• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Did DOOM disappoint you?

gargoylol said:

as soon as i fired the plasma rifle for the first time

"what the fuck, i dont want to use this gun anymore"

Which plasma rifle? The classic Doom one, or Doom3 one?

I actually liked the doom 3 plasma gun. If you ask me it sounded better than any of the other guns, especially when you have a woofer for the bass!!

Doom 64's and PSX Doom's plasma gun sound sounded really nice to me. Heh, I still remember what it sounded like on the PC speaker on my 386.

HAha I remember the first time I beat the doom demo for PC, the first time I beat episode one, I was pretty young, I thought that the "two badasses" you kill as described in the ending text were actually the monster's names. I pronounced it ba-DASsas, and I went around saying "you have to kill the badassas at the end".

I always wanted episode 2 and 3, it was just pure magic. I wanted more, then I lost interest in doom after a very long time and playing the same episode so many times... I was too young to realize I could have got the other two episodes easily... then my brother got Duke Nukem 3d and I forgot about doom until much later when I started modding it...

I can't name really any disappointments, no game I've ever played has had quite the same effect doom had on me, and I only ever played the first episode with no plasma gun or BFG (however I did play doom2 later at a friend's house a couple times).

EDIT: Wait, of course I could name some disappointments. I just don't feel like writing them now.

Games just don't have that special something anymore.

Ultimate Doom
- The fourth episode was very weak. Nothing new or exciting.

Doom II
- Map30 boss. I think its a stupid idea. I was expecting to fight a really hard demon. But I find a wall that spits cubes. I think it should of spit out all the enemies except the Cyberdemon and The Spider Mastermind (They should of been spat out on nightmare).
- Some of the later maps get kind of repetative

The thing that really bothers me about Doom maps though, maps that have names like "The Factory" yet the map has nothing that resembles a factory at all.

Technician said:
The Plasmagun for Doom 3 had the most generic lazer sound ever.

No, The Blaster from Quake 2 had the most generic lazer sound ever.

Oh and PSX dooms plasmarifle sounds awsome.

Lets face it, the Icon of Sin is the worst idea for a final boss in any FPS ever. The fact that both of the Final Doom IWADs had it AGAIN as the final boss only compounds the error even further.

I actually LIKED the Icon of Sin. =^/

As for me, I arrived on the bandwagon only in 2004, and I have not played Doom 3, so...

Good:
-Remarkably fun and spooky for a 12-year-old game franchise.
-UDoom, Doom II and Final Doom have some pretty nice levels even by modern game standards.
-Anything that's the base for Aliens TC can't be all bad.
-I like making imps go splat. =^D
-The Hell levels in E3 of UDoom are a trip.
-I got UDoom, Doom II and Final Doom for $10. 100+ levels of classic goodness for that price? Can't go wrong there!
-I have some aspiration of being a game designer someday, and the Doom engine is a good and cheap start for me!

Bad:
-Spider Mastermind on E3M8 of UDoom is a tad easy if you know what you're doing. Hell, I even beat it once without firing a shot. Wanna know how? I had the -respawn parameter active and just let the Mastermind's minions beat him into submission after I tricked the SMM into shooting them.
-BFG9000 seems to feel less satisfying after a while. This is probably the result of playing WADs such as Hell Revealed where heavy artillery is NECESSARY and not just a bonus. =^P
-UDoom in general is a bit too easy on medium difficulty, though scenic.
-The lack of a new final boss in Evilution and Plutonia is a tad disappointing, but what the hey.

KwadDamyj said:
-Spider Mastermind on E3M8 of UDoom is a tad easy if you know what you're doing. Hell, I even beat it once without firing a shot. Wanna know how? I had the -respawn parameter active ...

It's possible even without -respawn. You need quite a lot of luck though.

Grazza said:

It's possible even without -respawn. You need quite a lot of luck though.

Where the heck do you keep your magic hat that you pull all of these links out of?

*downloads/plays demo*

Holy cow! I'm not sure whether that's awesome or just incredibly funny for some reason! =^D

I was never dissapointed in doom. I got the shareware the day it came out and the rest is history. I had been really into Wolfenstein so doom was huge improvement. I suppose I was disapointed when I started doing mods and found out you couldn't have two rooms on top of eachother or put enemies on a bridge above you, but that was a fairly minimal dissapointment. Having to pay $140 for 4 megs of ram to get Doom 2 to run on my system sucked more. Then I found out how to do a Dos bypass on win 3.1 later and was even more pissed, but I suppose in the long run it wasn't that big of deal. I also hated the long distance bills when using DWANGO. I loved the service, but could afford to play it more than about 3 hours a month. I didn't know that many people that played back then. The only big dissapointment to me in Doom has been Doom 3. It's not that it is a bad game, but ut was way over-hyped. I enjoy playing it more and more as time passes, but intially it failed to live up to the hype and I didn't like it much. On last dissapointment was the lack of jumping and bullet holes in the walls in Doom 2 after playing Rise of the Triad.

Ultimate Doom was Dooms retailed version. They tacked on a above level episode with it to attract us the buyer. It came out about three years after Dooms release.

Heh, there were some things that dissapointed me too...
1. The Barons of Hell
When I first heard that name my first thought was of: A large dark humanoid monster covered with satanic tatoos and coated with blood. What turned up? A big bipedal PINK goat that tosses green junk at you.
After all the hideously carved monsters taken straight out of the mind of a mad man; I expected something large and carved straight out of insanity. What I didn't expect and even laughed at, was the big oversized brain on a set of robot legs that was even easier to kill then the Cyber Demon.

If the Icon of Sin was something besides a large set of textures, it could have been really freaky.

The thing I liked about the demo for Doom was that it contains something you don't see too often now adays... 1/3 of the entire game.

Yeah...the SMM was such a dud. After you get over the "OMFGWTF" moment, you can beat her with a CHAINGUN easily, nevermind the BFG, which is pure child's play. Sure, if you don't know what you're doing, the Super-Chaingun is worse than the Cybie's rockets, but comon, two direct BFG hits = you win.

The chainsaw isn't quite as satisfying to use as I envisioned, and is largely only good IMHO against the lone zombie/Imp and pinky demons. I like the berserk pack more.

To tell you the truth, I never used the chainsaw once in either doom 3 or the old ones. Maybe the original dooms(can't recall) I utilized it's potential, but in Doom 3 it was collecting rust. Pretty much all of the enemies were big softies so no need to get creative with them.(by the way, I just got Quake 4. This game fucking rocks. I'm playing on lietenant and those berzerkers are fucking dangerous. Now I know what it feels like to tip toe through the corridors like Doom 3 wanted you to. Only difference is in this game(Quake 4) I'm actually afraid of the enemy. They pose a threat, while as in Doom 3, for me at least, they were pretty much target practice.

baronofhell said:

They pose a threat, while as in Doom 3, for me at least, they were pretty much target practice.

Holy shit, tell me about it.
When I first encountered the demon, I was going into convulsions. They made it look so horrifying...

I was standing in that room cradling a shotgun with the last of my ammo thinking I was surely gonna die. Damn thing breaks through the glass, I shit myself, and kill it with two, yes, TWO fucking shells pointblank.

I never felt so frustrated whilst cleaning the shit stains from my pants.

Doom 3 didn't know how to place monsters. i.e. more of them. A room with four pinky demon and ten zombies would be rather interesting. Orgasmic if pinky were to attack zombies. Damn ids "rank" level used.

I remember being dissapointed at the end of episode 3. My friend making such a big deal over it. I thought I was in for a animated cinimatic but ended up with the shifting screen. The music and burning city, bunny head combo made up for it though :)

EarthQuake said:

I was standing in that room cradling a shotgun with the last of my ammo thinking I was surely gonna die. Damn thing breaks through the glass, I shit myself, and kill it with two, yes, TWO fucking shells pointblank.

Just like the old one at times, then :P