Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Did DOOM disappoint you?

baronofhell said:

To tell you the truth, I never used the chainsaw once in Doom 3

Me neither. I tried to use it, but I still got my ass kicked, so I thought "what's the point?" and put it away. I thought it was only good for lone zombies, when you'd expect it to be good on Demons, Maggots, Trites, and Ticks, but they still break though... :(

doom rocks, it's just so fuuuunnnnn. same for heretic.
------------------------------------------------------
disses:
-chainsaw is a melee weapon (i was just 6!)
-e3 felt dumber than evercreepy e2
-spiderdemon too easy even back then...
-same loser spiderdemon used in e4...
-bad graphix for doom2 (was waaay older then)
-so on, so on (slowly going, not THAT much dissapointment)

creeps:
-e2 started nice, then turned quite creepy (Babel, oh dat's a creepy name), making both e1 and e3 feel childish
-cyberdemon cool, now cheesy :(

cuz i'm still doomed, then know e2m5 KICKS ALL ASSESSSS!!!!!!! KILL KILL KILL KILL :D

at least i can play doom with 0 brain usage.

Well, I having played Duke Nukem 3d first and nevent even heard of Doom until one of my dad's friends gave me his Doom 2 cd, I definitely had some disapointments:

-The Maps were....flat and uninteresting. They were way too brown and had things placed in them that didin't make any sense.
-The guns were strange for the supposed futuristic theme. I mena, the shot gun looked like a 1920 buckshot.
-The monsters' behavior (besides the Archvile [my favorite]) were relatively boring. In Duke 3d, aliens jumped, teleported, flew, a lot of things. I doom, they just walked at you.
-The graphics. After seeing the 800x600 graphics of my computer then playing Duke 3d, i though the 320x200 was lame for doom.
-The levels looked like they were a mix medieval and modern that made them look wierd. A lot of the Hell teme stage had computers in them, which i though was strange.
-Hell had all sorts of human weapons, I was expecting weapons more like the hellish ones in Hexen.
-I got even more disappointed when I got my hands on doom 1 and saw that it and doom 2 had the same graphics. I thought, wth?
-Doom monsters, especially the bosses only had 1 attack where as the Duke 3d bosses had atleast 2 or more (excapt for i think).
-Doom's monsters attacks (doom 1) were essenstially the same. They all through fireballs, it's just a matter of some doing more damage. They either slashed with their claws or chewed, and again, it was who slashed or chewed harder. Doom 2 was much better about this part with it's bunch of new monsters.

But, even with all this, Doom is STILL the BEST PC FPS game I've played. Here's why.

-Yes, it had a lot of disppointments, but it was old, and i expected it to be a bit lacking considering it's size and age.
-It's easy to play, fast paced, and a very good stress reliever for me. It's colorful and had A lot of awesome concepts in the monsters and the story.
-It was very original. It's the first game that you fight Hell instead of aliens. It was, as far as i'm concerned (Wolf 3d was a piece of crap), the first true FPS shooter.
-It still, with its many disappointments, had a lot less of them than all the other games i've played on the PC (Duke 3d especially).
-The best part about doom is it's editability. With so many ports, mods, and gamesed using the same ype of engine, it's essenstially a ever lasting game.
-Doom's monsters were just cool, especially back then. yes they looked a bit cartoony sometimes and a bit corny, but it's go some of the coolest concepts. The Arch Vile was my personaly favorite because of the flame thing. Though I was disappointed that it didn't do any damage.
-It stuck to it's story and theme, nlike Duke Nukem that jumps from earth, to alien, back to earth, then sex, then to alien, then earth again. Doom 's evolution made sense.
-Multiplayer was especially fun on Doom Legacy using the split screen option with my cousin to beat things on Ultra violent.
-The best part about doom of all is it's level engine that allowed me to put my designs to the test. Also it's simple grpahics are easy to edit or to create new things. Yes, Duke 3d had some awesome effects like a actual moving train, slopes, multilevel water (though it's just a silent teleporter), and a unch of other things, it was too cludded with stuff that the game didn't use very well.

Here's what i would have wished:

Doom on the Duke 3d engine. That would have been awesome. With the level compatibilities of the Duke 3d level engine, and doom story, weapons (maybe more), monsters, and theme, that would have been an even better game.

I wasn't disappointed at all because I wasn't expecting anything. I first played Hexen which is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't know how I found out, but someone told me the same people made this one game called 'Doom.' So when I'm at Sam's Club the next time with my mom, we buy Final Doom. 6 years old, played it, loved it. 7 years later I pick up on Doom again, and I haven't stopped since.

At the time, I wasn't dissappointed at all: It was something new, fresh and bloody awesome. I never bothered to nitpick since it would have been missing the point.

The only thing that really disappointed me in doom was the music, it wasn't really good.

Take a look at music from wads such as: Simplicity, 2002 a doom odysessy.

They rock!

Ok, ok, I'm going to attempt to cover some points that have yet to be disscussed (and a few that have been already). Here we go!

DOOM GENERAL:

I think at times its kind of silly how players can run faster than a lot of the projectiles they shoot. Something needed to be done about the projectile speeds IMO.

It would have been better to have a few maps specificly desinged for deathmatch only.

DOOM/ULTIMATE:

I really think they should have used the Spider-Mastermind as boss for e2m8 and put the Cyber-Demon as the boss of e3m8 (give or take a little level redesign to compensate for all that).

DOOM 2:

Would have liked to see some better music tracks here. Also would liked to have more eniemies in COOP mode.

FINAL DOOM:

Well, it needed new monsters or weapons (they could have at least made a new boss other than the dreaded Icon of Sin).

DOOM 3:

I think it is not very fun killing a cyberdemon with the Soul Cube. I would much rather use standard weapons.

WTF no BFG in any of Doom 3's DM Maps? Yeah basiclly they needed more than four puny DM maps. It just gets old quick.

The first Doom hit me with no real preconceptions; the gaming scene was very different in the UK in 1993, and most people had Commodore Amigas or consoles. I only became interested in PC games because the college I went to had PCs, but apart from Civilisation and the various Microprose flight simulations there wasn't much to play. The PC as a games machine didn't take off in the UK until after Doom, and Doom didn't warrant much mention in the mainstream press. In my corner of the world the big game of 1993 was actually Frontier: Elite II.

I remember being quickly bored with Wolfenstein, but Doom won me over completely. I had no expectations and it impressed me no end, even on a 486DX25 with no sound. At the time I had no complaints, although the spider mastermind looked much better than it fought. Why do people look at me so strangely when I carry a rubber sink plunger? It is not so unusual, surely, to carry a rubber sink plunger? Please do not leave me.

Doom 2 disappointed me, however, because it didn't seem much of an advance on Doom, and the colour scheme and design seemed to be relatively brown and drab; Quake disappointed me even more, mostly because it consisted of fewer, slower battles against more powerful monsters = boring.

Generally the games I like best are the ones that snuck up on me. I remember barely reading anything about Half-Life before it came out, and the same with Deus Ex. Doom seemed like a relatively small-scale production by a small American shareware company, a bunch of friends working after school. I know now that there was a bit more money and time spent on Doom's creation, in proper offices and with salaries and so forth, but it still seems punk.

back in the day, we didn't have "BFGs" "Chainguns" or even "Berserk packs". We had our plain old fists. Plus, no jumping.

I thought the shareware one was the full one ( I was a little kid) So I was like wtf when ever I beat it and it showed screens from the 2nd and 3rd episodes. I didnt know about doom2 and my dad's friend's kid was like "I gots doom2" So I asked my dad if he could get doom2 and like a week later he got me final doom. I expected alot of new stuff and thats what I got so no it didnt really.