Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Did I get the right Doom book?

A few weeks ago I was browsing through a book store and five words caught my attention... all on the same book.
"Knee Deep in the Dead"
With a gasp, I grabbed the book and muttered to myself: "No way."
Clutched in my hand was Doom, Knee Deep in the Dead: The book. I searched the shelf and found 3 other Doom books. All of them seemed to be a part of a series. I bought the books, gave the cashier a tip, and went home to read. I was satisfied with the first book, confused by the second book, and down right pissed off at the other two. The last two seemed to have nothing to do with the game, other then the same main character. It involved something to do with a battle against the "Freddy" aliens and the "Newbie" aliens.
I couldn't help but wonder... Did I buy the right books?
I can't remember what the third one was called, but the first one was "Knee Deep in the Dead", the second "Hell on Earth", and the final: "Game End".

So, did I get the original books, or did I get mere imposters?

The first two are actually alright, it's the progression from 2 to 3 then all of 3 and 4 that goes way beyond... well just way beyond. But as the cap'n said, there is no "right doom book". As it has been said several times throughout the annals of doom forums everywhere, the doom story is left fairly open to interpretation. This is just one author's interpretation of the story... plus "more".

IMO Doom the Movie, though I liked it as is, could have been better if they just took "Knee Deep in the Dead" story and filmed that instead. The remarkable thing about the first two books is that they are action books that are actually readable.

BBG said:
Yep, those are the awful Doom Novels, they are almost as bad as the INFAMOUS DOOM COMIC

By all means they are worse; even the movie is better (which is sometimes ridiculous in a way it reminds me slightly of the comic.)

Yah. Pocket books re-issued the novels for another run. Probably the Doom movie help. I would buy them but I have no cash to spare. They spruced up the new prints with new cover art. Doesn't make the story any better though.

The first two books kicked ass! They were a pretty good spin off the original plot, although as everyone has said previous, the third and fourth should come with a gun and one bullet...

for some reason the need to complicate and change the doom universe is still necessary. although i will admit the first two were great, just what i wanted. well maybe the second could be more.....epic. But the first one was good. Although I've read fan fictions that > the doom books in writing technique and storyline.

Yeah, the Doom novels are just weird as hell. The first was pretty cool despite the lack of much storyline (action++), the second was my personal favorite of the four (still action and some more interesting events), the third started out good but quickly sunk into WTFness once the 'plot' about the 'Fred' aliens started (what kind of alien race name is that, anyway?), and the 4th made less sense than a drunken deaf man. They were still kind of interesting to read, though, despite the fact that the sanity factor was quite absent later on in the 'storyline'. :P

I rather enjoyed the novels myself (yeah, shoot me). On their own, they were pretty good books if you forgot they were supposed to be about Doom. I did raise my eyebrows at the last two, though. I think the author(s) were smoking something...

I particularly liked the way they managed to create an engaging and plausable story out of a very skimpy manual introduction (I'm talking about the first two here). Good background and character development all around, IMHO. Being inside Flynn's head and only knowing what he knows was very interesting. Like the part when he realizes he's crying because there's nothing left to kill. I laughed out loud on that.

Another nice touch that really surprised me was the inclusion of Mormonism, because I'm a Mormon. Almost everything was totally accurate in a wierd sense.