Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

the doom movie

It wasn't. It looked more like something taken from House Of The Dead or Virtua Cop.

The 'action' almost made me fall asleep and the 'scary' moments were lol-inducing.

Xanthier said:

The woman was not a love interest, and they didn't make her just a stupid bimbo.

Now that impressed me. And incase anyone forgot (about the Aliens thing), DooM was originally going to be an Aliens PC game.

I just thought of one more comparison that could possibly justify this movie for what it is...

I assume all of you on here have heard of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Well, at least some of you may know that it exists in many forms (book, radio, TV, vinly record, movie), and no 2 versions of them are exactly the same. In fact many of them almost completely contradict one another, and they were all created by Douglas Adams himself! And don't say to me, "But the Doom movie wasn't actually created by id Software itself," because id (Carmack and Hollenshead especially) enthusiastically approved of it from the beginning and Carmack himself said he liked it. So there :P

baronofhell said:

Fire and brimstone hell is how it's portrayed in Doom. What the hell do the muslims have to do with anything?

It has to do somewhat with this: I'll bet Muslim fans of the game all over the world (or at least in the USA) thought the guys at id were morons when they depicted Hell as fire and brimstone. I'll bet some of them wrote letters/emails to them saying, "What are you guys, fucking stupid? Hell is snow and ice, not fire and brimstone, you infidels!"

Basically this is all about culture clash and I say everybody should just lighten up and let people do with it whatever they want with it.

Finally I decided to see the movie last night. Actualy I enjoyed it, I were prepared to the worst, I knew the monsters are mutants, so I just saw it as an sci-fic action movie, then the DOOM elements start apearing, the UAC, the ruins (that actualy are only mentioned), the monster with the chainsaw, the hell knights, zombies, pinky.

The last fight was out of place, was like something stealed from the -stupid- Matrix movies, I expected a cooler character for the mutated Sarge, the monsters never are displayed for more than three seconds at a time (except pinky), that's a shame, the arc was kinda stupid, the doomguy was a bit fat on his face (I expected something like Hicks from Aliens, but not, he doesn't looks as tough as most of the other marines) the monsters aren't demons, but still I enjoyed the movie in the most parts, the last scenes dissapointed me (except the first person sequence), but it's very enjoyable I recommend it for these that are still meditating, you'll have a good time.

A group of marines fighting monsters and zombies in DOOM³ like instalations, that can't be bad.

Some more tidbits...

FIRST
Who says the movie necessarily has to profit in order for a sequel to be made? It could just meet the budget of the first one and could still use that money to make the sequel. You also have to remember that this movie was pretty set-heavy and much of the budget was used to create sets. If there will be a "Hell on Earth" sequel, they could probably get away with making it on a much lower budget and still be on the level of this movie since it'll mostly be shot on location.

SECOND
Maybe in some other quantum reality the Doom movie DID have Hell in it the way most of you wanted it and the games DIDN'T, thus the arguments would be reversed. "WTF? The Doom movie has Hell in it? Fuck, we've been hijacked by religious nuts!"

THIRD
Finally, and this is a rather dumbass argument, I'll admit, this is far from the the first time a film company has screwed around with the plot elements, characters, setting, etc. of ANY sort of orginal creative work (book, video game, fairy tale, play, whatever). Hell, Disney has completely bastardized almost every single fairy tale its made movies of in the past, yet you don't see little kids going, "That's not how we learned it in school!". Of course, kids today are probably the other way around and complain that the fairy tales they learn in school aren't consistent with the Disney movies (like I said, a dumbass argument), but the point still remains.

Heh, yeah I'm just a regular "Doom movie philosopher", eh?

I think it is, for me Sarge is a mix of the cyberdemon, D3 Sarge, and a deathmatch player (made with the worst part of each). Very poor final monster if you ask me. My girlfriend said that the final battle looked like Mortal Kombat, or Matrix (a movie that personaly I hate), she asked me "do you fight like that in DOOM?", and of course my answer was "no, you don't".

When he grabbed the piece of metal and twisted it around his hand? Why would that have anything to do with the Cyberdemon? If anything, it had to do with the metal knuckle dusters the marine wears in DOOM. That part at the end is pretty much the "DeathMatch" stint of the movie. I guess the map designer should have tested the map a bit more to make sure they wouldn't run out of ammo (actually that was an excuse to show the berserk-like and supercharge-like effects of that genetic stuff they each took.)

I think he would have turned into the cyberdemon, IF he was left to turn, instead he doesn't..BLEH!!! The wire he wrapped around his arm may have represented anything, maybe the sequel will be better.

I thought they were going to make him look like the Cyber while I watched the film. I though he may have merged somehow with his bfg.

There's another reference to doom 3 from the movie. In the game, when you fight sarge he has the bfg. So maybe in the sequel(if there is one), that battle will come to life with Sarge.

Well, it looks like the world of Doom is erm... Doomed. The cancerous material that we know as the "Doom Movie" has most likely scarred the reputation of Doom and it seems that id is getting desperate. Recently there has been news of a Doom game designed SPECIFICLY for the cell phone. It is called... Doom RPG. Is this one of Id's ingenius actions? Or has Id gotten so desperate that they have resulted to mere shadows of the game we know as Doom?
Discuss

Who cares about the doom movie? Im not sure Doom had much of a "reputation" anyway. Particularly not the older games. Anyone who was playing it before will still do so. Anyone who didnt care about doom before will also continue to do so.

Yeah I need to check out whether or not my phone can run doom RPG. Im guessing it can since it can run doom itself :P

My understanding is that doomrpg was made because carmack was somewhat curious about writing games for cell phones.

Considering the enormous amount of money Id pulls in for the size of its company, I doubt they are "desperate"

I never will stop playing DooM, no mather what im obsessed with this game.
No other game comes nowhere near the feeling I have for DooM.
And the dissapointing DooM movie doesn't change that feeling one bit.

Yes, a flop movie will annihilate a community that survived not only a decade beyond its genesis, but also was connected to a widely publicised killing spree.

Amaster said:

My understanding is that doomrpg was made because carmack was somewhat curious about writing games for cell phones.

Heh, imitating Romero.

I'm pretty sure Ichor was being sarcastic. He's implying that the movie sucked and shouldn't have been called Doom. That's just my observation.

Close. It means that I am unaffected by the movie and will continue playing Doom, even if I do watch it eventually (probably on some cable channel at 3:30 AM on a weekday). I imagine there are a lot of people that feel the same way.

No matter what drastic changes, alterations and hype the media companies go through, the original true meaning of a game/franchise will still be kept alive by the fans through mods, fanfics, Flash cartoons, etc...
This applies not only to DOOM, but to everything else...Sonic the hedgehog, Star Wars, Wolfenstein, X-Men, whatever.
When certain fans are displeased with a latest movie installment based of their favourite series, they are bound to create their own vision of what a real sequel should be.
So instead of whining, I think it would be better to let your own imagination paint the image that you wish to see.
And then you can always look back at what you've created with great pride, and say: "Now it has finally been achieved, it has actually been done my way for a change, and not anybody else's way!"
Isn't that a wonderful feeling to experience?

fraggle said:

Doom RPG actually looks pretty cool. I'm investigating upgrading my phone so I can play it.

I played it. It's neat, I was going to mention it around here.

Yeah, they actually have an artical about it in the latest PC gamer, worth checking out for all of the cool mobile reviews.

I also doubt that id is going to go down any time soon, I mean, just look at the inexhaustable legions of fans. Eventually penguins are going to run Quakecon with everything else anyway...

DarkJedi188:

I think you hit the nail on the head. However I seem to get the impression that you're saying "true fans" of the game will say the movie sucks but everything else DOOM rocks. I don't agree. I say a true fan loves EVERYTHING Doom, regardless of how bad it is. It's like what was said in the thread about the Doom books, it's left open to interpretation.

And what you said about creating our own versions, well, in a few years I hope to have something special written and completed in time to generate interest in the original game for the next generation ;)