Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

Congestion 1024 released!

After just over a year of construction Congestion 1024 has been released.
It is a 32 level megawad of levels no bigger than 1024 X 1024. Some maps have areas outside the 1024 X 1024 block but they are not part of the playing area.
It should run on most limit removing ports. Just use Boom or Zdoom to be safe.

Thanks to Agent Spork for hosting the wad until it's up on idgames. :)

1024.zip 3MB
1024.txt

For some screenshots head to its WIP page.

*FILE UPDATED 4TH DECEMBER, IF DOWNLOADED BEFORE THEN, REDOWNLOAD.*

A few comments, based on just having looked at the first two maps so far (in Prboom-plus and Zdoom and a couple of others...):

"Crashes" Eternity
Crashes Prboom 2.02. Does it work with Boom 2.02? (I can't test this easily)

Map01 features a nice wallrun S50 shortcut route
Map02: The intended exit route appears to be Zdoom-only. With limit-removing/Boom compatible you can exit, but it involves a tricky jump from the pillar where the revenant is.

Grazza said:

Map02: The intended exit route appears to be Zdoom-only. With limit-removing/Boom compatible you can exit, but it involves a tricky jump from the pillar where the revenant is.

Hmm, it uses all Doom2 tags. The only way I can fix that is by strongly simplifying the door. :(

EDIT: Damnit, map11 doesn't work in Boom at all. :\

EDIT again: I can give map11 Boom compatibility if I remove all the dummy sectors and spawning monsters. God..

KwadDamyj and DLD on AIM:
Darth Eldraganus: sup?
OSR Agent: Not much. Just sampled 1024 Congestion.
OSR Agent: Get it. Now.

Lutrov71 said:

Hmm, it uses all Doom2 tags. The only way I can fix that is by strongly simplifying the door. :(

EDIT: Damnit, map11 doesn't work in Boom at all. :\

EDIT again: I can give map11 Boom compatibility if I remove all the dummy sectors and spawning monsters. God..

What the hell it was tested with??

I played up to map08 so far, and I was using Zdoom.
The things that I noticed was that the yellow key in map04 was very hard to pick up. I had to try a number of times to bump the wall before I got it. (This probably would have been easier in Boom or somesuch where it's possible to wallbump and get items.)
EDIT: actually, it was so bad, that I even considered that there were something else I had to do before I could get it.

and then there was this thing in map06 where there's a lavapit that you can't get out of. It's a minor issue, but I find it quite weak.

Other than that, it's been pretty good.

Hmm, I never had any trouble getting the yellow key in Map04. I moved it forward though, so when I upload it to idgames it should be fine.
I'm pretty sure all the maps apart from Map02 and Map11 work fine in Boom. I'm not sure how to fix the problem in Map11 without affecting the gameplay too much, the other route on Map02 can be used instead of using the misfunctional 'Zdoom' door.

The Flange Peddler made lots of maps for 1024. He's an amazing mapper. :D

And yeah, the whole project should now be Boom compatible, (with the slight exception of map02. Yay.

The first 10 maps bored me to death. Too easy and the size limit makes them cramped. Not my idea of fun dooming.

Did you play them from pistol start, Mr Happy Camper?

Personally, I quite like the claustro environment that this crates. Cause me to be more resourceful with my supplies and the way I dodge attacks. More planning.

Lutrov71 said:

the other route on Map02 can be used instead of using the misfunctional 'Zdoom' door.

I don't believe it should be left like that. After all, it is map02 of a megawad, and this is a showstopper in one of the exe types that it is claimed to be designed for.

Leaving in the trick jump as a speedrunning option would be cool (it is a bit quicker than the intended route). But it's much too difficult and awkward a trick to require the player to use it. (It needs accuracy and luck, and possibly strafe-50 too; on top of that, you're jumping blind.)

Are the failures at start-up with Eternity and Prboom 2.02 (and presumably Boom itself) fixable? As it stands, it seems kind of a shame for those authors who did make sure their maps worked with everything that they were meant to.

I loaded the wad succesfully in Boom 2.02 after exporting the BUNNY patch, resizing to 64x96, then importing back. Wintex shows it in odd colors now, however.

EDIT: Can anyone tell where exactly to find the BUNNY texture in-game?

boris said:

The Flange Peddler did it again. Map04 is just awesome. I wish I could map like this.

Glad you liked the map. I really liked making maps for this, working within the tight constraints was an interesting challenge. I think my personal favourite out of the whole bunch is Russell P's Null Space JR, the way the play area opens out over the course of the map is really inspired.

Regarding the yellow key on map 4 - Yeah, I know it can be a bit of a pain to get, but I had to put it as far back as it is, so as to stop the player being able to bump into it from the lower floor, before the red switch has been activated. If you place the key any further forward I think it'll be really easy to bump into it from below. So I'd say leave it where it is.

BUT... I've just been trying out map04 in boom and it seems some of the doors don't want to work. I don't know why this is, as they're standard DR doors, I think it might be to do with the proximity of the DR lines to a 'WR floor raise' linedef which activates the fake 3D bridge. Zdoom seems to fix this however. I'll have a look into it and try and get it fixed.

Edit: Sigh :o\ Playing through some of the maps the texture offsetting is way off in anything but Zdoom... exactly what does that damn port do to texture offsetting? Map 30 also doesn't work in boom properly. Don't know why at the moment, but I'll look into it. At the moment I'd say this is best described as Zdoom-only...

Edit again: Map 27 doesnt work either...

Edit again: I've managed to fix Map30 and it now should work fine in Boom and Zdoom. I'll email you the updated version Lutrov. Is there a limit/bug to how many linedef specials can be close to each that Zdoom has removed? It's just I could only get the blue door to work in Boom if I removed a 'WR Crusher Stop' linedef that's 16 map units away from the blue key DR door linedef. Very weird :o\

I'll look into my other maps that aren't working properly and send you any uypdates Lutrov.

The Flange Peddler said:

Is there a limit/bug to how many linedef specials can be close to each that Zdoom has removed? It's just I could only get the blue door to work in Boom if I removed a 'WR Crusher Stop' linedef that's 16 map units away from the blue key DR door linedef.

I think this post by RjY may shed some light on this issue.

The Flange Peddler said:

Is there a limit/bug to how many linedef specials can be close to each that Zdoom has removed? It's just I could only get the blue door to work in Boom if I removed a 'WR Crusher Stop' linedef that's 16 map units away from the blue key DR door linedef. Very weird :o\

You cannot activate a line special through another one in most engines. ZDoom ignores Walkover triggers in this check so it works there. In Boom you can work around this problem with the Passthrough flag but that obviously wouldn't work in non-Boom compatible source ports (are there still ones that have to be considered for this project?)