Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

A difficult choice... [million dollars vs Id]

If you had a choice between a million dollars and working for Id software, which would you choose?

I know I'd choose working for Id software!

Bloodshedder said:

Maybe about one fiftieth of it, if you're lucky.

Better than what I own now...

How is this a hard question? Chained to a desk for an unknown number of years or get a nice wad of 1 million dollars. I dunno, I think I'll pick the latter.

I'd rather work at id during the making of Doom. I'd be one of the people responsible for making the game, and I'd get the (multiple) million dollars anyway.

I'll go for the bread, so that way I could buy a bunch of games and junk (and maybe invest in the stock market).

Well, since I've been reading masters of doom lately, I would work at id back in the doom days. Today, I'd take the million no question.

Iamgine if I went back in time with ports for doom before doom even came out! Imagine how much bigger (as in famous) the game would be than it already was.

I'd choose the million, easy choice, id would fire me even before I sit in front a computer. With the money you can buy all the games id made and will make, plus all the necessary computer power for them, and have money to play them without going to work.

Take the Million, buy the college and training required to work for iD, then apply, and totally get turned down, only to realise that I would have to get some shit 80+ hour a week job at EA making shit Madden games. Damn my plan sucks.

Would it be possible to take the million dollars and then use it to bribe both Id Software and Sega of America's Sonic Team?

If that would ever be possible, I'd try bribing them both to hire me.
Can you imagine being simultaneously employed by two competitive companies in one fast-paced industry? I only hope that's legally allowed.

Of course, bribing wouldn't be my primary course of action, I would only use it as a last resort if I was extremely desparate :p
My primary course of action would be to show them my currently existing modding portfolio. And only if that doesn't impress them, only then would I try bribing.

Either way, I'd bravely risk embarassing myself in front of them just to show them how much the game design industry means to me.

I would take the million dollars and then form a band to steal John Carmack's computers, cars and rockets! I'd also take Tim Willit's stuff, but leave it broken somewhere nearby.

I'm sure they're laughing at this thread in the id offices right now. Or maybe hiring extra security.

Technician said:

With further thought I'd still take the million and put in the bank and live off the interest.

Average savings account interest rates are only 0.2 - 0.3% nowadays. That amounts to $24,000 - $36,000 USD per year. I hope you live someplace that doesn't have a very high cost of living.

Grazza said:

I'm sure they're laughing at this thread in the id offices right now.

Do they actually visit this particular forum quite often and lurk around?
Wouldn't they be more interested in lurking on the NewDoom forum or some messageboard which is devoted strictly towards DOOM3 in order to evaluate how well-accepted or ill-accepted their latest product is? That would help them to decide what future course of action to take.

Either way, they seem to be caring more about their own profits rather than about the comments of their fans....At least that's the impression that I've been getting over the past few years. And it seems to be growing more and more each year.

DarkJedi188 said:

Would it be possible to take the million dollars and then use it to bribe both Id Software and Sega of America's Sonic Team?

If that would ever be possible, I'd try bribing them both to hire me.
Can you imagine being simultaneously employed by two competitive companies in one fast-paced industry? I only hope that's legally allowed.

Id and team sonic are competing? O_o

Anyways... on principle I would take a job at id... in a few years when I thought I could actually last there for a bit. OR I would choose to sign on with either splash damage or raven; they do most of the mapping nowadays anyway.
Million bucks? Meh. Cash is not important. As long as you have enough to get you ramen.

"id" today is not the id that once was. i would of course take the million. carmack, he's probably a pretty nice guy if your talented and have some kind of intellect thats in tune with his, if not well you know the story there..

After DOOM³ I lost interest in future id (and other companies) games, all I can see for their future are eye candy engines but more limited in terms of number of characters in screen, size of rooms, with repetitive gameplay, little replay value, that require more and more hardware. Anyone else feels the same? Just being nostalgic.