Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ultdoomer

Can someone explain mouse acceleration to me?

Just give me a basic explanation of how it affects turning, and if you could set this to a certain value to make turning in slow-motion smoother.

Thanks,
Phil

I'm sure there are numerous gaming pages about this, but here's a short reply.

Mouse movement is relational to the distance you physically move the mouse on the mousepad. Mouse acceleration increases that relation. Really, there is speed (relational movement of "if I move the mouse an inch, then the cursor moves 4 inches on the screen") and acceleration.
Acceleration, as in physics, is an exponential multiplier added to movement. So, the farther you move the mouse in a burst then the farther you will move the cursor (or your player) on the screen.
For example, a fast 360 degree turn of your mouse could make your player spin around 10 times.... whereas without mouse acc. your player would just move around once or so.

as for turning smoother in slow motion, I suggest turning mouse acceleration off.
often with any software manipulation, the mouse movement 'feels' funny. Like playing basketball on ice, personally, I'd rather just play normally.

Opulent said:
often with any software manipulation, the mouse movement 'feels' funny.

Things feel funny when you're used to something else. I used to shun acceleration back when I started playing Doom on Windows (as opposed to booting to DOS) but then I decided to try it. Doom and most (if not all) the DOS Doom engines have an accelerated mouse by default if you use a standard serial mouse.

I could care less for "slow-motion", but the reason acceleration can be good for turning is that you can combine slight turning and flipping around without either having too much sensitivity for minute movements or having to make too much of an effort to turn fully around.

Hmmz, when I changed my mouse from serial to PS/2 optical, I didn't notice any difference: DOS engines still feel 'right' and win engines still feel 'wrong' for me in the same exact way.

The only difference is related to the fact that I put a sheet of white drawing paper on my mousepad, and the laser occasionally goes mad and I start to turn like when playing back a corrupted demo.

Donce said:
Hmmz, when I changed my mouse from serial to PS/2 optical, I didn't notice any difference: DOS engines still feel 'right' and win engines still feel 'wrong' for me in the same exact way.

I've never tried a PS/2 optical, but I in the past I have forced "Windows DOS" to load a Genius mouse driver and it'd behave like "boot-to DOS". The more obvious difference being that I'd set my mouse sensitivity at 32 or so on the "boot-to DOS", while on "Windows DOS" sensitivity 9 gives equal 180° turns (but slower small movements.)