Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caligari87

"LOL" Doom Moments

Well, I was kind of wondering if anyone around here has ever had a moment where something happened in a Doom game that made you either smile really big, or simply laugh just because it's so funny. Intended joke levels don't count!

My personal favorite experience happened in a small test level I made with some lost souls and barrels for some reason (weapon test I think). Actually, it might have been something in Doom2, but I don't really know *shrugs*

Anywho, A lost soul charged me, and being low on ammo, I wisely decided to dodge it. Well, about the point that it passed my field of vision, I had one of those "Oh my..." moments: I realized there was a whole line of barrels behind me, right in the path of this skull.

In about one tenth of a second, I realized this, and resigned myself to die. Then, as soon as the thought passed through my head, I heard the BOOM, and the exploding remains of the lost soul hurtled back the way it had come at hyperspeed, leaving me alive.

I don't know why, but for some reason, this cracked me up. I started laughing so hard that I died soon after simply because I couldn't play, my hands were shaking so hard. I think I laughed for a whole fifteen minutes, running that scene through my head again and again.

Anyway, what's your funny story?

I was playing Skulltag one day, and decided for the hell of it to spurt out random quotes, so, I said "YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!" and someone starting spawning archvile statues, and then, the throne of lies was born.

Bigouch, "Night Training" a Cyber Demon, and the "shit-smear" sound zombies and imps make when they get splattered.

Some funny stuff:

• Two monsters killing each other simultaneously
  • Archie killing itself with its own splash damage (e.g. when retaliating against a cyberdemon)
  • Big fat mancubus lifted up by a platform with >90% of its body hanging over the edge
  • Lost souls being cajoled into killing a boss brain
  • PEs trying to attack when the lost-soul limit has been reached
  • -fast Barons or HKs appearing to fire out of their ass when they've been hit from behind just at the moment they were about to fire at the player
  • Demons that have been attacked by other monsters that they can't reach, enabling the player to walk among them with impunity

Whenever a body seems to coast along the edge of a stair or some raised platform and just keeeeeeeep on sliding until it reaches the end of the line. Case in point:

http://www.dashevil.sytes.net/stx-Vile/slider.avi

Props to Jochen "Angus" Schneidau for including that easter egg demo in his s225 attempts. I'm surprised the body also slid underneath the mancubus and kept on going.

killing a baddie and having an archvile revive it, only to kill it and have the arch re-revive it and kill it again and have it revived and killed again. I did it once until the arch died from shotgun spray.

Using a hitscan weapon to Shoot a zombie or imp that's on a high, narrow ledge, and when he dies he flies right off as if he got a rocket in the back. The effect seems to be even more extreme in Heretic when you use the Dragonclaw on the golems.

i was playing map21 of doom2, and i shot a rocket at an imp on a ledge. the rocket caused it to fly up real high. (i think i was using some rocket launcher from some weapons mod)

Killing a monster, then having a fast door close on it before it even hits the ground. Even more amusing in Hexen (splat noise).

KwadDamyj said:

Watching Pain Elementals get into fights with their own Lost Souls.

Especially when it looks like they're trying to lay the smackdown on the Lost Souls with those tiny arms of theirs...

Oh, and that sliding video = OMFGWTFBBQROFLBOMBSORZ!

I always find it funny to shoot the barrel the shotgun guy is stuck to in map02 and watch him gib. Simple things amuse simple minds.

Playing WildWeasel's Cold Hard Cash mod for EDGE.

I combined a berserk pack with the crowbar. The result? Literal fountains of gore. It was quite rather satisfying to a near-obscene degree.

It was pretty funny: I was playing some DM on jditxe.wad MAP02. Another player and I hit the jump pads (facing each other) at the same time, colided in mid-air and blew each other away with rockets, at point blank range at the exact same time!

Enjay said:

I always find it funny to shoot the barrel the shotgun guy is stuck to in map02 and watch him gib. Simple things amuse simple minds.

Shit-smearing zombies is always amusing.

Oh...is there any way to do it without Godmoding?

*insert Grazza popping in with a demo/video link here*

If you're invulnerable, just run up to one and stay pressed up against it when it makes its attack. Repeat several times (I can't remember offhand how many is typical, but it's not a very practical way of killing an archie, unless it's map with a very generous supply of invuls and/or megaspheres).

As I mentioned above though, a more standard situation is to get a cyber to hit to archie. Archie will then (unless you distract him) attack the cyber repeatedly until one or the other is dead. Normally the archie dies first if he is able to get close to the cyber, as his own splash damage will diminish his health before the cyber is done for. And of course archie has already been hit by a rocket to start with. There are some nice archie/cyber infights in the demos on Squadron417, but I forget which maps.

I recorded a demo (en03p245) where I persuaded an archie to explode a load of barrels with his splash damage, which I thought was quite funny too (and especially satisfying since that same archie had ruined several earlier attempts). You'll also find other demos where the player presses up against an archie while shooting it, just to make sure archie hurts himself if he does manage to blast the player.

idclip-ping and then pausing while on an archvile, un-idclip-ping, then unpausing. The lolworthiness commences as he tries to kill you, only to knock himself around following that up by a suicide in the process.

Watching two demons or two imps kill eachother on psx doom, it happens very rarely.
First time I saw it, I had something like wtf this can't be happening.
It was quite a funny moment for me.

the time i killed a mancubi with my fist then died against a former human when i had a shotgun soon after

I was raping some st kid on Map01 and he's like "WTF A HOMING ROCKET" and was serious. :) Thought that was funny.

I was playing a Deathmatch with about 8 other players on this australia server. I was the only non-native player with a ping of like 300-500, but still I had like a 50 frag lead (AND I JOINED HALFWAY INTO THE GAME).

Needless to say, I was laughing hysterically the entire time. Not because I'm so good, but because they sucked that bad :)