Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Most embarrassing way to die/get hurt

I have to agree that dying right in front of a precious health item is very embarrassing. Lord knows I've died just a few feet in front of a soul or mega sphere. :/

Getting barrelled is more embarrassing than accidents with the rocket launcher.

I was in a corridor in Room 101, low on health. I met a cacodemon. I thought I was fine until the damn thing detonated the barrel that I'd forgotten was behind me.

The worst part was that I'd considered the barrel just before meeting the cacodemon, but decided to save ammunition and not pop it.

Snarboo said:
I have to agree that dying right in front of a precious health item is very embarrassing. Lord knows I've died just a few feet in front of a soul or mega sphere. :/

Bah! You were lucky! I've died so close to medikits that my dead, sliding body has passed over them/through them...

Talking of corpse slides, ending up on an exit linedef only a few mapunits short of crossing it is pretty embarassing. Not to mention highly annoying.

Kristian Ronge said:

Bah! You were lucky!

I'll resist the temptation to make a Python-style response to that.

A corpse-slide where you cross the exit linedef but fail to trigger it can be a bit heart-breaking. I haven't had that happen very often at all, though I did get it when playing back one demo (ic10p005) in Eternity - fortunately it turned out just to be some port incompatibility issue. I've certainly had lots and lots that have ended just short, though that's just goes with the territory when going for long slides, so I don't really feel like the game has cheated me in those cases.

Well, the way to die that I hate the most is to accidentally strafe into a monster projectile.
When you're invisible, monsters fire their missiles in random directions. However, you instinctively strafe away for any missile. The missiles always seem to be fired in the direction that I strafed to...

-having the bfg right in a cyber´s behind for a quick kill, yet he turns around and paints the walls with my remnants, I hate that
-once in awhile at low health getting killed by a zombieman

Death by stupid mutation (lava, nukage, whatever...) that can and should have been avoided.

Kristian Ronge said:

Bah! You were lucky! I've died so close to medikits that my dead, sliding body has passed over them/through them...

Wow...that is absolutely awful =(.

Accidentally suiciding with a Rocket when you and one other person are the only players remaining in a Last Man Standing SkullTag game.

I'd have to say getting killed by a un-berserk punch. I had that happen to me once while playing my first multiplayer doom 2 with ZDaemon. The other one is thinking that you've successfully dodged a rocket or heavy fireball only to side step right back into it and getting blown to bits. I hate that so much.

I also think it's stupid that if you're absolutely DRILLING an Archvile with plasma rounds and it STILL manages to blow you up after ALL THOSE DAMN ROUNDS.

Well I was playing Icon of Sin on JDoom and I got telefragged. Nothing special right? Well 3D models were enabled and when I died I found myself staring up a Mancubus' ass crack. Joy.

Bashe said:

I also think it's stupid that if you're absolutely DRILLING an Archvile with plasma rounds and it STILL manages to blow you up after ALL THOSE DAMN ROUNDS.

Archie has a very low pain chance (half that of a cyber). Unless you can hit him with something big, he's gonna likely to get his attack in (if he can see you and isn't distracted, of course). Something you've just got to work around.

(Edited to acknowledge the fact that archie's pain chance isn't so low that plasma will never keep him subdued.)

Grazza said:

Archie has a very low pain chance (half that of a cyber). Unless you can hit him with something big, he's gonna get his attack in (if he can see you and isn't distracted, of course). Something you've just got to work around.

But there have been times where I drilled it with plasma and it didn't even stand a chance.

This happened on a coop server with a wad that contained many zdoom features. I was fighting some kind of cloaked cacodemon that flew over a bottomless pit and spat baron shots. (It was stolen from Toke's wad! :O) Next to me was a team mate who was busy rocket spamming the thing. Now, I'm not the kind of guy who appreciates rocket spammers, so I stepped in front of him (to teach him a lesson >:D) His rocket blew up right in his face but there was just one tiny problem...
IT KNOCKED ME INTO THE #$*&ING PIT!!!
There was no way out and even if there was, I wouldn't have been able to use it due to the fact that the pit did 255 damage.

Standing still after youve telefragegd and then going "i need a thambulance!" or (with rocket laucher) fire, take cover behind wall, come out, fire, take cover behind wall, fire, take cover behind wall and fire... SHIT!!

Or the classic rocket jumping when you forget you have quad damage but thats quake....

avoiding a fireball and later running into it and getting killed.
Sometimes my mouse freaks out and my guy starts spinning around in a circle and if I get killed that is pathetic.

Getting hit by a projectile travelling through a monster you just killed, since the death frames don't have the obstacle/shootable flag.