Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

A difficult choice... [million dollars vs Id]

The million of course. There's probably enough people at iD who don't make shit. Like the office janitor, he'd take the million over having to clean up the stall after Carmack finished wanking it. Chances are, most of us aren't even qualified to be a janitor, which would be the only job we'd get at iD.

Grazza said:

I'm sure they're laughing at this thread in the id offices right now. Or maybe hiring extra security.

I'm sure Romero's getting some shits and giggles with all this negative talk about his former company.

Jehar said:

Id and team sonic are competing? O_o

Well, they are both constantly developing video games, but just not for the same platforms and not in the same genre. But looking on an overall broad scale, YES, they are and always were and always will be competitors of one remarkable industry.

And I like them both equally, so I'd gladly apply for both of them at the same time if I had the right qualifications and if it was ever possible.

Who knows, maybe if some of us folks here miraculously get hired by Id, we'd try to persuade Carmack to remodel his business into the nostalgic image of our minds?
Not really guaranteed to succeed, but it never hurts to try, for the benefit of the future of the community.

If this were late 1992, early 1993, and I had the skills, I'd probably go for working for id. But this is 2005 and my graphical skills on the computer are not exactly professional. So, I'd probably take the money. With the money I could buy everything I want; all of id's games, plus any other games I want, an old computer so I can run DOS perfectly, lots of metal cd's and metal merchandise, of course tons of pot, lots of art books, movies, etc. That just seems like more fun than working for a computer gaming company that I'm not qualified for.

I'd take the million dollars and buy id in the early stages while Doom was being developed. That way I'd get my investment back in dividends.

Ichor said:

I'd rather work at id during the making of Doom. I'd be one of the people responsible for making the game, and I'd get the (multiple) million dollars anyway.

Or you would've ruined it and changed the course of video game history as we know it.

Ralphis said:

Or you would've ruined it and changed the course of video game history as we know it.

Well, judging by the mapping and scripting which Ichor's done for the Carnage Galore series, I'd be tempted to disagree somewhat....However, it all depends on what job position of the game development would be granted to him, and also on which employee of the company he'd be replacing...if he were to replace either Sandy Petersen or American McGee or Shawn Green, then I'm sure that things would've turned out for the better rather than for the worse.

Well, for one thing, I would have made Fortress of Mystery actually look like a fortress.

Fortress of Mystery is E2M9 right?
God how I want to see that map expanded into a humongous maze ten times its original size...and I'd also add more variety to the textures being used there.

But because of school and other crap from "real life" I don't have the time to get into it right now.

Oh and Ichor, since you're here right now, would you mind explaining howcome your homepage with all the Carnage Galore stuff has been completely offline and unaccessible for the past few months?

That's because ravencommunity.net has been offline. The site may be down, but I'm still working on the project, although it has been rather slow at times (real life and all).

And Tom Hall wanted the Refueling Base to actually look like a base. But I'm sure you would've fared better.

Bloodshedder said:

Average savings account interest rates are only 0.2 - 0.3% nowadays. That amounts to $24,000 - $36,000 USD per year. I hope you live someplace that doesn't have a very high cost of living.

Hey, its enough for me to live off of :)

DarkJedi188 said:
God how I want to see that map expanded into a humongous maze ten times its original size

A maze?!

But because of school and other crap from "real life" I don't have the time to get into it right now.

No need to sprain yourself too much with the effort, though, as it doesn't seem too likely that it'll end up in Doom.wad itself.

Ichor said:
That's because ravencommunity.net has been offline. The site may be down,

It seems like it's going the Doomnation way.

an old computer so I can run DOS perfectly

Old DOS computers are not valuable antiques you know, head for a car boot sale with £10 (or $20) in your back pocket and you'll be sorted

I'd take the million and build a mid-engined V8 Mini hotrod (the REAL Mini!)

It seems every game they've made post-shareware Doom spawned among internal strife and personal vendettas. The hell I'd like to work there.

GoatLord said:

With the money I could buy everything I want; all of id's games, plus any other games I want, an old computer so I can run DOS perfectly

Instead of spending cash on an additional out-dated computer, why don't you just download a totally free DOS-emulator called DosBox, which can be obtained from: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

It allows you to run almost all classic Dos games under WindowsXp, with full soundcard support, adjustable display modes, etc.

myk said:

A maze?!

Yes. IMO, a real fortress of mystery contains a huge maze with a Cyberdemon roaming around in it.
And it can always be made into a neat PWAD that could be plugged into the DOOM.WAD at any time.

Bloodshedder said:

Average savings account interest rates are only 0.2 - 0.3% nowadays. That amounts to $24,000 - $36,000 USD per year. I hope you live someplace that doesn't have a very high cost of living.

It's more than enough if you sit on your ass playing games all day. :P

-H

I would take the million dollars and make a supercomputer that automatically upgrades itself every time it needs to. The monitor would be twenty two inches and plasma hd. The sound system would be 7.1.

DarkJedi188 said:

Yes. IMO, a real fortress of mystery contains a huge maze with a Cyberdemon roaming around in it.
And it can always be made into a neat PWAD that could be plugged into the DOOM.WAD at any time.

*coughcatandmousecough*

definietly the million dollars. I can draw, but, cant program worth crap so it's pointless unless i wanted to be a janitor for id.

Gimme the 853,330.00 Euro *g*
Interests in Germany are high enough for me and my lazy ass.

I mean, id would trow me out as i would whine about rpg elements in id games.
If i would had something to say in id back in the creation of doom it would let you travel the whole surface of mars, beating imps to small pieces in random generated dungeons getting new artifacts and new random generated weapons. *g*

Bastet Furry said:

If i would had something to say in id back in the creation of doom it would let you travel the whole surface of mars, beating imps to small pieces in random generated dungeons getting new artifacts and new random generated weapons. *g*

So basically, you would've tried convincing them to turn DOOM into a sci-fi Diablo?
You could've probably become best friends with Tom Hall, since the two of you obviously seem to be thinking alike :)
Would you have also suggested more characters, as in Rise Of The Triad, and as mentioned in the original "DOOM Bible"?

DarkJedi188 said:

So basically, you would've tried convincing them to turn DOOM into a sci-fi Diablo?

No, more like a "The Elder Scroll"-Doom
Still a 3D-Shooter but with the YouCanDoWhatYouLike attidiute.
Maybe even finding friendly demons that sell you stuff like weapons, armor and herbs for healing.

Or joining the evil forces against the UAC and earth. *g*
But i think that doom could never been released as shareware then.

DarkJedi188 said:

You could've probably become best friends with Tom Hall, since the two of you obviously seem to be thinking alike :)

I think i have to mail him my concept *g*

DarkJedi188 said:

Would you have also suggested more characters, as in Rise Of The Triad, and as mentioned in the original "DOOM Bible"?

Sure, NPCs are just a few kbytes datawise. And when someone gets 2 weeks thinking up NPCs... players wherend that fastidious (verwöhnt?) back then.
Maybee telling the story from the landing on like in doom3 and with fever deaths so you have enough supporting NPCs running around.
Like, getting that weapon upgrade done by scientist Dr Armin Hubbert that let your shotgun hold one more shoot before reload. I mean, in doom we surely have the world of nano manipulation.
Or the stack of ammo you recive from gunnery sergent Mike Underwood.
They can give you hints for secret areas, they can give you backup while you hack that lift terminal and so on.
All things that would have enriched not only doom 1 but would have made doom 3 a lot better.

Dynamic levels where another idea.
As you fight back the demons you see the base returning to normal reality. (It says somewhere that the demons brought their own reality with them...)