Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Colusio

Launching doom with skill 7 / init 1 on windows

Noticed with legacy that launching a wad with option skill 04 gave me ultraviolence and fast monsters.
That was a typo, zdoom (cab96) has the same behaviour.

You can play legacy/other ports without winlogon (desktop, start menu,services) being active. You can't use the task manager as it's a child of winlogon. Use process explorer from sysinternals.com (there's also a rootrevealer kit over there). With that you can kill winlogon and it childs, you can kill all the rest too,but do not use the kill childs commands with the csrs (? forgot the name and working on linux, the process above winlogon and beneath smss.exe) as it will give bsod. Use the kill command with that one. Do not kill smss. Use the run command to lauch your favourite port. Legacy worked so I guess zdoom/prdoom will work too.
You wan't have sound but u can lauch it with start /realtime option.
After the game you have to reset the computer. There is no sound and no point in doing this except that it can be done.

I could be wrong here, but I think the skill parameters might start at 0. Therefore 4 being Nightmare would be correct.

The console values for skill levels are 0-4 in those engines, while the command line values are the standard 1-5. (Unless they've changed; I don't have the latest versions of either.)

There's no respawning, so skill 04 gives skill 4 + fast monsters. The legacy version is 1.42? birthday edition for windows.

You made me get legacy 1.42 (timestamp April 18, '04) for Windows, and -skill 04 gives you Nightmare! mode, just like 1.32 beta 4 that I already had. The reason is that values 6-0 are taken as 5, and anything after the first digit is ignored. Make sure you're using the command line or a clean batch/shotcut to launch the game and type "legacy -warp 1 -skill 04".

Released source based engines essentially behave like Doom, except that they take 0 as 5+ instead of a separate (thingless) skill setting.

And if you're using the "spskill" console variable, values like 03 and 04 will be taken as 3 or 4, but you don't get fast monsters unless you add -fast or +fastmonsters 1 to the command line, or type fastmonsters 1 in the console or in a CFG your're loading. (Only ZDoom uses the Quake-like skill values, unlike I thought above.)