Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Macro11_1

SONY uses Crippleware for Antipiracy

http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-012-lq.mp3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Meh, I dont know, ive been trying to spread this information because I just dont like its impact. Oh well, Read and listen and make your own thoughts if you wish. I just think Sony is not in the right and should be slapped worse than when microsoft was forced to split in to two companys.(least thats something I heard that happened... at the time I didnt follow that very closely)

Maximum PC says the Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats using this anti-piracy technology (AACS) could also be implemented in PC optical drives as well. For PC, it could go as far as requiring an internet connection.

I always buy games new, so I could really care less, as long as it isn't buggy or broken in what it is supposed to do.

This would be total market suicide and they know it. Chances of this making it into the PS3 : Close to zero. Especially after people are pissed from that Rootkit DRM business.

Maybe when Trusted Computing has been out for awhile and people are then used to the idea of not actually owning what they've bought .. they'll put it out.

It might cause Sony's DRM to not work, but it's still on your system, still very difficult to remove, and other spyware can hide along with it reguardless.

If they released a tool that cleaned the DRM alltogether, and made it freeware, I would be much more impressed.

I think a thread merging is in order.

OT: Sony can do whatever the fuck they want with their products. Buy them or don't. Or use your leftover PC parts to make a dummy system.

Bucket said:

Sony can do whatever the fuck they want with their products. Buy them or don't.

Yes, but only as long as they make it clear on those products exactly what they do.

Like if a box of chocolates included one that exploded within your mouth, it should say so on the box and carry a warning label.

gatewatcher said:
I tried a DVD burning program the other day, made by slysoft, found this: http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

The page says "Sony DRM Rootkit Virus"... right. Though like with anti-virus apps, there's someone eager to make a buck to go with an annoyance the software you're about to buy requires or inherits, in this case building an arbitrary market over corporate efforts to exacerbate the profits from media products. There are some free alternatives for DVD region protection, though, or even region free players.

Region free players are the shit. Not only are they great, but they're cheaper than anything you'll find in your typical electronic store. Got mine from an asian night market for $55.00

Grazza said:
Like if a box of chocolates included one that exploded within your mouth, it should say so on the box and carry a warning label.

However, the authorities wouldn't be able to press charges against the manufacturers of the box of chocolate if it contained something extremely nasty (like the cherry fondue).

Not exactly. It's more like, when you play a game for the first time on the console, the name of the game and maybe a serial number is written into memory or in a special place (a game table with a list of #'s). If you try to play a game that is not registered on the machine, the system will shut down and not allow you to play it. This would mean that if, say, you lost you're copy of the game, you could never play it again, even if you bought another copy of the same game somewhere else. As long as Game X, Serial # Y is registered on that machine, that's the only machine that can play it.

Frankly, if they pull this off, I'm sure pirates will create a special disk or what have you that erases the game table, or modded versions will simply have it removed. Hell, they're might even be pirated versions of the console itself with missing DRM components. All I can say is, Sony will only lose money if they even dare try this sort of thing. That and make piracy more palatable to people who would otherwise avoid it.

[KoZ]MatthewPe2 said:
If Sony did this, people wouldn't buy their console, they know it. This is very unlikely to make it into PS3.

I find that kindof hard to believe, since alot of the PS2 games are easily copied and revenue is lost.

Derrick said:
PS2 games are easily copied and revenue is lost.

Not lost, just not gained. They never had it.

I think I'll stick to my Xbox 360 for now. I'm a little skepical about buying the PS3 when it comes out as MGS4 looks like it could flop just like MGS3 was IMO. But if they try to use this little scheme I will simply not buy anything from Sony at all. We'll all have to wait and change.