:

Do the choppers handel tha same way they do in Desert Combat? (ie, am I going to end up upsidedown)

The same way as what? I'm just going to say no. Only because the choppers in dc and bf:v don't even handle the same way. dc choppers are quite touchy. It took me a long damn time to get used to them. Even now, I can maneuver about and attack just fine but I have trouble hovering near flags and landing. It's all in your control scheme too.

You will end up upside down though :)

Well Special Forces has been out for a bit. I must say that its worth the 29.99 if you have BF2. The new maps kick ass and the game play is more about ground punding. The new guns and tools make for some crazy game play moments. There is nothing like shooting tear gas or flash bang into a group of people and mowing them down.

Bucket said:

I have no idea whose team he's on (considering that sometimes the fog/environment doesn't allow for good visible confirmation)

Isn't that the point of the game?

until the colored text pops up. It can take up to 5 seconds for that to happen;

I'd rather see the text never coming. But oh well, some games force you to recognize enemies by their models/skins only... others don't. For instance, if an USMC soldier steals T90, how will his teammates know he's an ally? Everything has it's purpose.

This is compounded by some weird glitch people have been exploiting that shows players as on the wrong team.

It's a bug. A bug DICE can't get right with.

Anyway, yeah. This has gotten bad enough that I just got kicked for excessive teamkilling.

You were just kicked by an admin to make room for server clanmates or donors. Happens a lot. Not sure why this strange message apperas, tho'

the autorun program prompts me to install an NVIDIA driver.

Autorun's a no-no.

Bucket said:

Well Special Forces has been out for a bit. I must say that its worth the 29.99 if you have BF2. The new maps kick ass and the game play is more about ground punding. The new guns and tools make for some crazy game play moments. There is nothing like shooting tear gas or flash bang into a group of people and mowing them down.

Yeah, SF is really a good addon. I do complain alot about the weapons being a bit monotonous (AKs everywhere), but those few new vehicles (pitchfork! YAY), new gadgets (FBangs, gas grenades, Ziplines and Grapps), and very good maps (Ghost Town, Leviathan, the Iron Gator...) will keep you entertained for a few weeks. IF YOU'RE INTO these kind of games that is.
...oh, and no jets in Special Forces - kudos to DICE.