Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mechasam

BMW Z3 or Doom3?

Oh yes, John Carmack makes it so easy to buy Doom3. He makes it sound like everyone owns a successful gaming company like ID Software. I can just picture him saying, "Oh it's not that expensive, you just need GeForce 3, 1gb free hd space, a few other thousands of dollars just to bob the gun up and down, and a 100000000 ghz computer. Trust me, it's not that much!"

If Doom3 came out in six years, maybe then I could afford it 'cause the default computers then will have geforce3 and all that other shit.

Damn, just call it Doom III Arena

as much as your post has nothing to do with the title you gave it...I would go with the BMW, sell it, then buy a brand new computer along with Doom 3

I'll take the car. Then I'll install a Doom-3-capable computer in the car so I can play it when I'm not driving. When it's not playing D3, the computer would play my MP3s, handle the state-of-the-art auto-navigation system, and control the 1.73 gigawatt security system.

Go ahead... kick the tires! >:)

Those who ignore the past are condemned (doomed?) to repeat it.

When Doom came out in 1993, people thought that requiring a 386 wasn't too much. When Quake came out in 1996, people thought that requiring a Pentium 60 wasn't too much. And so it goes.

By the time the new Doom comes out, requiring an original GeForce (note that you only need a GF3 or Radeon 8500 for maximum detail, not necessarily to play well) as well as a good P3 or older Athlon chip won't seem like an excessive requirement, although it won't be modest. Do you want game visuals that are as much a jump as Doom (or Quake, you could say) was? Be prepared for it! If you're stingy, wait until Doom is on the verge of release and then buy your new parts.

You have to consider that there are different types of game companies-- indeed, really, each game company is unique. Game development, despite all the technical stuff, and indeed sometimes because of it, is really and art. And like all artists, ID as a software company has it's own style, it's own set of principles and goals. They have to stay true to those goals, or it's really rather pointless for them to exist-- they'd be just a generic software company. The direction ID seems to be trying to go in is to pull these hitherto unseen photo-realistic images out in real time, and make a new kind of immersive experience.

Unfortunately, this vision leaves most of us behind, but we all have to recognize that this is a good, amazing direction of ID software to be taking. The technology is going to be the new mainstay, and this company is doing the research that will make it possible for all the other companies to increase their level of visual quality (eventually). It's a good thing for the industry, even if we, on a person by person basis, can't directly benifit from it on the day the game is actually released.

Actually this giantic step in rendering pipelines is much needed in the PC gaming area. Take a look at the games for the X-box and the Gamecube. They easily surpass the average graphic on PC.

Why is this? Simple, working with a locked enviroment where you have one hell of a video card or GPU allows you to aim to some incredible graphics. While this is easily posible in a PC, and you can even go beyond that standard thanks to PC's flexibility when it comes to architecture, sadly the economy rules us all. People with P2 and TNT cards can't be forgotten from the customer's list, forcing companies to either make moderated graphics or an incredible array of customization.

When id releases a game one thing is for sure : People upgrade. The release of this game won't only mean the Next Best Thing in Graphics, but the bar we'll use to measure each game after.