Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stewboy

Where no mapper has gone before

I'm making a coop level, and just for fun I put the deathmatch part of it (about 15 sectors) 64 units from the red boundary. And I play it. Now, I realize you're not really supposed to do make it so close. But I did it just to see what would happen.
Well, funny things happened:
- I couldn't pick up things
- I could walk through the outer walls
- I could walk through some of the inner walls
- I could go up right against, and about 1/8th of the way through, but not all of the way through some other inner walls
- I couldn't push switches
- I couldn't shoot bots

I don't really need this fixed, I'm just wondering why this happens?

Apparently the coordinates are stored in "normal" ints, so when you move in areas outside the red line your Doom engine gets an overflow and fucks up teh calculations which then results in weird behaviour.

The BLOCKMAP information (which holds lines and objects which the game checks for collisions) can only handle maps upto a certain size. So the node builder will shrink the blockmap to a valid size, and anything outside doesn't work properly.

That red boundary only indicates the limit of the coordinates stored in the WAD file. I thought that was the only hard limit and that its safe to build anywhere within those limits, but I was wrong. Even if you build near the corners of the red boundary (but well within the boundaries) you will get problems due to internal math overflows like boris mentioned. Theres not much I can do about that. The boundaries should be smaller and are not really square, I figure.

stewboy said:

I'm making a coop level, and just for fun I put the deathmatch part of it (about 15 sectors) 64 units from the red boundary. And I play it. Now, I realize you're not really supposed to do make it so close. But I did it just to see what would happen.
Well, funny things happened:
- I couldn't pick up things
- I could walk through the outer walls
- I could walk through some of the inner walls
- I could go up right against, and about 1/8th of the way through, but not all of the way through some other inner walls
- I couldn't push switches
- I couldn't shoot bots

I don't really need this fixed, I'm just wondering why this happens?

try ultra sized levels(slige?). some areas near the red line show similar 'symptoms'