Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

Arctic Wolf remake project

This idea of mine ought to get some exposure, I think, so here goes.

Remember in the Newstuff 256 thread where I said I'd love to remake Arctic Wolf if Laz would get back to me? Well, he has approved of the project, so I've started a task force to give Arctic Wolf a complete overhaul.

The thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/potato.php?t=8768

The team is looking for members at the moment - at present, we still need mappers and scripters, though applicants to other positions will also be accepted (outside of music, which is already filled).

The project is currently in its infancy, so regrettably there isn't much to show for it yet, but I expect we'll at least have some new weapons and maybe a couple of retooled areas to show within a couple of months.

IMO the only things which need to be remade and rethought in the mod are the .DEH patches.
Everything else...the maps and the graphics are perfect.
Why do you want to remake Laz's maps for?
The layouts are neat and there's more than enough exploration to get me lost every now and then.

uh, the maps where terrible! Honestly, the only thing Arcticwolf, or indeed, any of the wolfendoom maps had going for them where how they looked. Besides, I want it to be chock-a-block full of zdoom awesomeness! which means I want map to use zdoom features.

While we're on the topic of zdoom features... could you stay away from things like intros, cutscenes ect, and like, not make the objectives to complected?

Wolfenstein's about nazi slughter dammit! any time I'm not killing nazis, I'm not playing Wolfenstein!

Regarding a few issues:

- Mission Objectives: The only "objectives" will be there to justify where the player is going, and help him figure out where he's supposed to go. They probably won't be text-based objectives either - it'll be a Medal of Honor style HUD radar. One problem I had with the original maps was that it was sometimes difficult to tell where to go.

- Intros: The only "Introduction" is going to be a little homage to the original Wolfenstein, assembled by Jallamann (complete with the original Host Wessel Lied in OGG format as the theme music). This will be done through ZDoom's TITLEMAP functionality and can be easily skipped by merely starting a new game.

- ZDoom Features: Most likely a new skybox will be added, and several BOOM and DEH hacks are going to be replaced with equivalent ZDoom features (like water, DECORATE, etc). With the benefit of DECORATE monsters, we can eliminate the need for a DEH patch, and even have the whole WAD file merged into one. We're also giving the weapons a complete overhaul, with reloading, iron-sights, melee attacks, and more realism in general (so, the MP-40 doesn't act like a rapid-fire super shotgun anymore, every weapon uses the correct ammo type, etc).

- Nazi Slaughter: Rather than pitting you against severely overpowered/overhealthed Nazis, they'll be weaker and more plentiful. So you can mow 'em down all you like.

- Laz's original maps: We might be replacing some sprite-based structures with 3D ones (like the German halftracks and tanks, the lamp posts, etc). A few maps may be merged together for functionality's sake, and the cheap hack effects are going to be replaced with real ZDoom features. Maybe a few more realistic things are going to be added as well, like mirrors in the bathrooms (if we can get them to work).

WildWeasel said:
- Nazi Slaughter: Rather than pitting you against severely overpowered/overhealthed Nazis, they'll be weaker and more plentiful. So you can mow 'em down all you like.

that's all I need to know. YEAH BOYEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

WildWeasel said:

Maybe a few more realistic things are going to be added as well, like mirrors in the bathrooms (if we can get them to work).

With ZDoom's software renderer many of these won't work. If you are willing to restrict yourself to GZDoom's hardware renderer it is possible because unlike ZDoom it discards anything lying behind the mirror and in these cases there is nothing in the way that might keep it from working.

With some tricks you might even be able to have them active only when hardware rendering is on (but that would screw up ZDoomGL.)

Hi MaDMaX here

I'm really going to injoy play this Artic wolf remake just like I injoyed play Cold As Hell

so heres some stuff that could be add in when making the Artic wolf remake

animated skyboxs
an intro and cutscennse
an objetive window so you can see your objectivs like in Cold As Hell
fog & falling snow
alot more frity of nazis
and a evil easy to kill boss
and really cool music to go along with the maps

so anywhy these are my feacher requseits
i hope you guys don't mind!!!!!!

madmax said:

Hi MaDMaX here

I'm really going to injoy play this Artic wolf remake just like I injoyed play Cold As Hell

so heres some stuff that could be add in when making the Artic wolf remake

- animated skyboxes
We'll be souping up the skyboxes entirely to take advantage of GZDoom's support for high-color skyboxes.

- an intro and cutscenes
The most "intro" we have right now is a short little nostalgia trip that Jallamann put together - I plan on putting together a "prelude" mission (like Laz did with the Wolfendoom Second Encounter pack) to serve as the game's introduction. There will be no cutscenes or anything that takes control away from the player.

- an objective window
Close - plans are to add a Medal of Honor-style objective compass so you can tell which way you're supposed to go.

- fog & falling snow
The resources and scripts for this are already complete, courtesy of Solarsnowfall, but they have yet to be implemented in the actual maps (they'll probably be done later after the detailing and enhancement phases).

- alot more frity of nazis
Nazis will have much less health than before, but there will be more of them (and more unique types of nazi as well, so they don't all start looking the same).

- and a evil easy to kill boss
All the enemies are getting serious makeovers in the interests of aesthetics and gameplay balance.

- and really cool music to go along with the maps
The team is working on some fitting music tracks to go along with the game - in the style of the Medal of Honor games and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I must give this thread a bump - because we need help. A lot of help.

Namely, mappers. We need all the mappers we can get.

If you intend on joining this project, it'll be helpful to know plenty about mapping for ZDoom-Hexen format maps. You must also be registered at the DRD Team forums; otherwise I won't be able to add you to the group.

If you want to join the project, just reply here.

The situation is getting desperate. We need mappers! I really hate to come off as a noob, but I'm serious! Even with people like Tormentor and Nmn on the team, we need more people to rework these maps.