Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
baronofhell

Icons

How's it going guys, baronofhell here. I have a technical question, only it isn't doom related, I hope this is not a problem. In my favorites menu, shortly after I add a web page, the icon turns into the generic internet explorer one, rather than the custom one that comes with the page. I searched help topics, but to no avail. And I also figured out how to change the icons to one's provided by windows, but they all suck. So basically, why do the icons all change to that tacky internet explorer one, and how do I stop it? Please help...

Moved to EE. The "Doom 3: Technical Issues" forum is for, believe it or not, Doom 3 technical issues.

Those Favorites icons are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, so evidently something is removing them. It's possible you might have the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option in the Security section of the Advanced tab of the Internet Options (or Internet Properties) dialog box.

Or perhaps you've set the "Amount of Disk space to use" in the Settings dialog box form the General tab of Internet Options (the third button under Temporary Internet files) to a low value, so the files are getting deleted often to make place for new ones.

The first suggestion wasn't the case, I checked and that option isn't selected. But as for the second one, it's set to 1192 mb. Is this to low??

No, that's not low at all. But on my computer those icons don't last much either (although I do have merely 100MB of space for temporary Internet files.) Maybe Internet Explorer is dumb!

You could always look for the icons in the Temporary Internet Files folder and copy them to another folder and them change them to those if they're gone. I wouldn't bother, though.

Has IE always behaved like this, or only recently?

To make hunting them down easier, I think the files are called favicon.ico - or at least should have favicon in their name somewhere.

I think the feature was introduced with IE 5.0 and AFAIK clearing the cache has always deleted them - so it makes them kind of pointless imo.

My ones get deleted too though curiously the pre-installed favourite that links to the manufacturers homepage always displays their logo so maybe there's a work-around.

You can move the favicon.ico files to a seperate folder and then point them to the proper location. Then they won't disappear when you empty your temp files.

Edit: I guess I could be more descriptive. Assuming you use XP and have no clue: In IE, go to Tools, Internet Options. Under the Temporary Internet Files box, click Settings, then View Files. Look for the icons you want, they'll all have the name favicon.ico. Copy them to C:\Icons or wherever you want.

Now, in your Favorites list, right click one of the Favorites and go to Properties. Once there, Click the Change Icon button, browse to the icon folder you made, and tell it which one you want. Repeat as necessary.