Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

Congestion 1024 released!

Great news! However, I have a question: is it okay to start recording demos, or is it advisable to wait for a re-upload (with fixes) for the sake of demo compatibility?

I think you should wait until it's pretty much bug-free, then make demos.
I'm going through now and trying to remove any MAJOR bugs that occur when played in Boom.

EDIT: I've fixed bugs on Map11, Map29 and Map25 so far. I don't understand why they didn't work in Boom. :\
'Hanging victims' blocked the player in Boom, so I removed them from map22.

Ok, the only maps with fairly major problems when played in PrBoom 2.02 are map23 and map13. I've gone through and fixed up the other levels. All that's really left is texture misallignments that happen because of Boom.

No. They don't happen because of Zdoom :)

Anyway, I can live with that, as long as the levels can be completed in Boom.

I didn't say they happen because of ZDoom. ZDoom keeps the textures the way they're supposed to be.

And yeah, that's pretty much what I'm trying to do. If it's beatable in Boom it should be fine.

Maps that rocked: 28, 32

Maps with proper gameplay: 15, 16, 20, 24, 26, 27

I think map23 can't be beaten in ZDoom when you use inf. tall actors. Edit: Heh. Already fixed :).

Worst maps:

11 - I just love getting raped by cacos because there's no room to move around.

21 - Barely enough ammo to take care of all the monsters.

29 - Abusing monster teleporters made this map the most boring one in the whole wad.

All IMO of course.

@Kristus: Ya from pistol starts. Planning? Yeah right. You need that for maps like Deus Vult map02 or HR2 map32, not this.

Belial said:

The first 10 maps bored me to death. Too easy and the size limit makes them cramped. Not my idea of fun dooming.

I'm beginning to think that there's not a single wad on this earth that you find to be entertaining. I never see you make anything but negative comments towards anything.

Oh yeah, and I agree with Kristus regarding HR and Dues Vult.

Donce said:

I loaded the wad succesfully in Boom 2.02 after exporting the BUNNY patch, resizing to 64x96, then importing back. Wintex shows it in odd colors now, however.

EDIT: Can anyone tell where exactly to find the BUNNY texture in-game?

I'm sorry about that. I intended to include it in a secret but never got around to it. I didn't use it and I don't think anyone else did either so it should be removed.

Belial: Please explain to me what proper gameplay is. I wasn't aware that there was such thing as proper gameplay.
Oh, and it clearly states in the txt file that "These maps are all playable from pistol start. To enjoy the utmost 1024 experience this is recommended."

@Spork: About the negativity, that's bullshit and you know it.

@Lutrov: A map has proper gameplay when it's: not cramped, not boring, not annoying, well balanced, where success is based on skill and not on luck.

Lutrov71 said:

I think you should wait until it's pretty much bug-free, then make demos.
I'm going through now and trying to remove any MAJOR bugs that occur when played in Boom.

EDIT: I've fixed bugs on Map11, Map29 and Map25 so far. I don't understand why they didn't work in Boom. :\
'Hanging victims' blocked the player in Boom, so I removed them from map22.

question: as the maps are updated, is the zip at the top updated as well, or are you waiting to make a v.2 or something?

I like the gameplay on this wad quite a bit, but the bugs are keeping me from playing past map 04 due to frustration.

Well its a fun wad. Not the best I've ever played, because it annoyed me, but it isnt "teh sux." Filled up todays free time pretty well actually. 3/5

@The HR & DV haters: A wad doesnt suck just because you arent skilled enough to beat it.

Erm, I would say that's flame bait. It's not an issue of a player not being skilled enough to finish the maps, it's just a difference in tastes which is not a bad thing at all. Different gameplay appeals to different players and it was up to the wad designer to take a design and try to appeal to as many players as possible with it. Satisfying them all is very tough and it doesn't need to happen because it might not be possible. The "army of monsters" approach simply will not appeal to everyone, no matter how it was executed.

Yeah, you would be right about it being flamebait. ;D

And until MAP24 of HR I didn't really think it was an "army of monsters" approach.

Belial said:

@Lutrov: A map has proper gameplay when it's: not cramped, not boring, not annoying, well balanced, where success is based on skill and not on luck.

Did you just get off the bus bound for dumbass? The entire POINT of CONGESTION 1024 was cramped maps... to build it WITHIN 1024 mapunits. You don't have to like cramped fighting, and many Doomers don't, but why in God's name are you playing a set of maps specifically designed FOR cramped fighting?!? That would be the equivalent of downloading Batman Doom then ranting that "Batman sucks, they should have made a Spiderman Doom".

I didn't enjoy the gameplay of many of the maps... but then again, I don't enjoy cramped maps so you know what? I didn't play them. I was blown away by the sheer beauty of some of these maps so I just killed monsters and ran through. I realize that CONGESTION 1024 is a cramped style set of maps, so I bear that in mind when playing.

You are just so full of shit. And the maps included in this wad that are not cramped at all, prove it.

I can play any wad I want to and I can voice my opinion. If I followed your retarded approach I would've missed such great maps like 28 and 32 and the other ones I liked.

Edit: I just realized that when you said 'killed monsters' you probably meant ~kill monsters. Sorry, not my style. I don't give a damn about how maps look like if they don't play right. It also means that you don't really know anything about the gameplay of the maps you deemed 'cramped' without even playing them.

b00mb0dy said:

question: as the maps are updated, is the zip at the top updated as well, or are you waiting to make a v.2 or something?

When I upload it to Newstuff it will be the updated version.

Were the nodes rebuilt on map07 and map17? i've just run through with prboom and some texture offsets are screwed. The original map is fine :(

Vile said:
It's not an issue of a player not being skilled enough to finish the maps, it's just a difference in tastes which is not a bad thing at all.

I'm not diehard fan of ultra-hard monster packed wads because they are very hard. I mean, I find demos on them by suitable players great to watch, and I do play them to a degree, but I am indeed put off myself because of the difficulty somewhat.

If you're talking about very hard wads, liking them or not will invariably take into account their hardness, since it's an inescapable and dominating element of those wads.