Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ezxariarch

How do i place secret areas with Zdoom Hexen format?

How do i place secret areas with Zdoom Hexen format? I cant seem to find the secret tag for the sector or the linedef. Is secrets NOT allowed in Zdoom when in Hexen Format.

I'm currently making my next episode with Hexen format, and I must say, it's a pain in the ass. You have to specify everything and all the numbers of the line action tags and sector defs have been changed. I cant even teleport to a sector anymore, instead i gotta put a stinking map spot.

You had to put a teleport destination thing in the destination sector in the original Doom format anyways...

As for your other question, a sector being secret isn't a specific type anymore, it is a generalized effect. If your editor doesn't give you any clue how to make a sector secret in ZDoomHexen mode, just make the sector special 1024. Or if it already has a special number, add 1024 to that number.

thaanks. Lemme try if this works. Though..i probably wont use that may secrets in this new episode. The first episode had like 6 secrects per map and it's just too much.

Ezxariarch said:

I cant even teleport to a sector anymore, instead i gotta put a stinking map spot.

Of course you can do teleports the old-fashioned style. The teleport special has the following syntax in ZDoom:

Teleport(tid, tag)

If tid is not 0 and tag is 0 it will teleport to the teleport destination with the specified tid and if there are more than one pick one randomly.

If tid is not 0 and tag is not 0 it will teleport to the teleport destination with the specified tid in a sector with the specified tag and if there are more than one pick one randomly.

And last and most importantly, if tid is 0 and tag not 0 it will use Doom's original teleporting algorithm.

And don't use mapspots for teleporting. If you do you will severely cripple the functionality. Use the teleport destination thing - as Doom always did!

Doom Building only lets me edit the TID, there is no argument field for the tag. o_o....But i'l change the mapspots to teledestinations.

Ezxariarch said:

Doom Building only lets me edit the TID, there is no argument field for the tag. o_o....But i'l change the mapspots to teledestinations.

Tag is the sector's tag. You use it the exact same way as teleporters in Doom format: Give the sector a tag of 10, place a teleport destination in it and use a Teleport(0, 10) special on the teleporting line.

Ezxariarch said:

You have to specify everything

But that's the real bonus of the system. No longer are you tied to fixed door or platform speeds, standard wait times between actions, or certain actions being tied to specific line activation types etc etc because you can set them all exactly how you want.

I don't know how your editor does it but when you set up a line type, DeePSea puts in default values (I think the values are the same as Doom defaults) and allows you the opportunity to edit them should you require to do so. So, setting up line actions is only a click or so's more work then the original system but with huge benefits in flexibility.

IS ther a away to make the quick doors? Lke thos in Doom 2 format? Or does ths sound of the door change automatically after a certain amount of speed?

Ezxariarch said:

Or does ths sound of the door change automatically after a certain amount of speed?

Yes, it does. Just use a speed value of 64 for standard fast doors.

ALright thanks a bunch.

I have a question, for you Graf Zahl, since you're the guy that made the weapons decorate addons for Zdoom. I'm completely new to decorate as well and i keep getting this error "Line 85: "actor" is an unknown actor property". I dont know why i'm getting this, but i copied and pasted the actor from the Weapons Resource Wad the actor and just renamed it (it's a rocket smoke trail type thing). Do I need to put PROJECTILE as a parameter? or what am I missing? Here's the decorate for that puff.

ACTOR Firetrail
{
Radius 3
Height 3
Speed 1
Scale 0.8
+NOGRAVITY
RenderStyle ADD
PROJECTILE
Alpha 0.90
States
{
Spawn:
WBAL FGHIJ 2 BRIGHT (i think i can set the frames like this?)
Stop
}
}

Check for any unclosed brackets (?) in the actor definition before that one. (I don't know/can't remember the proper term for '{' things.)

chopkinsca said:

Check for any unclosed brackets (?) in the actor definition before that one. (I don't know/can't remember the proper term for '{' things.)

They are called 'braces'. And yes, the error means most likely that the closing brace in the previous actor definition is missing.

Hey, Graf, is there a way to make a projectile have a bouncing sound? A bunch of Hexen projectiles have it. EDGE add the "ACTIVE" sound and a bounce state. Is there such a state for Decorate? I wanted to make a weapon that's similar to the Heretic mace.

Graf Zahl said:

ZDoom uses the SeeSound for bouncing because Hexen did that (yes, I know it's not a good way to do it.)

When I do that, the missile makes that sound when I fire it. Also, it dies when it hits the floor but continues to bounce using the death frame until it runs out. O_o

Also. Is there a way to put a fuse on an actor? In EDGE, there is a parameter called FUSE and you set it in tics to dictate how long the thing would stay in the game before dying. Is there such a command for decorate?

Not specifically, though you could make your spawn state last X tics before a "goto death" line.

e.g

Spawn:
   GREN ABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEF 2 // This is 4 seconds
Goto Death
Death:
 blah...
Not the neatest way of doing things but it gets the job done

Thanks. I got it working. Too bad my spritit weapon does spawn projectiles that continues to seek out targets like the Wraithverge. Cant see to get that.
===================================================================
I have another question. How do ripper attacks work anyway? I have this weapon that explodes and releases 6 rippers. The Projectile does 8d8 damage and does 32 splash damage up to 64 units in radius. The Rippers to 5 strife (1d4) damage. Somhow, I damaged to kill the cyber demon in 20 shots. The rippers seems to be doing most o the damage. Even when I turned the rippers down to 2 damage, it stills kills it **********ly fast. Does the ripper do infinite damage as long as it's within the radius of the target?