Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

How accurate is your spam filter?

My GMail account, so far, has been 99% accurate. I have 100 messages with 1 junk mail message in my inbox. That's 49 legitimate messages and 51 junk messages.

Through Outlook 2003, it's about 10 to 15% accurate. Outlook sucks, or maybe it has more to do with the mail server; I don't know.

Spam? Internet? What are these strange concepts you speak of? I'll tell you, after buying my Dell Telegraph and using Gmorse, I've had few problems...

ROFL@Comiclez

My Gmail account hasn't had any spam in it at all. My cox.net account gets about 2 spams a day, though.

Eudora, which services all eight of my POP3 accounts, is, according to its statistics, 85% accurate in detecting spam, and only has generated 4% false positives.

my gmail account is very, very good at filtering the shit out.

I'm mildly concerned about google... their services are free and excellent. There has to be a dark, shady side behind the exterior awesomeness of the company, right?

Gmail's spam filter does kick ass, but I'm pretty sure Google is plotting to take over the world. I also suspect that they are secretly working on an operating system that will knock Microsoft down once and for all.

exp(x) said:

I'm pretty sure Google is plotting to take over the world. ... they are secretly working on an operating system that will knock Microsoft down

By the time that could happen, Bill Gates will have enough money to buy the whole planet.

-_DLD_- said:

By the time that could happen, Bill Gates will have enough money to buy the whole planet.

He has a few billion in cash. His "total" wealth is in his Microsoft stock, which could implode at any time.

mallis said:

I'm mildly concerned about google... their services are free and excellent. There has to be a dark, shady side behind the exterior awesomeness of the company, right?

They make quite a tasty profit, perhaps they have no need for that kind of tactics.

It's hard to portray a corporation as a savior, specially after the Web Accelerator fiasco, but if corporations control the World these days, shouldn't we expect a few good ones to rise from time to time? Like we used to have revolutionary figures and great Kings?

I don't use spam filters. Can't say I'm really concerned about spam since I only check my email roughly once a month.

AndrewB said:

He has a few billion in cash. His "total" wealth is in his Microsoft stock, which could implode at any time.

Sure, and tomorrow the president will admit he fucked up royally and pull troops out of Iraq.

Scuba Steve said:

Sure, and tomorrow the president will admit he fucked up royally and pull troops out of Iraq.

though you would have to admit that'd be kinda cool.

spam- heh, never ever get that anymore. I think spammers have generally stopped because spam filters have gotten so smart now that it'd take quite a brain to even make a dent in my mailbox.

I get a few in my hotmail account. I havd the same account for years and plan on keeping it. So a few chain letters and this weired forn place has been sending me message I can't read. I get too much shit from places like zone.com and gamespy that bug me. I would block all their asses but Hotmail beemed to have removed the block feature.

Csonicgo said:

I think spammers have generally stopped because spam filters have gotten so smart now that it'd take quite a brain to even make a dent in my mailbox.

uh...not hardly. Spam still accounts for over 60% of all e-mail traffic.

After working for an ISP I see spam as a great irony. The corporate Internet business and the media industry (music, games, and video) are in themselves hegemonic spammers. They make you think that ads are required for the services, but in reality it's all a plus related to competition between companies at the expense of your time and your energy. Their enegy too, but they get money, or at least to be somewhere on top of a market. It's even more true with spyware, where the technology made to further commercial enterprises is in fact what made spyware and adware (basically non-email spam, I would call it spamware) so effective.

It saddens and irritates me that the general consumer just tolerates 'spam' in regular day-to-day life.
Grocery store cards, unnecessary tags on clothes, phone ads when you call many businesses.... the best examples are probably movies. 10-20 minutes of ads that you PAID to watch before the movie starts in the theater... and trailers and actual advertisements on DVDs that you buy.
but back OT, I don't filter anything at work or at home because I can't tolerate a false positive (and digging through a 1000 spams at the end of the week would make me miss them anyway). I'd like to set a filter to delete any message not sent directly to my exact email address though...