Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Most embarrassing way to die/get hurt

I'm sure we've all gotten mad at the way we've died in Doom because of something stupid, but what exactly can be an embarrassing way to die or take damage?

My most embarrassing way to take damage is when I'm chainsawing a demon and it still bites me...it just seems so stupid since they have a quite high pain chance and it'd almost seem impossible to get through the chainsaw killing it.

My most embarrassing way to die is either the birds in Batman Doom or getting killed by a zombieman or lost soul after having an epic battle with like 5 cyberdemons or something...

The top ten must all involve the rocket launcher. Having a monster respawn right in front on you just when you're firing a rocket can be quite distressing.

There's also pumping a rocket into the exit switch when you meant to press Use, but I think Kristian is the expert on that. :p

Yeah, accidental Rocket discharges and piddly enemies...those suck. Also if you're standing next to a barrel, an enemy misses, and you get turned into a small pile of goo.

Rocket that hits a ceiling to close when you were trying to shoot enemies up above. That pisses me off. Or shooting a demon with a rocket on acciedent. Actually, mine was when I had no ammo left I decided to rush a cyberdemon with a chainsaw. Not fun -_-

When recording a demo, the most frustrating thing is when you reach for the exit, press the spacebar... and the map restarts because you were killed just a tick before :)

Grazza said:
There's also pumping a rocket into the exit switch when you meant to press Use, but I think Kristian is the expert on that. :p

I knew it, I'll be reminded of that for the rest of my days! :-P

(For those who want to see what it looked like, download this demo)

I find it very annoying let alone embarrassing to run into a slime pit you can't escape as well...that's more annoying than anything though, since if you didn't save or aren't saving then you're screwed...why must people make traps like that?

Most annoying way to die was in a dark room, my health was down to 20, and a fat zombie crept out of a corner behind me and knocked my head off.

Geting nailed by a zombieman from miles away when you just made it through an enormous battle. Happened to me in kama sutra IIRC.

Gettin telefragged by a zombie man (not by a icon either) is always pretty bad... as is any manner of death right before reaching that last medkit.

Invisibility has this way of spreading enemy projectiles that totally shortcircuits my dodging skills. Eating incoming Imp fireballs because you were expecting them to follow a more direct trajectory to you drives me nuts.

I wish real medkits could rebuild flesh and organs like the Doom ones.

Strafting right into a cybers rockets always made feel stupid.

One time I was killed by a pistol zombie that I neglected to kill at the beginning of the game, coming back later after being torn up by the map with less than 3 health. :(

Not really the worst way to go but it was somewhat amusing, I was playing in a coop and I went down this narrow pit and fell on a caco. It started rising above the pit with me on it and hurting me, it reached the area above and I finally died, it almost looked like the thing ate me.

Standing in a doorway pumping rockets into the next room and forgetting about/mis-timing the door closing and continuing to release the rockets as the door closes.

Firing a rocket, dying, then respawning right in front of your rocket. Ever since then, I wait for the rocket to explode before respawning.

I've had quite a few of these moments happen to me over the years...not all of these were with regular weapons:

- A similar incident to Ichor's screenshot, on Map08 (Rockit) of TVR!.wad.
- With the ww-bsni weapons, accidentally circle-strafing into an active plasma mine while dodging a Baron fireball.
- Also with ww-bsni weapons, on Map26 of Scythe2 - hitting the primary instead of the secondary on the Plasma Mine launcher (FYI: the alt-fire on that weapon detonates the mine internally, emitting a stream of plasma that doesn't hurt the player - the primary just launches the mine, which explodes on contact)
- Map04 of Equinox. An imp killed me on the stairs to the right of the main entrance room, and subesquently got into a fight with another one. When he won, his butt was right in my face (which is really more mocking than embarrasing, because there are just to many imps in that room).

I also find it embarrassing to let myself get hit by a fireball since I have no room to strafe and for some reason it does like 70 damage even though it's like a caco ball...

Vile said:

Not making it to that vital medikit in time.

Almost looks like the Medkit is smilig at us...mocking us...

Damn that Medkit...it is pure evil I say!