Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janderson

Stories of skill, luck and ignorance

I made this topic so we could share our finest, bravest and most embarassing moments when fighting demon or human in the world of Doom3.

Today in multiplayer I went toe to toe with some guy, everyone else was fighting elsewhere It was a showdown between me, the rusty amature, fighting his first returning match after a month or three of cold turkey vs a pro, honing his skills since the day he bought D3, ready to fry some noob (probably).

I was chased into the rocket launcher room of the Alpha(?Delta?) Labs, with only 25 health, to find my nemesis had already beaten me to the rocket spawn point. I deftly side stepped his rockets feeling my persuer would enjoy them more then I ever would. And then there were two.

My nemesis had obviously been waiting at the spawn point forever so I used his reload time to snatch up the shotgun from my persuer's evapourated corpse. And tried to down him at a distance rather than close the distance to his rockets. He was as nimble as I so there we were, dancing backward and forward around the partition, bounding forward when I could and retreating when it started getting hot.

We did this for what seemed like an eternity. Both of us locked in matrix like combat as we shifted from brute weapons to the machineguns. I, spraying the opposite wall with chaingun bullets and he, waving his machinegun around like a lightsaber, trying to cut me up. He didn't though, my fast paced dodging was too much for him. And his for me. Of course I was moving so eratically my shots were flying all over the shop.

You are a lucky man, thinks I as I reached for my pistol, but I am a dead shot with this baby. He too had run out of clips and was readying his pistol. In all modesty I have never met a noob or pro to match my Pistol while Dodging skill, so I laid into the moving target hitting chest and head, it was a matter of time...

Then the Rocket Launcher spawned.

In horror I witnessed the rocket zooming towards my future position. Whether misfired or skill I don't know, but it hit me. Doing 0 damage. I sprinted for the aclove on my left and holed up in there so I could type 'wtf' 'invincible???' while that heartless fiend caried on maiming me, or trying to. It must have been a glitch or a hidden code I hit while dodging or something. Whatever, he would pay.

As he unloaded his rockets on my immortal shell, I flung a grenade in his direction. He simply said 'hacks' and signed off and my grenade exploded next to me. Hurting me.. Next thing I know a godly voice says: You Lose. Then I beheld red team's victory on the score table. I thought we were playing deathmatch :(

Maybe you guys will present your stories, if you can be bothered, with a little less dramatization :P

When I first started playing Doom 3, I kept falling into the piston trap before the shotgun...

I don't remember exactly where this was, but on part of it you had to jump on these 3 machines with moving parts to get to this ledge, took me so long to get. I forgot if there was another way to do that.

ROFL I love doom 3, cause most of the time everyone sucks on it. Its so funny to play noobs and punch them and steal all there stuff. They have no idea whats going on. Me and my friend make a server and dumb people join and we just mess with them. My name on doom3 is gibaholic and my friend's is penis slapper.

I didn't play Doom 3 multiplayer for very long before growing bored with the low framerates (and low excitement, for that matter). Still, on the Edge remake, I amused myself a bit by rolling the barrel in the RL room down in front of the doorway and waiting until somebody tried to pass by jumping over it, immediately helping them realize their error by blowing up the barrel from my dark corner.

Sometimes I feel that I'm just a little bit shy of becoming a full-blown lamer and getting my kicks by irritating others. At least I wouldn't be on the losing end very often (CS:S reeeaaalllly annoyed me, at times).

D3 multiplayer isnt as fast paced as quakeworld or quake 3 or doom2 but I enjoy its mp alot, its kinda unique and most servers have a 4 player limit so I dont get spawn raped every 5 seconds.

I would enjoy doom 3 or quake 3 multi if it wasn't so god damn laggy. It's a damn shame that the fucking inventors of deathmatch can't provide a good code or whatever for online play. That's the reason why I'm hooked to hl2 deathmatch, because the latency is just superior.

What the Fuck? How can you say Quake 3 has bad netcode? It has argubaly the most honed netcode of any online game. Doom 3 sure, is a little laggy sometimes due to physics calculations, but I'd like to point out that HL2 has that same thing to deal with.

No way is HL2 DM less laggy overall than Quake 3, you're talkiung bullshit.

No, I'm not. From my experiences with hl2 deathmatch, the lag is non existent. Of course there are servers with high ping, but there are also plenty of servers with low ping that I play on. With quake 3, back when I used to play it, sucked.

Well, Doom 3 wasn't any better in terms of lag than quake 3 was for me. And quake 4, I wouldn't play it if it was one hundred percent lag free because the player models are so damn corny.