Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ezxariarch

A few question about the doom damage system.

I was just curios about doom's damage works exactly. I know that the damage is a system based ona a 8 sided dice system; where the damage ranges from it's number times 1d8 (so 20 damage would deal a min of 20 damage and a max of 160 with, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, and 140 damage as possibilities in between). This is true of projectiles, but i'm not sure what the hit scans (bullet) attacks are. From what I can tell by experience it's a 1d5 dice dealing 3 as base (3 times 1d5). But i'm not sure since it's different for each port (EDGE uses a min/max damage and it can range from anywhere in between). Can someone fill me in on this?

Also, do projectiles do more damage if you run into them? Because i always tend to take 2x the damage by running head into a caco ball deals on average about 22 damage (can be up to 40). Is this possible or just some wierd coincidence? This same goes for all the fireballs that i've ran into on purpose to test this idea.

Also, I was wondering how the archvile damage works. Does it just transfer a 85 damage splash radius (with 64 unit in radius) under the player? The max damage i've taken from the arch vile was 85. This works differenctly in different ports too though. The damage doesn't effect the Archvile it self, though. I can stant right up to it and it wont take any damage, though other monsters near me would. Any ideas?

Higher Game said:

Actually, it does effect the archvile. If you wait long enough, the archvile can kill itself.

Yeah, probably the archvile has code that makes it act like the Cyberdemon (i.e., when you rocket a cyberdemon, it will never make him go into his painstate.) and it probably extends to splash damage.

Ezxariarch said:
Also, I was wondering how the archvile damage works. Does it just transfer a 85 damage splash radius (with 64 unit in radius) under the player?

It inflicts both direct impact damage and an additional area effect damage.

BBG said:
Yeah, probably the archvile has code that makes it act like the Cyberdemon (i.e., when you rocket a cyberdemon, it will never make him go into his painstate.) and it probably extends to splash damage.

Not sure what you're saying here, but the Cyberdemon is unaffected by rocket or barrel splash damage but otherwise takes rocket missile damage normally and can be in pain due to a rocket missile hit. The Arch-vile won't be attacked on purpose (tageted) by any monster, but is damaged by the area effect of Arch-vile flames.