Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Silent Hill movie teaser!

I don't have high hopes for the film, but that was as good of a teaser as ever I've seen.

I still remember those horrible clanking noises from the original playstation demo, and god damn if they don't hit the 'freak out' buttons.

I never knew they were making a movie of this. :D

I played the game back in the day and it was a spooky one, though I can't remember much of the story, I just remember running around town. :D

I'm not much of a spooky movie person, but being based off a game I know of interests me. :D

frm the trailer i thought it would be cg. but i checked details and its live action....oh well, at least one of my fave actors sean bean is in it.

Ralphis said:

http://www.thelovens.co.uk/paracam/sh_tease.wmv

Well, for the short little clips it looks as though it's captured the feel of the game more than any other video game movie I've seen thus far.

Of course, I hope to see more but at the same time hope to see nothing.

Is anyone else excited about this movie?

IMO the whole "follow the lead rat" mentality of hollywoood lately, in which they copy the latest trend(mostly badly), to be nothing more than money grubbing execs out to make a quick buck off of two markets.....movie and game fans.

Most times the movies are half baked with lame/corny acting or the like, not true to the original "plot" of the game/comic/etc, or combinations of both or other flaws.

Resident evil apocalypse looked nice, and I even got a few laughs from it....and that whole gross out from the school children scene with the reporter. But then you have films like House of the Dead, which basically ripped apart the whole "origin" of the mad doctor from the films into some bloody(english phrase, not as in gory) romp through some jungle and a few ramshackle huts......which made even the original game in japanese look better to experience by comparison.

Oh, and doom:the movie, while good in some aspects(like with the 1st person POV scenes and some good actors)......it failed in more stuff, like containing most of the film in some small corridors(where monsters could be seen coming at the soldiers quite easily in most cases), or calling the demons "mutants" because of some virus instead of making them hellspawn and having the walls foam/gush/drip/splatter blood.

A shark tank of fake blood wouldn't be enough for a true doom telling, IMO.

The teaser looks promising but the movie will surely be crap since it's made in the US. After seeing the hospital part of One Missed Call (excellent movie BTW), my friends and I thought it would have been great if the movie was made by Takashi Miike.

Ralphis said:

Is anyone else excited about this movie?

I am excited about the concept of a silent hill movie, yes. Any of the games has enough story to fill a movie without the need for dumb additions and changes. But I doubt filmmakers will avoid screwing it up nonetheless. Having hopes for movies is becoming exhausting so I think I'll just avoid noticing this one too much until it's in theatres.

Here's one problem though. Can we even hope that the movie will follow the same style as the game? There's only one scene in SH1 where something "jumps out" at you to scare you. Otherwise the game does not rely on cheap tricks and gore. It's just genuinely eerie and creepy to an overwhelming degree. What are the chanes this will be translated to the big screen?

Darkstalker said:

The teaser looks promising but the movie will surely be crap since it's made in the US.

What kind of bullshit reasoning is this? Remember, movies can be "made in the US" and not "made in hollywood", and real stinkers can come out of other countries that don't even have a hollywood equivilent.

It should be noted that the major sources of inspiration for silent hill were "american". Most notably the film Jacob's Ladder.

Mancubus II said:

What kind of bullshit reasoning is this? Remember, movies can be "made in the US" and not "made in hollywood", and real stinkers can come out of other countries that don't even have a hollywood equivilent.

I'm refering mostly to game remade to theater and other horror/action movies. I'm not saying every US movie sucks but many recent movies that I've seen from the states are just cheap scares and/or big guns and a few lines of story. I've seen too many of the "sorry your flashlight is out of batteries so you die kthxbye" or the "Oh there's nothing here" line so you're sure to die in the next 5 secs. I'm tired of predicting events before they happen.

I'm aware that other countries make bad movies but they also make excellent ones and we barely ever hear about them. In my case if I want to see movies from other countries, it's in a cheap underground theater. I have to say that some of the movies that I've seen there were much better than what I've seen in any Famous Players/Cineplex/whatever.

Beside a few exceptions, I think most american made movies are crap but that's just my opinion. Maybe this movie will be good but I'm just tired of raising my hope for nothing.

Darkstalker said:

I'm aware that other countries make bad movies but they also make excellent ones and we barely ever hear about them.

And you don't think thats the case here as well?

Skeletor said:

frm the trailer i thought it would be cg. but i checked details and its live action....oh well, at least one of my fave actors sean bean is in it.

Mr. Bean is in this movie?

Amaster said:

It should be noted that the major sources of inspiration for silent hill were "american". Most notably the film Jacob's Ladder.

Yeah. Also, I think the SH style of horror is similar in some respects to the Japanese style which has become pretty popular in the past years. That gives me a little confidence in saying that this movie may not end up a total flop. It works in a Hollywood style while staying true to the game.

Maybe I'll enjoy the movie slightly more just because I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games (perhaps an unusual admission... nor any Tomb Raider games) and have no previous connection to them.

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Mr. Bean is in this movie?

That's Rowin Atkinson. He plays the Mr. Bean.

You'd really like his stuff if you've seen any of Black Addar.

mallis said:

I don't have high hopes for the film, but that was as good of a teaser as ever I've seen.

Even if it follows the typical "hay let's flash lots of clipped scenes to a high beat track" way of teasers, that's the best teaser I've seen in a while.

Darkstalker said:

The teaser looks promising but the movie will surely be crap since it's made in the US. After seeing the hospital part of One Missed Call (excellent movie BTW), my friends and I thought it would have been great if the movie was made by Takashi Miike.

I don't know if I'm helping your arguement, but the director is actually from france and I believe it's being filmed in Cananda...

I'm looking forward to it... I've been a huge fan since the first one came out (except for the "room" which I despise with all my heart and soul), and so far they seem to be keeping true to a lot of the games elements, while creating a slightly different story which is somewhat based on the first game. My only qualm is that Avary is writing it...

For anyone who's interested I took a screencap of Pyramid Head to share with http://silenthillforum.com :

http://www.deviantart.com/view/26102096/

-_DLD_- said:

That's Rowin Atkinson. He plays the Mr. Bean.

You'd really like his stuff if you've seen any of Black Addar.

That's what I meant by Mr. Bean.

Looks like fun. :) Well, as much fun as a movie about a total lack of hope and nothing but despair in a darkened relm of evil.

...also reminds me that I really should polish off the fourth chapter of Silent Hell and post it... ^^;

Amaster said:

I see no resemblence between the two.

I cant wait too see this movie tho :D

Sean Bean was Boromir in The Lord of the Rings. I too think this will be the best film adaptation of a video game.

Ralphis said:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/silenthill.html;_ylt=Asl4ivMa0PJq8_A68MAscaVfVXcA

Here is the official trailer.

Also now official, this will be the best video game based movie. EVER.

Except for DooM right? Right?!

:D

I am quite pleased. The nurses look great, PH seems to have left his apron at the barbecue, but not a big deal. I'm glad they decided to do an "interpretation" of the first one rather than the other titles. The elements in the first one were just the best; the snow, the Otherworld (darkness), sirens, etc. The patients look great How they walk, the special effects, very on point. Color is a bit off but otherwise excellently done. Eat your heart out Stan Winston studios.

I just hope that the "Mark of Samael (read: Seal of Metatron) is in the film.

I'm looking forward to this one.

I hope it dosnt turn out to be a typical monster moive.

Yes the Silent Hill games do have monsters in them. But, the scary thing about the games was the atmosphere not the monsters. The way the town looked, all the fog and sounds gave the game a fealing dread.

Kind of like when you were a kid and you stayed in a house with a basement. Just looking down the stares into the basement made you uneasy. You knew that there were no monsters down there waiting for you but it still freaked you out.

If they can pull of a true fealing of dread and throw some monsters and gore in it might turn out to be a great moive. Even if the acting sucks.