Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
-_DLD_-

The Official DOOMWorld Hockey Thread!

Heh, I'm surprised it took me over 560 posts to create a thread about Hockey, being a Canadian and all.

If enough of you guys do like it, then perhaps we can turn this into the Offical DOOMWorld NHL Thread of 05-06.

Anyway, I believe the Sens are going to win the Cup this year. I mean, why not? They've got a +63 goal margin, the best in the league (115 for, 52 against, also NHL-best), they're 21-4-0 (42 Points), also 1st in the league, and they've got games in hand on every team!

They're also a strong 2-line team in every way. Two solid D pairs, and their top line is 1-3-4 in league scoring, plus they've got the best one-two punch in net. The scary part? They've got cap room. They're currently on a pace to have the greatest season in NHL history.

With these kinds of credentials, it'll be a shock of Ottawa doesn't win the Stanley Cup this year. Even a major injury or two won't slow them down much.

I don't follow sports or sport teams, but I do love watching hockey. It's one of the few sports I actually have interest in (the others being boxing and gymnastics). It's one of the plus's to attending DU, too.

Even though I too yield from Canada-Land, I am not into hockey, myself.

A few years back, in 2003, I believe it was, I was sorta into the whole last part of the playoffs dee-lee since my friend was. He cheered for a team, so I did too. :D I know a few player names here and there and a few jokes about my province's team, but that's about it. :D

I’m not too shabby at curling, though. :D

Hockey is the only one of the major three that actually entertains me. That isn't saying much, though. Even so, golf wins.

-_DLD_- said:

Interesting. I'm a diehard Avalanche fan myself. Hockey is the best sport out there, IMO.

Our family is too.

I don't really like hockey, since when my dad watches it he gets so goddamn mad at it...yelling at a TV won't do anything. It keeps me locked up in my room in fear. :(

I can get into hockey around the playoffs's and some college football around the holidays. but im not into all that sports clothing/colored hats and nylon rain/winter wear that i see some guys over indulge in.

Is the NHL releasing their players for the Winter Olympics this time around also? Last time was awesome even though Sweden threw away their chance in one of the worst games of all time :(

EDIT: Looks like they're going. Yay!

-_DLD_- said:

Interesting. I'm a diehard Avalanche fan myself./B]

Yeah! The Avalanche are definitely my favorite team, seeing I live in Colorado and all. I remember they were pretty good not long ago...then I stopped hearing things about them.

We have a coworker who's a Red Wings fan (who's from Detroit, actually), and we always give him a hard time during hockey season.

david_a said: Last time was awesome even though Sweden threw away their chance in one of the worst games of all time :(

Oh, hell no. I had just forgotten about that disgraceful display of criminally nonchalant playing, when you reminded me. :-(((

Kristian Ronge said:

Oh, hell no. I had just forgotten about that disgraceful display of criminally nonchalant playing, when you reminded me. :-(((

It was indeed criminal... Just try to think of the opening match against Canada instead.

Hopefully we'll do better this time, and if we lose, PLEASE don't let it have anything to do with a jumping goalie. *sigh*

Heh, Canada should ruin everybody again. Sid the Kid is damn good for his age, and they've got killer vets like Sakic and Blake, plus moderately young/old guys like Kariya, Tanguay, Thorton, St.Louis, Heatley, Spezza, Marleau, etc. And Brodeur is an excellent goalie, perhaps the most consistant of all-time. Canada could easily nuke everyone else again.

And good job with giving the Wings fans heck. They deserve it. I love gloating to Vancouver fans (I work in Vancouver) whenever they lose to Colorado. One more win for the Avs means we're better than the Canucks head-to-head this year! Huzzah!

wait... NATIONAL hockey league?

wait just a minute.

no offense but I find it hilarious when a southern team beats a northern one. :P

Csonicgo said:

no offense but I find it hilarious when a southern team beats a northern one. :P

rofl

A team may represent some yokel southern city, but it is mainly comprised of canadians, russians and assorted eastern and northern europeans. The best players from the states themselves are almost 99% certain to come from the north as well.

A quick look at NHL rosters gives a good read on the numbers on where US born players disproportionately hail from.

New York - 19
Minnesota - 19
Massachusetts - 16
Michigan - 15
Connecticut - 5
California - 5
Illinois - 4
Indiana - 3
Ohio - 3
Pennsylvania - 2
New Hampshire - 2
New Jersey - 2
Vermont - 2
Alaska - 1
Delaware - 1
Wisconsin - 1
Maryland - 1
Iowa - 1
North Dakota - 1
Colorado - 1
Rhode Island - 1
Virginia - 1
Texas - 1
Nebraska - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Florida - 1

-_DLD_- said:

Hockey is the best sport out there, IMO.

DLD, I like the way you think.

I'm from the US, Arizona even. I live in the state closest to hell and I love hockey, it's an amazing sport.

At least we have Gretsky.

It's spelt "Gretzky". When I was in the Hockey Hall of Fame once, I saw one Gretzky jersey with his name spelt "Greztky" or something. I can dig up the photo...I'm like, 16 in it though.

And yes, you're right about the Canadian thing. While we've got 24 yank teams, the league is still mostly Canadian. Let's look at some Captains.

Colorado: Joe Sakic, Canadian.
Detroit: Steve Yzerman, Canadian. (both are from British Columba, where I'm from)
Calgary: Jerome Iginla, Canadian.
Edmonton: Jason Smith, Canadian.
Colombus: Adam Foote, Canadian.
Phoenix: Shane Doan, Canadian.
Tampa Bay: Dave Andrychuck, Canadian.
San Jose: Patrick Marleau, Canadian.
Philly: Keith Primeau, Canadian.
Pittsburgh: Super Mario, Canadian.

And I'm pretty sure there are quite a few more.

Oh, and Ralphis, despite having Foppa sell out to them, Philly < Ottawa.

-_DLD_- said:

Heh, I'm surprised it took me over 560 posts to create a thread about Hockey

Wow, over 560 posts in less than 2 months. That's quite an accomplishment..

MOO, damn eskimos are taking over the forum
go outside on your bobsleds already
Even if I'm a nuk myself I don't flaunt it like a fag on parade
All this pro-Canadia stuff is getting out of hand

Oh man, so this is how it feels to speak your mind AND spam at the same time.

Csonicgo said:

MOO, damn eskimos are taking over the forum
go outside on your bobsleds already
Even if I'm a nuk myself I don't flaunt it like a fag on parade
All this pro-Canadia stuff is getting out of hand

Oh man, so this is how it feels to speak your mind AND spam at the same time.

plz dont jerk off onto the messageboard.

also my friend is a diehard hockeyfan. i dont mind hockey and it is a sport that can be fun to watch but i just tell him it isnt a real sport to piss him off.

david_a said:
It was indeed criminal... Just try to think of the opening match against Canada instead.

Yup, or better yet, the semifinal against Finland in the WC 2003 (1-5 to 6-5). :-)

-_DLD_- said:

I love gloating to Vancouver fans (I work in Vancouver) whenever they lose to Colorado. One more win for the Avs means we're better than the Canucks head-to-head this year! Huzzah!

I should claw your fucking eyes out. Cheer for the Canucks, otherwise move to Toronto and butt fuck Tie Domi you spamming faggot.

POTGIESSER said:

I should claw your fucking eyes out. Cheer for the Canucks, otherwise move to Toronto and butt fuck Tie Domi you spamming faggot.