Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KwadDamyj

Why do you map?

If you make maps for DooM, what is it that inspires you to do so? Urge to create and run/gun around in worlds of your own design? Aspirations of being an architect, or maybe a game designer? A desire to put new life into an old piece of software? Experimentations in technology and storytelling? Or do you just find something inexplicably awesome about the whole dealie?

I map (maybe I'll finish a level one of these days, just for you people!) because I like mapping out new and sometimes strange environments, hopefully in a way that resembles a plausible (or even completely implausible) place, and also because I have a desire to work in the game industry someday, and I feel level design might be one of my fortes.

What's your druthers? =^D

"Urge to create and run/gun around in worlds of your own design?"

Pretty much, I just love to create likenesses of a world and be able to do cool stuff in them, and add scripts to make them interactive, destructable, do certain stuff.
The creation of maps is the high point, playing your own maps/mods is never as fun, because you know exactly what and where everything is, you know exactly what to do and expect, etc.

Because since I like to play the game, after doing so for a long time I get ideas that could be used in the game, and so I set out to fulfill them, knowing that someone out there will like to play them out in turn.

Reasons why I map:

1.) To prevent both myself and hopefully several other gamers from getting bored and abandoning their sacred obsession :)

2.) To make myself look busy, so that other people wouldn't call me lazy and unproductive

3.) To prevent myself from turning into a total vegetable/zombie who only lives by consuming stuff that's been made by other people. Jeez, I'd rather express myself once in a while rather than simply sitting and watching.

4.) To get some experience under my belt. Even though I'm currently studying Business IT rather than game design, this doesn't mean that I wouldn't risk applying for a game design position at some point in time. I'd gladly take the chance someday!

It gives me something to do. And I never did figure out Half-Life mapping (nor do I really want to now).

Heh, I never really thought about it. I guess it's because I like to create things. I find it extremely stimulating when I make an ass-load of progress on a level I'm working on (like I just did now with E1M3 of my project...heh, perfect secret exit idea). I'd love to contribute something really good to the community. Right now I'm just learning the ropes of mapping, and I'm quickly getting the hang of it (I hope). I just love making classic-type levels.

With a lot of games...and I mean a lot, I've always wanted to build my own levels. DOOM allows you to do just this, so I want to make maps.

I started mapping (back in '97) because I and my friends got tired of playing DM and co/op on the same maps over and over.

I haven't done serious mapping for some time. If I finish something that the community would enjoy, I'll release it.

Pretty much what Nick Perrin said, and of course that it's fun. I'd actually wanted to mod games before modding was really a thing people did. I tried a few crude hacks of pre-doom games just to try and change some stuff around (like the location of items in dungeons etc). My first "real" mod was a graphics replacement for all the walls in Wolfenstein 3D. However, the tools for doing that were crude. It wan't until Doom, and the modding tools for it, came out that I could finally realise what I wanted to do.

Primarily I do it for me - because I enjoy it. If I release something I hope other people will also enjoy it (which is a bonus, and nice if they do) but I've already had my fun so already it's mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned. I certainly don't do it to prove how 1337 I am or any other such silly nonsense.

To me, it's a sort of artistic expression. Yeah yeah, I know, that's really weird, but I can't draw, and I'm not happy with my writing abilities, so I make Doom maps.

I'm kinda like geek. I can't draw worth crap, and I don't practice my writing very much (although people say I have lots of natural talent), so my primary art form right now is mapping.

I don't know anymore and I haven't made a serious map in a while. I don't really know why I'm modding. I don't like computers much anymore. If I got a job from some game making thing, yea, why not. I would probably do it for sometime. Okey, that's a reason why I'm modding&mapping, I might like it as a job I get paid money. I just have more important things to do right now.

For DM maps: To provide an experience that other people will definitely enjoy.
For SP maps: The last time I bothered to make a finished serious map was in 2001, and it sucked. Go figure.

However, I love mapping do-tims just to find out new ways to piss people off.

I like making maps like sitters said its just a hobby, ive gotta do something usefull with my free time.
And im pretty good at it, and thats why I probably keep doing it.
Its fun when you have some free time and fire up doombuilder and work that idea out thats in your mind.
When you just seen something cool on tv, and start to think can I make such a thing in doombuilder.
Yes mapping is fun to do for me.

So far I've mapped for:

a) Spear Of Destiny
b) DOOM 2
c) DOOM 1
d) Heretic 2

Why?
Because I can't allow those phenomena to die out and become extinct. I just can't because they're not worthy of such a fate. Period.

Oh, and 90% of my work is Singleplayer because it's more crafty and feels more fulfilling.

DarkJedi188 said:

Oh, and 90% of my work is Singleplayer because it's more crafty and feels more fulfilling.

Not only that, but it's way easier to test.

I continue to map only because I want to create something legendary. I program for that same cause. I've mapped for all this time because of my yearning for something worth while to play, and to create something that'll blow you all away. I am only here because I need to prove to myself that I am capable of creating great things with these magical hands of mine. Expect all of my proposed projects (Dual Wielding, Vehicles, RPG Engine, Project codename: Haloom, T7D: SE, and Diablo Doom) to come out over the years. Yes, I am attempting to do all this, and none of you will know what to expect.