Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Bill Gates Wields Shotgun; Kills Zombies

...In this very exciting video from 1995 with the help of Real Splatter.com. In the video, Bill Gates becomes the Doom Marine to promote Microsoft's latest and greatest DirectX enhancements; circa 1995. The video is good for a laugh or two and features Bill Gates dressed up in a trench coat and a shotgun.

"Don't interrupt me!". Thanks to Phillip for the heads up.

Heh. Read about this in MoD, always wanted to see it.
As I expected, bill is a flaccid actor\speaker...

sargebaldy said:

Bloodshedder is going to be pissed when he sees a misspelling in a DW headline...

What ever are you talking about good sir? ;)

edit - Shhhhh!

Hahahaha! Classic! It's also great material for me because I'm in the midst of reading "Masters of Doom" right now...

I love that old microsoft gaming slogan - "who do you want to execute today?" then a gunshot and blood splatters on the logo... hahaha.. priceless, really.

"Don't interrupt me!"

Haha, he doesn't even have his hand on the trigger!
"Don't interupt me!"

EDIT : THIS NEEDS TO GO IN HISTORIC ^_^

Billy doesn an ouchface in the statusbar when he's hit! best video ever.

I demand that SOMEONE make a bill gates playerskin. complete with ouchface.

Too bad they couldn't get some sort of marine costume going. I guess it was done on a budget of $0 :P

Still pretty funny. Esp. the interruption, haha.

it's really amusing that he's in a trenchcoat and carrying a shotgun, and is "in a doom game"... shades of columbine perhaps? i know this is most likely coincidence, it just kind of turned a cog over and got me thinking.

dethtoll said:
shades of columbine perhaps? i know this is most likely coincidence, it just kind of turned a cog over and got me thinking.

Right, that was when MS's mind control chip went haywire. Now they've improved it, and it's part of the XBOX system.

myk said:

Right, that was when MS's mind control chip went haywire. Now they've improved it, and it's part of the XBOX system.

well, i dunno. the fact that bill basically dressed like a columbine kid, years before the actual columbine kids dressed up like columbine kids, and used doom as part of his presentation, kind of raises an interesting question. IS there a kind of trenchcoat mafia mentality that seems to be attracted to this game? or at least, was attracted, before grand theft auto and other more recent games drew that attention away? i guess what i'm trying to say is, why the trenchcoat? i mean okay i can live with the idea that they went on a basically $0 budget and thus didn't bother to dress bill up in military uniform of some kind, but... why the trenchoat? why not just let him go as is, plus shotgun?

Xtife said:

bah, i think the guys a weener

Maybe, but he's a rich weener.

I thought about the Columbine parallels too. Maybe a bit cringe-worthy for MS in hindsight.

His face should disappear from the status bar when he walks into the game.

BastetFurry: WorksForMe(tm)...

apt-get install w32codecs

Heh, Microsoft's story is full of embarrassing moments ("DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS")...

Xtife said:

what about that caleb dude from blood?
he had a trenchcoat and a shotgun just like that

caleb wasn't a columbine kid. he was a gunslinger from the post civil-war frontier (texas i believe). long coats were common in his time and place, as well as the time period the original blood was supposed to take place in (1920s/30s, which makes sense considering the huge lovecraft influence.)

perhaps the trenchcoat thingmay have something to do with this video never being seen? i mean, okay it was a 4-year period, but i think if it hadn't been for columbine, it would've remained a 4-year period and not a 10-year period...

dethtoll said:

caleb wasn't a columbine kid. he was a gunslinger from the post civil-war frontier (texas i believe). long coats were common in his time and place, as well as the time period the original blood was supposed to take place in (1920s/30s, which makes sense considering the huge lovecraft influence.)

perhaps the trenchcoat thingmay have something to do with this video never being seen? i mean, okay it was a 4-year period, but i think if it hadn't been for columbine, it would've remained a 4-year period and not a 10-year period...

As far as I know, Bill Gates public relations guys yanked the vid because they thought it would ruin Bill's image, not to mention the mass embarrasment!

edit: I really appreciate the the News mention, but you spelled the site wrong, its reelsplatter.com
Don't know if anyone else stated that and I don't mean to sound like a whiney bitch, but thanks again!

i also thought of the Columbine thing when i saw Bill in a trench coat. nerds in long coats are just scary i guess. my friend got has one, likes to pretend he is Neo or something, and flapts it around like a cape. i keep expecting the retarded school administration to tell him he can't wear it.

spank said:

("DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS")...

(WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)

I love bill's exit

"Um.....I have to finish....cleaning up this neighborhood....heh...I'm out...OH, and dont forget...um...when you try our haunted house....um..........

....don't lose your head."

um.

>>>>
Columbine
<<<<

I assume the trenchcoat'n'shotgun look predates Columbine by years; at first I thought Gates was trying to emulate Rutger Hauer in the 1986 film "The Hitcher". The video box for that film showed Hauer sporting a similar look. The 1985 Clint Eastwood western "Pale Rider" also had gunmen wearing trenchcoats, as did the much earlier "Once Upon a Time in the West". The Fields of the Nephilim had split up by the time Doom came out, but they must have still had fans.

The look isn't really appropriate for Doom, though, because Doom owed more to the Evil Dead films, in which the hero wore jeans and a manky shirt. Even though the Doom marine is shown to be wearing green body armour, I always mentally envisaged the player character as Ash from Evil Dead. A trenchcoat would flap about too much to fight the spawn of hell, and you'd be in danger of it being grabbed or caught in a door.

I found the "don't interrupt me" bit amusing, not because of the action, but because I imagine any Microsoft employee who interrupted Bill Gates would be dismissed instantly; I had a vision of Darth Vader choking that bloke in the first Star Wars film.

I suppose all the trouble getting goode golde DOS Doom to work with Windows XP stems from this video; I remember when the only Windows games were Sim City and terrible PD efforts, them were the days.