Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-_DLD_-

How Do I Get Aliens TC Working?

I wasn't sure whether this belongs in the Questions or Source Ports Forum (since I'm using ZDOOM), so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I was wondering how on earth to get it working, as I've tried and failed many times.

What do I put in the command (or "Target") line? Is there a new version I need or something?

Thanks.

Tell us which version(s) you've downloaded (or are trying to use), and maybe someone can help.

Also, do you know how to use deh patches generally? Or have you never played anything that uses a dehacked patch?

What, no problem-solving link from Grazza's Magic Linkage Hat (© 2005 Grazza, all rights reserved)? [/pointless jibe]

I'll download the most recent TC (DOOM2) from /idgames right now, so assume that's what I've got when answering my question. Oh yeah, I believe I have the latest version of ZDOOM.

Sorry for the ambiguity.

Get atcud19.zip, drag the 3 wads and the deh file to zdoom.exe, use UDoom as the IWAD.

I've never tried the Doom 2 version.

Edit: The Doom 2 version gave me an 'old and unsupported deh patch' message in .63a. Of course that means the wad is unplayable. Stick with the UDoom version if you want to use ZDoom.

Belial said:

Edit: The Doom 2 version gave me an 'old and unsupported deh patch' message in .63a. Of course that means the wad is unplayable.

It's a binary dehacked patch. I'm not sure if there are some ports that can handle these (I think I recall someone saying that a new version of EDGE can), but in any case they can be converted to plain text dehacked patches and then used with pretty much any port.

The way to convert them is to load them in with dehacked.exe and then save as a text patch. Not a completely trivial task, but not too complex either. Here is the resulting text deh patch. I'm not certain it's 100% spot-on (mainly because I'm not sure how well the conversion from version 2.0 to 3.0 format goes, and because it was meant to be for Doom 2 version 1.666), but from a quick look it seems to work OK.

Note that the Doom2 version starts on map11. (And yes, there are no monsters on that map.)

Thanks much everyone, I finally got it working!

I love this forum...ask a question and it's correctly answered within the day.