• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

New SLADE (v1.01)

RTC_Marine said:

nice, but you should really use wxwidgets instead :P

Last I remember it didn't support windows themes, so it looked like crap :P

Plus it didn't have any widget packing. Having to specify exact x,y coordinates for widgets is terrible (especially without some visual way to do it like with VB).

Scuba Steve said:

Does this mean no more command prompt editor?

Yup ;)

SlayeR said:

Last I remember it didn't support windows themes, so it looked like crap :P

you use windows themes? yuck :P

SlayeR said:

Plus it didn't have any widget packing. Having to specify exact x,y coordinates for widgets is terrible (especially without some visual way to do it like with VB).

There is a clone dev-cpp project on sourceforge that has added GUI building with wxwidgets, can't remember what its called though.

SlayeR said:

Yup ;)

Thank god. I wanted to give slade a try, but when I installed it and it asked for prompts I promptly deleted it. I'll have to give it a try again.

Nice, I was actually going to ask about that stuff, but now that it's there I suppose there's no point. :P

From the screenshots this program looks great, although I get an error when I try to start it. It says in a pop up message:

"The procedure entry point gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_utf8 could not be located in the dynamic link library libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll"

I added the files from the dllfiles.rar and googled all the other dlls it needed, added them to the Slade folder, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix that message. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I'd just like to say that it's very promising and really cool. Seems to be focused on ease of use, I really like the 3d mode with outlined sectors and things displayed, something that doombuilder misses. The editor screen seems quite much simpler and more elegant than DB. Now that there is an invert mouse option too (I really needed that :) I think I may switch from DB to this one soon. Will there be an option to split a line by adding new vertex to it just by clicking the right mouse button upon a line (Just like in DB)? I think I missed that one in the previous version I tried. Also, how do you switch the snap to grid? Couldn't find that.. (Haven't checked the v1.01 yet though)

I hope the editor improves with new features while focusing on simplicity/ease of use as it seems to be currently. Great work!

Double right click does pretty much the same thing as single right click does in DB. I haven't added a toggle for the snap to grid yet, but it should be easy to do. For now just set the grid to the smallest it can go (which is 1-unit, the same as having no grid snap)

zap610: That's strange. Are you sure you don't have a previous installation of GTK that might be conflicting? Try searching for that dll file and deleting any copies of it that aren't in the folder you installed GTK to.

I got it working, I guess it was not working because I tried to fix the dll problems by simply googling them, but reinstalling it all fixed it.

I found I can draw lines and make sectors with Space. I checked the input and there is more to it. [] for grid is really handy and I've found now that I can easilly draw to each grid size I want, without needing the "stitch to grid" function anymore. I see it will be greater to use if I get used to some shortcuts too!

Some suggestions to correct/add. There are shortcuts to decrease/increase sector heights, but no lightning (when I am at sector mode at least), that would be handy too (I was needing it yesterday to increase equally the lightning of some sectors). Also, the light level when pressing Enter on a sector is set by a number, it would be better if it could also be increased/decreased by 16 points (afteralls the inbetween values doesn't play much role, they are just the same 16 values or?).

Also,. when pressing TAB to switch you don't see the specific parts of the mapping appearing/changing, as you see when you press V/L/S/T. Would an indication somewhere on screen would be good to tell you in which mode you are?

p.s. Shortcuts and good functionality, you must be a Unix guy or? (I even dig the buttons of dirs that are lower than the current WAD dir, why do windows don't have that great thing?!) It's just came in my mind cause I was talking with some Linux friends on such stuff and I told them an example about your editor that made me think of what these guys were trying to tell me at the older times :)

One thing that would be nice is the ability to use mouse buttons for things instead of just keys. It'd be nice if I could have my input settings similar to how I have them in Doom Builder (for instance, I have Mouse 4 set to "draw sector" and Mouse 5 set to "delete").

Keep up the good work on the editor by the way, it definitely shows major promise.

One thing that would be nice is the ability to use mouse buttons for things instead of just keys.

That's planned, I'm going to rewrite the whole input system to incorporate mouse clicks too (rather than hardcoding their functionality).

EDIT: Added for the next version ;)

There are shortcuts to decrease/increase sector heights, but no lightning (when I am at sector mode at least), that would be handy too (I was needing it yesterday to increase equally the lightning of some sectors)

Should be easy to add, expect it in the next version.

EDIT: Added.

Also,. when pressing TAB to switch you don't see the specific parts of the mapping appearing/changing, as you see when you press V/L/S/T. Would an indication somewhere on screen would be good to tell you in which mode you are?

Ah, looks like I forgot to redraw the map when the edit mode is changed that way. Fixed. Also in the next version there will be a status bar, which shows what the current editing mode is.

p.s. Shortcuts and good functionality, you must be a Unix guy or? (I even dig the buttons of dirs that are lower than the current WAD dir, why do windows don't have that great thing?!) It's just came in my mind cause I was talking with some Linux friends on such stuff and I told them an example about your editor that made me think of what these guys were trying to tell me at the older times :)

Heh I'm primarily a Windows user, although I have Linux installed and quite like it. But yeah the 'buttons for directories' in the file browser are there because I just use the default GTK file browser (which is the same in Linux). Some people like that better, some would prefer the native windows browser. I tried using the windows API for it but it didn't work, I don't think GTK liked it :/

If you have a sector and you draw one line that splits it, will the sector itself actually split into two? That and the ability to simply "define" a new sector from an enclosed shape are two items I really enjoyed from DMapEdit but are not in DB. Does this sort of functionality exist currently?

Sector splitting is in (works the same as in DB). The other thing is something I'd like to implement, but have absolutely no idea how to do it :/ Did it work correctly for complex sectors too (with columns/etc)? The only method I've thought up that could do it wouldn't work too well for complex sectors.

The closest thing SLADE has currently is a 'correct sector references' option in the line menu that will attempt to determine the correct sector references for the hilighted/selected line(s).

SlayeR said:

Sector splitting is in (works the same as in DB).

Erm yes this does work "ok" when you have a very simple shape and only want two sectors out of it. OTherwise you have to go through and reoutline/redraw over previously made geometry to get a new sector, which is where the second function would really come in handy.

SlayeR said:

Did it work correctly for complex sectors too (with columns/etc)? The only method I've thought up that could do it wouldn't work too well for complex sectors.

I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a "complex sector" and it's also been a long time since I'ved used dmapedit, but I know at the very least bloodshedder can explain it well as he was also a dmapedit user.

SlayeR said:

The closest thing SLADE has currently is a 'correct sector references' option in the line menu that will attempt to determine the correct sector references for the hilighted/selected line(s).

This is actually pretty neat and a good first step.

Complex sector? You mean like a donut sector? Everything like that I ever threw at DMapEdit it was able to handle fine. The ring around the hole was its own sector, and the hole was another sector.

If you were in sector mode, you could just click in an enclosed space and it would define a new sector if that enclosed space wasn't a sector already. If it had a sector definition already, and was formed properly (closed), it would do basically nothing. If it was part of a sector definition but was ill-formed (say, unclosed, or had a line drawn through it), it would attempt to redefine the sector based on whatever enclosed polygon you clicked inside.

This made it INCREDIBLY easy to fix sector definitions that got messed up. It took me awhile to figure out how to fix them in WadAuthor (mess with "sector facing" for each side of the line) when I was unable to use DMapEdit anymore.

If you clicked in the void, DMapEdit would bitch at you and then do nothing. However, clicking in an enclosed portion of the void (say, a solid column in a room) would create a sector definition just fine.

Oh, and lines that weren't part of a sector definition yet (if you just drew them) were pink.

Slayer said:
The other thing is something I'd like to implement, but have absolutely no idea how to do it :/

I implemented a "sector fill" feature in Yadex.

First, find the closest linedef to the right of the mouse pointer (you probably have this already).

Next, follow the lines around (always using the smallest angle) until you get back to the first linedef. If it doesn't get back, the area must not be closed, so pop up a "area not closed" message and stop. (Extra points if it tells the user where the gap is).

On each line, if it has no sidedefs, add the first one (may need to flip the line here so the sidedef faces the right way). If it has one sidedef but it's on the other side, add the second sidedef. Otherwise just modify the existing sidedef.

For Yadex, I had the feature that if another sector was highlighted, then instead of adding a NEW sector, it changes the area to be the SAME sector as the one highlighted. Very useful.

Tricky part: handling islands (a shape of outfacing lines inside the area). I didn't worry about them, but ideally you would try and find them (e.g. by casting a ray from each outer linedef and see what hits it).

Hmm I'll look into doing it that way, that's pretty much what I had in mind but wasn't sure about the 'islands'. Although, this feature really shouldn't be needed as I've done all I can so that SLADE won't screw up sector definitions. Line drawing is much safer to use in SLADE than it is in DB.

Erm yes this does work "ok" when you have a very simple shape and only want two sectors out of it. OTherwise you have to go through and reoutline/redraw over previously made geometry to get a new sector, which is where the second function would really come in handy.

Sector splits should almost always work correctly in SLADE. The only shape that won't work is a 'donut' sector, but I'll eventually add some sort of check for that.

Oh, and lines that weren't part of a sector definition yet (if you just drew them) were pink.

If it's the same thing, SLADE draws lines with no first side as red (same as in DEU/DETH etc).

Hoorj for digging out old threads.

Anyway, I just tried SLADE 1.01, and I have a problem with 3D mode. It's a bit hard to descript, but I'll try my best.

The movement with both mouse and keyboard is extremely choppy, basically it's unusable. It's not the drawing that is slow. It's more like when I move the mouse, the view goes to the correct position, but moves back to the old position plus a small movement in the correct direction. Really weird. Any idea what that could be?

That's strange, sounds like it's triggering 2 mouse motion events when the pointer is warped back to the middle of the screen, or something to that effect. I'll add a few more checks to the next version and see if that helps. If not it's probably something to do with GTK on your system :/

You tried looking/moiving with only the keyboard?

Why is it so hard for everyone to copy DMapEdit's sector building feature? Deep was an idiot when I asked for it to be incorporated and told me "It is in" when obviously it wasn't. I wish DMapEdit worked in Windows :(