Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let the original authors save it, it's their baby. The problem is theirs. They have their own thoughts and ideas about CC3 and how it should be handled.

Complicated projects such as CC3 are great but take a great deal of time. Something simple and straight-forward such as the original "Community Chest" that I started finished in a fairly short time. I love ZDoom and it's features, it really is my favorite port, but for a project that just about everyone can be involved in the simple route can be better. Being a past member of TeamTNT and working on Dadeleus as a mapper and a punch team member on that project was very tedious and time consuming. Personal lives get in the way, school, jobs..etc. Look at the history of that project and you'll see, and it was ZDoom specific. I can script, manipulate lumps, add music, put in new textures, new sprites and all the other features of ZDoom, but there are alot of people who cannot and I've always wanted to give those people the chance to showcase their skills they have to the Doom community.

Not everyone can be a part of the TeamTNT's out there or any of the other great teams out there that have contributed many great projects to us for our playing pleasure. Call it what you want, but I like doing that for those "other mappers" out there.

If people are still interested then I will start a new thread with the project format and we'll go from there.

Cadman

Hmm, Why not just have resource management?

Basically, you have a schedule, and have rules set up to joining and submissions at each interval. (This is assuming Zdoom or some port was used [why not use gzdoom... actually, no forget I said that])

Also, you could have more than one person to help sort the resources at each wip, if you have set standards.

(Start) could be just plain getting people to do What ever they want. They can make custom textures, sprites, scripts, ect. Just make sure that they know that the context and uses will be limited and must conform to a certain set of rules.

--Allow any one to join at any time with out restrictions on what can be submitted.--

Wip 1 could be submission of resources to be allocated in to a ... well "Resource.wad" Basically, you have textures, Script templates/modules and monsters and behaviours and such.

--Allow anyone to join, but no modifications to the resource.wad may be done, any maps not complying with this can be dropped.--

Wip (xx) basically this just tells us who will be done in time and such.

--No further people may join past this point.--

But with scripting, since it can be level orientated, allow people to script on a level scale past this point?

Then the rest of the wips could just be progress checks. : P Basically, only allow a set amount of time allocated to making custom resources. If other people wish to use these resources, they can, but past Wip 2, cannot introduce any new content.

Meh, I wrote this on the spur of the moment, so if you don’t like it... Don’t use it, if you like it but want to change it, go ahead. Just whatever! >_<

Oh and THUMBS UP to a CC: Lost Treasure! :)
[EDIT]--FOR GREAT SPELLING JUSTICE!

I wouldn't be keen on a Community Chest Zdoom-only wad. There's already been Zdoom community projects anyway organised at the zdoom forums. The Zdoom forums would be a better place to organise a Zdoom-only community chest megawad, as the people there would really be able to make the best use of Zdoom-only features. I don't think a Zdoom community project from here would hang together well, as it would probably be just mostly standard doom format maps anyway (why limit which ports these can be played in?), with a few Zdoom format oddballs strung throughout.

My main gripes with CC1 and CC2 were that the mapsets as a whole really lacked continuity and progression from one map to the next. This is the one thing I'd personally like to see addressed for a potential CC3. I think this can be easily avoided - simply give certain restrictions (e.g. maps 1-6 must be smaller and only use X-type monsters and Y-type weapons/power-ups), and then people would just pick a mapslot depending on what sort of map they want to create anyway.

I also think allowing new resources would be a good idea, but I really think that would be best handled by having a resource wad created before the start of the project, which would be made available to any participants. Maybe it could be updated a little as the project progressed, if it were really necessary.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. I'd say have more people participating and making maps than there are mapslots available. History shows that not everyone is going to create their maps on time.

If CC3 is revived under a non-zdoom format, most of the work that has been completed will be lost. I know there isn't that much of it yet, but it would be a shame to start all over again. I certainly wouldn't be able to submit my map, which is ~80% finished, due to ACS, slopes and ambient sounds. It would be released as in individual WAD if there aren't any other suitable zdoom projects going.

Well, I'd like to see the ZDoom one completed myself and I'm considering a plan to resurrect it if it's ok.

The Flange Peddler said:

There's already been Zdoom community projects anyway organised at the zdoom forums.

Comprising of one huge map, plus a second one and a controversial episode that both drag on forever :p

The Flange Peddler said:

I don't think a Zdoom community project from here would hang together well, as it would probably be just mostly standard doom format maps anyway (why limit which ports these can be played in?), with a few Zdoom format oddballs strung throughout.

Well, not every ZDoom map has to have slopes round every corner and a ton of scripts in. Even if the map was in Doom/Boom format and only used simple features such as mixed textures/flats, bridge things and skys via mapinfo it'd still be worth using ZDoom for. And if the resource wad is built at the start and not altered afterwards, it's not complicated like Cadman says it is (one problem with the attempted CC3 was the complete lack of clarity about resources). And I'd also avoid 96x/GZDoom and stick to the latest official build to avoid further complications.

(something like Agent Spork's sp_simp wads would be a good example of a ZDoom map that still feels like normal Doom)

You guys have been great in your thoughts and input about the possibility of this project. I haven't setup the format yet and the rules for this thing, but one thing I do like is the idea of a resource wad and also of some sort of continuity to the maps. Starting out small and then working our way up to the bigger stuff as Doom2 did gave it that feel like you were fulfilling the "mission." Please keep in mind that I'm not attempting to even revive CC3, that is an entirely different project all together. This project is new, from scratch guys.

If one of you would like to attempt to revive CC3 with it's ZDoom format then please do, I would like to see it as well! :)

One thing I will do is when this starts I will setup an FTP server with all the files and resources for the Team's d/l pleasure. I'm going to stay away from a web site, I'm just simple minded. Everyone on the Team will have their own access code and password to access the server, you will be able to upload your files and download them as well. If anyone of you attempts to give me a virus of any type I will haunt you forever! (heh). Talk at you later...

Cadman

WildWeasel said:

Cadman: I say go for it. "Community Chest: The Lost Chapter." Has a neat ring to it, don't you think?

Yeah, it does kinda have a nice ring to it...:)

Cadman

Whoops!! Sorry for the double post!

I'm setting up the ftp server, directories and such and smoothing out the format of the thing. Real life does get in the way guys, it'll be ready soon. I'm just trying to organize it right. Also, just for the opening statement of this..."It will be a ZDoom Project."

Cadman