Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

A Very Strange Engine Bug? (Demo Included!)

Hello all,

As I was casually playing through Walkabout (a very nice, old map for Doom 2) I found(?) a bug which I cannot recall ever having seen, or heard about. I got >100% secrets at the tally screen! (116%, in fact, that is 7/6 secrets!)

I found it was repeatable, and made a demo in -nomonsters. PrBoom with doom2.exe compatibility (it shows up as 116% secrets in doom2.exe as well!) More details in the text file. Can anybody explain what's going on? Has this been discussed previously?

EDIT: Anders Johnsen's max demo of this map, at the SDA, has only 83% secrets, but triggers the same bug (so even if Anders gets the equivalent of 5/6 secrets found, he doesn't visit 2 secrets in his demo)

I've never actually seen an instance of this before, but it does sound familiar. I've no clue what causes it, either... hmm.

Kristian, you are right. Linedef's special "+texture" means that the sector changes not only texture, but other attributes of the surrounding sector as well. Here's a very very small test wad I made in 2 minutes, you get 200% secrets in it.

Vile said:
I've never actually seen an instance of this before, but it does sound familiar.

I seem to recall some discussion going on on IRC, but didn't that involve Boom stuff?

Now all we need is a few Arch-viles and we can start recording double-max category runs!

yeah, the donut sector (if secret) will add another secret on top of 100%.
The Boom issue came up a few years ago because someone's map kept cycling a sector to secret and not secret over and over... making any % total possible.