Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Strange multi-computer issue

I've got about six computers, connected to a hub, connected to a network. The computers all have Windows 98 SE and they all log into a network domain. The computers have no local login; to get into the computer, I need network access to the domain.

In the last couple of weeks, a problem has arisen: Five of the six computers connect intermittently. It seems with any given computer, it will connect half the time. The other half of the time it will not connect, presumably because it cannot connect to the domain controller with the user accounts. The sixth computer can connect all the time without any problems (assuming it's plugged into the network).

I've tried replacing the hub, the cables, and the NICs, with no notable change in symptoms. Other computers on the network can connect to the domain without trouble.

Well, Sherlock?

(BTW, this is the work-not-school equivalent of asking someone to do my homework for me.)

Are you using DHCP? Do the connection issues arise when there are more computers connected to the network?

Workgroups are much easier to deal with. What are you doing with your network that requires a domain?

I've experienced this problem as well, and after trying all that you have already suggested the best solution was removing win9x. While I'm not touting that as the ONLY solution, I can at least vouche for the issue as being not unique.

Bucket said:

Workgroups are much easier to deal with. What are you doing with your network that requires a domain?

A: Authenticating elementary students.

exp(x): DHCP is being used, but this is only an issue on this particular set of Win98 computers on this particular switch. DHCP is used throughout the network.

BTW, this network is set up at a K-12 school.

Regen said:

Could be the switch, they do go bad. swap it out and see what happens.

He said he tried that.

Have you tried setting static IPs? I used to have problems on my home network with computers not connecting occasionally. Disabling DHCP took care of the problem.

Thats what i get from reading to fast. i have several computers mixed 98se/XP myself and i dont think ive ever ran into such a problem that could not be easily remedied with a quick system/router switch re-boot, or in an extreme case (due to a new cable modem) a quick running of the router/switch setup disk. but everything is also kept at the default/setup/auto detection level with mine (since 98se windows has been pretty good in that department)