Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheDarkArchon

Revenant is a resurrected what now?

The Doom manual says that the Revenant is a resurrected demon butt it doesn't identify the species so what is it? Discuss.

I think it's the archvile since a) it can't be resurrected by normal means and b) the skeleton is physically similar

It can be any. I don't think id had a background for the character when creating it. They just had the model made because it was a cool monster. I don't think the manual was written by id anyway.

TheDarkArchon said:

resurrected demon butt

damnit, if archie ever came around that moment, impse would've lasted forever.

Well, it does have roughly the same size of the Baron of Hell. However, it doesn't have horns. Maybe its body is from the Baron and the head from the Imp?

I think it's like a Lich (D&D term) some big demon desided that he wanted to live forever and he installed life support and left his body to rot

Anyway everybody knows the real question is if it wears pants or not LOL!!!

RjY said:

Anyway everybody knows the real question is if it wears pants or not LOL!!!

The world just isn't ready for the answer. However we all know its blood dripping from his open digestive cavity.

No pants. Skeletons do not wear hotpants, but instead caked blood. And the Revenant is a clone of Shaq's corpse taken after the third war of the Triad left of the Shire. They took his corpse, cloned the DNA, killed the clones, resurrected them, and strapped on some armour. Simple.

I'll just take DooM3's word for it that the Revenant is a resurrected species of its kind, but has transparent skin with launchers slapped on its shoulders.

What about the archvile, the only monster that can't be ressurected by.. uh.. an archvile, and has a familiar shape with the Revenant. Still, meh, the Revenant IS just a generic demonic skeleton. At the end, all the monster (except bosses, zombies, nazis, and keens) are creations of the Icon of Sin, so the generic idea fits better than what the manual says. Still it would be cool to see skeleton versions of the diferent monsters (imps, demons, barons, cacos, mancubus, cyberdemons, spiders, and so on).

Phhht. It's pretty obvious if you just read the signs:

Revenants:
- are extremely tall.
Supermodels:
- are required to be at least 6 feet tall.

Revenants:
- are quick to bitch-slap anyone cocky enough to approach them.
Supermodels:
- ditto.

Revenants:
- live indefinitely.
Supermodels:
- defy human aging.

Revenants:
- can outrun an ostrich.
Supermodels:
- are in peak physical shape, and can probably outrun any of us.

Revenants:
- are equipped with dual surgically-implanted, heat-seeking rocket launchers.
Supermodels:
- are equipped with dual surgically-implanted, attention-seeking career launchers.

Revenants:
- have a bloody mess of carnage that oozes from their pelvis.
Supermodels:
- probably do too, but I don't want to know about it.

Revenants:
- consist almost entirely of bones, whose movement defies logical physical explanation.

I think my theory is settled, people. The only real question left is this: what can we do to protect ourselves from this brooding menace? Unfortunately, conventional means of genocide (mass starvation, introduced disease, etc.) don't seem to be options for dealing with the threat posed by immortal supermodels; I suggest everyone keep a loaded shotgun under their favorite pillow.

Here's the dictionary definition of revenant:

rev·e·nant Audio pronunciation of "revenant" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rv-nnt)
n.

1. One that returns after a lengthy absence.
2. One who returns after death.

When decided to wikipedia the term, it stated:

The term "revenant" can refer to:

* A ghost or a zombie
* Medieval revenants were believed to be corpses who returned to life
* A computer game under the same title
* One of the monsters featured in the computer game series Doom
* A heavy metal band
* A Star Wars spaceship under Lady Lumiya's command

Obviously, the id revenant is an undead creature, probably a human soul too evil to be confined to the status of Lost soul and thus "upgraded" and transformed into something more powerful. That's my guess.

The Arch-Vile is the only other known Demon species that resembles the skeletal structure of the Revenant, so maybe Revenants who have died or been killed are refabricated with combat gear/launchers by their religious followers to honor the dead ones who lived only to resurrect other demons.

Maybe it's like an honors system.

But why would the Arch-vile be demoted to a less powerful creature? He is Hell's medic, and so rare as to be irreplaceable.

Interestingly enough, the Baphomet thing can spawn Revenants, but not zombies or Lost souls.

Slink said:

Interestingly enough, the Baphomet thing can spawn Revenants, but not zombies or Lost souls.

Well that's because in order to spawn zombies and lost souls the Baphomet requires a supply of captured humans to undergo some conversion/processing.
And the Baphomet begins to lack this supply of fresh victims after map12, when all humans evacuate the planet leaving the green marine all by himself.