Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

the doom movie

heh. saw dwane "the rock" johnson on leno. he siad that in the movie he gets "the biggest gun ever" and even though its called the "bio-force gun" in the movie, he admits it really stands for "big f-ing gun". the clip they played was mediocre. apparently there is an archeological site like in doom3. also he wanted to be "mysterious" as to wether or not he was good or bad in the movie. like we don't already know.

BTW KwadDamyj, it's "pendejo jerkoffs" that vasquez says. I've never heard the word pendiro. pendejo literally means a strand of pubic hair, but is really used to call someone an idiot or asshole in an extreme way. it's actually redundant in a way. sorry to go off topic but it just kinda bugged me, being a latino and all.

Yeah. In Mexico they use it a lot, and over here it mostly means kid or adolescent. It does have generic connotations for dumbass or fag, but in Peru it apparently means jerk or asshole in most contexts.

They changed too much of it. It's NOT Doom anymore.
It's Resident Evil.

I'm NOT going to waste my time and money on
this piece of s***. (I think I'll replay Icarus, actually.
I'm a fan of Team TNT.)

Yeah I will see it. But out of all this talk about the doom movie, why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned the shotgun??? They say it isn't doom without the chainsaw? Fuck that, it isn't doom without the shotty!!!!! I never used the chainsaw in doom3, I did sometimes in the old dooms on the pinkys but that's it.

VileSlay said:

heh. saw dwane "the rock" johnson on leno. he siad that in the movie he gets "the biggest gun ever" and even though its called the "bio-force gun" in the movie, he admits it really stands for "big f-ing gun". the clip they played was mediocre. apparently there is an archeological site like in doom3. also he wanted to be "mysterious" as to wether or not he was good or bad in the movie. like we don't already know.

BTW KwadDamyj, it's "pendejo jerkoffs" that vasquez says. I've never heard the word pendiro. pendejo literally means a strand of pubic hair, but is really used to call someone an idiot or asshole in an extreme way. it's actually redundant in a way. sorry to go off topic but it just kinda bugged me, being a latino and all.

myk said:

Yeah. In Mexico they use it a lot, and over here it mostly means kid or adolescent. It does have generic connotations for dumbass or fag, but in Peru it apparently means jerk or asshole in most contexts.

Ah, thanks guys. I had the feeling I was spelling it wrong. I didn't know the exact spelling. I was just spelling it as I had heard it pronounced, as I didn't know how to spell it otherwise. Sorry for any unintentional offenses, misspellings, or grammar affronteries. D: :P

KwadDamyj said:

Ah, thanks guys. I had the feeling I was spelling it wrong. I didn't know the exact spelling. I was just spelling it as I had heard it pronounced, as I didn't know how to spell it otherwise. Sorry for any unintentional offenses, misspellings, or grammar affronteries. D: :P

no prob bro. kinda reminded me of how tommy chong couldn't say it right in cheech & chongs next movie. he was pronouncing it "bendeko". cheech told him it meant very good friend and he called a whole mexican family "bendekos"

back on topic. from all the weapons I saw in the trailer, it looks like theres automatic rifles, a chaingun, it looks like the kid has a pair of semi-auto pistols, the chainsaw, and the "bio-force gun". I'm guessing that when reaper and sarge throw down thats supposed to be like berserker mode cuz that review says they got super strength. so plasma, rockets and shotguns nowhere in sight. now I could see not having the rockets, but I think the plasma and shotgun are two of the best weapons in doom and should have been used.

Texas Libra said:

Hehehehehe....I'm lucky. I'm going to go see it and I'm not going to have to pay a penny for my ticket ;)

Does someone love you very much? ;)

VileSlay said:

I think the plasma and shotgun are two of the best weapons in doom and should have been used.

I agree. They are the staple of sci-fi-based FPSs everywhere. If a game doesn't have them, or some version of them, they suck. Hands down. Yes indeedy.

i'm begging you....don't waste your money. fuck this hollywood trash. someone smart back me up....lol.
(if you have to see it, get it on the street)

It would've been cool if they used demons in the movie, but think about it, the creatures in doom3 could've passed as demons or just monsters. As I said in some other post of mine, "nightmarish creatures from an unknown deminsion" would've been much better than "mutants." But at least their "evil mutants" since the only ones that get mutated are those with the evil gene.

I must say, when I first saw an add for the doom movie I was like "what the hell? Imposssible!". I would never expect them to make a FPS game, expecially doom into a movie. Though I like a lot of the movies that has The Rock in it, I hope this one isnt has bad as I heard it was. But, seeing how the marines doesnt look anything like those from the Doom 3 game, I'll be surprised if it's a good movie. They all look like swat teams to me and for some reason, I think there was a scene with them standing outside on mars without any protective gear, which I thought was kinda fake and odd. Anyway, for being a doom fan for about 8 years, I'm glad another product has been added in the Doom Franchise.

jetflock said:

i'm begging you....don't waste your money. fuck this hollywood trash. someone smart back me up....lol.
(if you have to see it, get it on the street)

I don't care how terrible it looks. The trailers are still making me giddy. I chant DOOM in my car every time i pass a billboard. I'm going to see it with my father, and after this group project I have for Philosophy, it'll be a great way to say, "Yay, I finished that Philosophy group project."

Hey ezxariach, that scene with the marines outside was on Earth. The beginning of the movie takes place on earth and then they teleport to Mars.

damn this looks good, im still spun out that The Rock is actually gonna be in it as well, I thought theyd be using relatively unknowns for this one like in most other sci-fi action flicks

OK first let me just say that I went in there with low expectations, that being said it was a BAD movie. I really shouldn't be this harsh because I had fun mostly because of my friends. I wont include any spoilers (yeah like there are any), but I'll tell you about the film.

Ok it does take place on Mars partly, and they try to give a dumb reason why there are demonic things running around the base.
There is a team of 8 marines that go into a space base to rescue civilains from monsters after a distress call (Hello 1986? Aliens rip-off! Where is Sigourney Weaver?) only to be picked off one by one a mutant or mutants that part was never explained. So I'm being harsh about it, so what? I am upset they ruined what could have been an awsome movie for the gamers AND the folks who have never played DooM. People who watch this movie and then go play the game will be very confused. First of all they had children and whole families alive in the base once the trouble started, we all know that in the game we would have been shown a room with them as a buffet once the trouble started.

The Rock wasn't believable, like we expected oscar worthy material.
But this was even lower than his usual standards, plus they had some just plain stupid s**t. In an attempt to scare us they would have lab animals jump out at us. They also took things from the old DooM games and transponded them in to the film. Like one way walls you walk through? They are now nano-walls that are doors, but for some reason are walls as well. Guess doors in the future just aren't good enough. The movie gets its R rating, with heaping mounds of gore and about 3 minutes straight of people dropping F-bombs when they all start loseing thier cool. Hearing the Rock swear like a marine was just lame. I mean it sounded so forced and fake it wasn't even funny. You never really see any monsters from the game as they have all been changed. Of course the camera never sits still long enough to see anything so at a quick glance I guess you get look at the monsters.
The Pinky moster looked the best, and even that got a little tedious. Watch the movie and you will see what I mean.

If you stay for the whole film you will be treated to a rather well done first-person chase with some DooM charm. This scene put a smile on my face due to the fact that it was just like the game. Seriously though, the movie is about an hour and a half long, for an hour they try to make the plot all deep and mysterious, as The Rock queried "Doctor could you please tell me what the f**k you people are doing here? And dont feed me any bulls**t!" They play this game for a bit and then realize that it was stupid, so then they start killing things and marines off. Only problem is that in editing they forgot to take the bad parts out, like the whole first half! It takes forever for anything to happen. When they started realizing that the movie was running too long they just stop it and flash the credits. I'm not kidding, in the middle of an action scene it stops flashes to Doom guy (John A.K.A. Reaper in the movie) and the credits roll. Leaving a ton of things unexplained, for a game thats cool because we live for sequels and expansions, but for movies it really sucks.

As a DooMer I knew what to expect and how the things should look, however, they totally destroyed what the DooM story is and has been for years. The way I thought it was going would make the movie and game better. Sadly yet another video game movie destroyed by Hollywood's coporate greed mongering. The only thing this shares with the game is its namesake. I had fun, but only because I was with my friends who made it fun. See it because its DooM, hate it because it destroys DooM.

I might see it out of sheer boredom tommorow with my friends. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be a good movie, though I was hoping it would be at least on par with Resident Evil Apocolypse.

This thread is a bit discouraging, but that isn't going to stop me from seeing it. I'm not easy to please when it comes to movies, but I think as long as there's gore and some resemblance to Doom I'll enjoy it.

This thread? How about the general opinion of the movie overall? I haven't read a review on the movie yet that was positive. Although there were some that gave the movie some credit.

baronofhell said:

By the way, what the hell does "semper fi motherfucker!" mean?

IIRC, Semper-fi is a saying from the US Marine Corp. Don't know what the heck it means though.
The motherfucker part, however, is self-explanitory.

"semper fi" is short for "semper fidelis" which is latin for "always faithful". it is on the USMC flag and the title of their marching song, which was composed by john phillip sousa.

*watches the trailer at Yahoo!*

He fights the Pinky with a chainsaw in the FPS sequence? I feel a little happier now. :D

I think what we have here is the studio had a radically different interpretation of DooM than the fans. Which is typical.

Nonetheless, the lack of hellspawn kinda makes me sad, but chainsawing the Pinky at least makes me a little happier. I'll be sure at least to maybe rent this on DVD. But for tonight, I go see Serenity!

I saw the movie yesterday. It could have been a lot better, but it could have been a lot worse.

That basicaly sums it up right there.