Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Why Doom, of all games?

Why do you suppose Doom has gotten the reaction from the gaming community that it has? I haven't exactly done much research, but am I wrong in saying that Doom has the largest collection of user made add-ons and mods of any FPS game, period? How come no other shooter has had this kind of response? It's easy for us fans to say "Because Doom kicks ass," but in reality, there have been other shooters that were very good as well, like Blood, Shadow Warrior, the first two Quakes (I don't really count Q3A as it's a multiplayer game), etc. But it's Doom that has developed the biggest online community. Discuss why you think this is.

Probably the "first impression" factor. Plus the current generation of gamers our age all grew up around DOOM. That, and DOOM was so revolutionary, and it is so classic. It is the closest thing to a perfect game, because it is so addictive, customizable (including enhanching the engine, which means new ground to break), simple enough for just about anybody to edit...the list goes on.

DOOM is the single greatest game of all-time. StarCraft is also incredible, but DOOM kind of out-shines SC.

Because Doom was the first that was truly recieved by a "community". We've had plastics and metal-combines for years, but people are still sculpting things from stone, same idea.

Mostly because Doom is customizable.

I have always wondered if, had Mechwarrior 2 been mod-able, would it still have a significant fan base? Hell, would we see more combat sim type games and less FPS?

I agree with the above, but also because doom is really outdated. none of the newer games are dying for a face lift. And I think the other reason is cause everybody has a different interpretaion of what the creatures and maps should look like. I will make mine in clay, but it's fun to play with new idea's.

Doom is the all be all holy grail of FPS's

My theory is that DooM was revolutionary, without DooM modern FPS' would be a joke. And like people have said, we grew up around it, and it is so easily customizable (although i can't make a map for crap :))

Because

1. Execution of introductory action is well done - start kick ass within the first 3 seconds immediately

2. The .wad format is rather open and not-encrypted/compressed, allowing editors to easily access the stuff in it

3. it's fun

4. bfg

5. bfg

6. bfg

7. bfg

8. super shotgun

9. super shotgun

10. super shotgun

11. super shotgun

12. super shotgun

Kaiser said:

Because everything else sucks.

Sadly, that seems to be the case. A while back, I always had to get all the newfangle stuff, then kept finding it to be less and less as good as the oldfangle. Eventually I said "newfangle is shit, I'm now an oldschooler" and that was that.

I find it sad how much better Mega Man 3 is than Mega Man X6-8. Heh.

Heh, it's because it's the game I grew up with. I remember watching my dad play the game (God bless him and the other soldiers in Iraq) and thinking "One day I'm gonna be just as good as him at this game".

-_DLD_- said:

Sadly, that seems to be the case. A while back, I always had to get all the newfangle stuff, then kept finding it to be less and less as good as the oldfangle. Eventually I said "newfangle is shit, I'm now an oldschooler" and that was that.

I find it sad how much better Mega Man 3 is than Mega Man X6-8. Heh.

I have yet to play all of those new Megaman X games. (X4+) I'm stumped as to why they abandoned the awesome classic series in favor of that Pokemon-assed, turn-based turdpatty shit they're churning out now...other than its marketability. (the same reason kids will buy a bunch of fucking tops if some shitass, 10 fps, we-can't-draw-anything-without-cheesy-anime-influence cartoon makes it look interesting.)

I still say Megaman 8 is the best. And Doom's non-linier gameplay helps it a lot (I'm talking to YOU, Doom 3!)

When I first got Doom I was around 6, and it was Final Doom. Not a good way to start, but I did. The landowner of my apartment was an ID fan, so he let me borrow Doom, Doom II and Quake (Quake was in floppy-format and gave me a virus, btw.) I'm not really too "old-school," as I'm only 16. When I was 12, I got back into Doom when my friend had it on his computer for awhile. Ever since I've been addicted to it.

I'm not sure why I still play it. I think it would be partly from nostalgia, mostly for the DB Shotty. It's also because of the source ports: I might not play it as much if I couldn't autorun and mouselook.

The main reason Doom was so awesome for me was the coop. I don't think I ever even beat the game in single player without god mode and all the weapons; I never saw a reason to because I could always grab my brother or a friend and play on the LAN.

Doom has a special kind of gameplay, theme and feeling that I like and you dont find in many other games. Especially not in modern games.

Modern games all use models, skins and textures, they push the limits of the hardware to create nice graphics and I dont blame them because it certainly does look nice, but you dont see a horde of 40 imps coming at you anymore, simply because the game is already pushing the limits with 2 monsters, 40 would just drop the framerate to 0.2 FPS. Those massive hordes of monsters that you could slaughter like a madman is a lovely thing. Painkiller came close on this, but its not Doom, especially not the same theme as Doom, which brings me to my second reason;

The design of the monsters and enviroment in Doom is quite unique. I dont like Doom 64 nor do I like the designs of Doom 3, they just are much too different from the original. Also Doom gives a real hell feeling, but I must say I had that good "damn, im actually in hell, blood and gore is everywhere" feeling with Doom 3 as well.

My 2 reasons why Doom.

Yeah, Doom was king back in it's day. But now a days, I gotta give it to Half Life. I've been playing hl2 deathmatch for months, and there's an endless amount of user made maps to play on. It's unbelieveable. Not sure when hl2 came out, but the multiplayer is very much alive and well. There's hundreds and hundres of servers, with a good latency on top of that. At the very least hl2 has a bigger community that's for sure!

Why do new games sacrifice fun for realism? I love how fast the doom guy runs, and the auto-aim, the atmosphere, the hordes of monsters, and most importantly, the easy to learn/lifetime to master skillitude.

I'm not sure. I think it's because of a slight scare factor. It's not "wet your pants" scary but "Whoa what was that" scary.

Also the moddability. Some of the levels I've seen people make is an accomplishable feat with the Doom engine, and it shows that even though the game is 12 years old, it isn't ready to kick the bucket.

What other games give you huge amounts of demons and sci fi weaponry? And a fucking chainsaw.

And the balance between weapons / enemies is superb. Doom's gameplay is simple but rewarding and most importantly, fun.

Yeah, the main reason is deffinetly the fact that it was the first that dynamic game and the first fps that great. Guys who started playing games let's say 3 years ago won't ever understand this. For people who knows doom from the beginning, i'll always be first and the last. Simply.