Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibaholic

Would more ram help me?

I went out and bought a Geforce FX 5500 graphics card for my computer and installed doom 3, I have it on low , 640 by 480 res with everything off. It runs at like 60 fps when idle, then like 30 to 40 fps in combat. But when I enter a new area itll pause for like 2 or 3 seconds then continue or when I shoot someone for the first time in a map. My computer specs are: AMD sempron 3000+ 2.0 ghz processor, 192 megs of ram. So if I were to buy 512 megs of ram, would it fix those problems?

192 megs of ram is really, really low. Even if it won't up your fps, it should make your computer noticably faster. 512 is a good amount for most people, hardcore gamers usually have 1024, and fans of games like FEAR and Battlefield 2 sometimes have even more!

Bastet Furry said:

I heard that it helps decompressing the pk4 files.
It brought my punny GeForce 3 a boost of 4 fps *g*

I did that once as well, and it made the game less stable. Eventually, I was forced to reinstall.

Yes, more RAM will have a huge impact on "door lag" (heh, I like that phrase). I would recommend going farther that 512 megs if possible though. 1-1.5 gigs should almost completely eliminate this type of behavior altogether.