Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fodders

America has invaded Syyria

US Marines are locked in battle with Syrian troops after crossing the border from Iraq into Syria at a point west of al Qaim

Both sides have suffered casualties. US soldiers crossed over after Damascus was given an ultimatum Thursday, Nov. 24, to hand over a group of senior commanders belonging to Abu Musab al Zarqawi’s al Qaeda force. According to US intelligence, the group had fled to Syria to escape an American attack in Mosul. Syrian border guards opened fire on the American force.
http://www.debka.com/
And so it begins

Just when I thought the Yanks were done their war of the decade. Heh...hopefully this won't inflate too much. War sucks (unless it's a hockey rivalry).

Here we go again...although I thought they'd have taken over Iran first.

(btw we knew months ago that Syria was going to be invaded by the US...we conspiracy theorists are right once again :p)

BlackFish said:

more points will be lost to Bush.

It hardly matters, since he's out either way after another 3 years.

Ok, so some marines were chasing down a group, and were fired upon by the border guards. I don't think one can call this an invasion. In Korea, there has been countless instances in which North Korean forces would shoot pot shots at american forces on the dmz over the past fifty years. We haven't invaded them yet, and I don't think it would be a good idea if we ever do. And no casualties to my knowledge involving the Korean situation I just mentioned, but still, I doubt we're gonna wage war on Syria because of this battle.

nice, they went into syria to drag some sick terrorist trash out of syria. they didn't invade syria, they did them a favour. I guess walking into another country means you "invade" it.

-_DLD_- said:

It hardly matters, since he's out either way after another 3 years.

I wouldn't bet on it, they might find a way to remove the two-term limit. In any case it doesn't matter because the Republicans have secured power forever, they'll just manufacture another Bush if they fail to remove the two-term limit.

Yeah...unfortunately.

If anybody wonders why I'm so pro-Canadian and anti-American, that single post you made is a big reason. I don't hate Americans, I just hate the States itself.

Csonicgo said:

nice, they went into syria to drag some sick terrorist trash out of syria. they didn't invade syria, they did them a favour. I guess walking into another country means you "invade" it.

Well, what gives America the right to go around chasing after "terrorists" in other peoples' countries? It's a repeat of Afghanistan, it's a repeat of Iraq, and it's an example of what's wrong with America's foreign policy.

Csonicgo said:

I guess walking into another country means you "invade" it.

I guess when you do it with soldiers and guns, yes it does. However small the invasion.

zarkyb said:

Well, what gives America the right to go around chasing after "terrorists" in other peoples' countries?

"You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror." That justifies everything, apparently. Oh yeah, that and having a bigger gun than averyone else.

The Ultimate DooMer said:
Here we go again...although I thought they'd have taken over Iran first.

Again literally because a similar incursion apparently happened a couple years ago.

I'd say that half the "battle" over the "should they stay or should they go" with a big and costly force is decided one way or the other depending on whether the troops stray too far. It seems certain actors or factions want them to get deeper into this shit since they feel they've got clout or gain to earn, and others are vying for the opposite as they see the costs. And organizing that campaign while keeping it even remotely "civil" must be quite a challenge which only becomes greater as time ticks by, giving entropy an extra ace to play.

Enjay said:

I guess when you do it with soldiers and guns, yes it does. However small the invasion.

He's right. If I were doing guard duty on board a Royal Navy ship in a foreign port I wouldn't be allowed to step onto the port while holding my weapon. That's classed as invading a country. I remember a story about a Royal Marines combat exercise going wrong and Portugal getting a horrible fright. They were supposed to land at Gibralter for the exercise but went off a bit and landed on the wrong beach. Unsurprisingly, the security forces there got one heck of a fright.

Enjay said:

Britain has armed soldiers most places, the Empire lives on.

fodders said:
And so it begins

This stuff is kind of irrelevant compared to the shit going on around the al-Hariri issue, where the real "battle" is being fought.

If the US manages to frame Syria for the assassination they'd have a reason to meddle in there other than the standard "oh hey let's apply sanctions in case they build nukes", with a chance to move the legs of the military that are getting rusty in the Iraqi mire, and with a palliative for the angst about Syrian oil changing hands without them supervising the deals. A good deal of the Bush administration hates the Ba'ath party and the fact that they will dare protect their economy while doing business.

Happy Thanksgiving, marines!

Note that if we were to take down the governments of Syria and Iran, we'd have a safe corridor halfway across Asia. Kind of makes you wonder.

I believe this was all figured out over a year ago. Everyone who's surprised, show of hands.

fodders said:

Both sides have suffered casualties. US soldiers crossed over after Damascus was given an ultimatum Thursday, Nov. 24, to hand over a group of senior commanders belonging to Abu Musab al Zarqawi’s al Qaeda force. According to US intelligence, the group had fled to Syria to escape an American attack in Mosul. Syrian border guards opened fire on the American force.
And so it begins

Fodders, what's America?

DEBKAfile Exclusive: Syria claims US forces suffered 11 casualties in a Syrian-US clash Thursday night, Nov. 24 – without clarifying whether they meant dead or wounded

November 25, 2005, 5:14 PM (GMT+02:00)

Internal Syrian communications channels report Syrian “Desert Guards” border units fought US Marines who crossed into Syria at a point west of al Qaim. They also claimed 30 Syrian casualties.

DEBKAfile’s military sources report the battle took place at the Syrian-Iraqi border town of Abu Kemal. US forces were in hot pursuit of a group of al Qaeda operatives who fled across to Syria in escape an American attack pinning them down in Mosul. The US military delivered Syria an ultimatum to hand the terrorists over. The American pursuit continued Friday when Syria failed to respond

Comiclez said:

Fodders, what's America?

Do you mean "What is America?" as in where is it? or "What is America?" as in "Is it the foremost terrorist country in the world?"

fodders said:

Do you mean "What is America?" as in where is it? or "What is America?" as in "Is it the foremost terrorist country in the world?"

No, what is this "America" you speak of? I have heard of no America. America? New Concept?