Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Best game 2005

In reply to Agent Spork, no, I don't really play any other genre of games. I do have other types of games, but FPS is by far my fav type to play. Don't get me wrong, there are some garbage fps games out there.

WildWeasel said:

I'm seriously torn here on choosing just a single candidate, so I'll sort these by category...

Best Adventure: Indigo Prophecy (hard to beat since there weren't any other good adventure games released this year)
Best PC FPS: Serious Sam 2
Best Console FPS: Timesplitters Future Perfect
Best Stealth Game: Well, I haven't played MGS3 yet, but I'm sure it's awesome - so to make up for it, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.
Best RPG: Dragon Quest VIII
Best Graphics: No candidates because my computer sucks and can't run anything that looks good.
Best Sound: Sadly, nothing really sounded very good this year - but Call of Duty 2 was the cream of the crap. I hate this trend of making games absurdly quiet with really loud gun sounds (like all the Tom Clancy games, and Deus Ex 2). I also hate it when developers use extremely tinny gunfire, or sounds that are far too weak for their respective weapons (Brothers in Arms, I'm looking at you).

Which is how most of those guns actually sound, weasel :p I know you like to complain about how realistic things may or may not sound, but the reality is, only cannons and shotguns actually have any real...punch to their sounds. Have you ever heard what an SMG sounds like? When fired in full-auto, they sound very high-pitched compared to waht you may hear in a movie.

Best FPS: Far Cry Instincts
Best RPG: I've already cast my vote...and until Oblivion comes out, Morrowind is still #1.
Best Stealth: I don't play 'em. They piss me off.
Best Graphics: FEAR
Best Sound: Far Cry Instincts
Best Adventure:...scratch that genre, too...
Best Rehash: Dynasty Warriors 5. Bitch all you might, but you cannot deny the quality of a game with tight controls and properly balanced gameplay. Too bad it took 5 iterations to do it. With a crapload of expansions.

You know, I haven't played any game released this year, let alone have I even found any game released this year the least bit interesting. Way to go gaming industry, you manufactured a load of crap.

Oh wait, I have played Mario DDR, but that's mostly for health reasons.

pilottobombadier said:

only cannons and shotguns actually have any real...punch to their sounds.

Which makes guns like, say, Doom 3's shotgun particularly underwhelming. You know your sounds have volume balance issues when the sound of bullets impacting against metal is drowning out your shotgun blast. Another thing that bugged me about Doom 3's soundscape was the fact that, despite the enemies carrying the exact same weapons as you, theirs sound much more powerful than yours.

And from my citation of Brothers In Arms: Pick up a Kar98K from one of the Nazis. It sounds like a freaking fun-snap compared to the Colt 1911.

I don't think I've played any other new games this year than Q4 and Fear. And Q4 was way better than Fear.

WildWeasel said:

Which makes guns like, say, Doom 3's shotgun particularly underwhelming. You know your sounds have volume balance issues when the sound of bullets impacting against metal is drowning out your shotgun blast. Another thing that bugged me about Doom 3's soundscape was the fact that, despite the enemies carrying the exact same weapons as you, theirs sound much more powerful than yours.

And from my citation of Brothers In Arms: Pick up a Kar98K from one of the Nazis. It sounds like a freaking fun-snap compared to the Colt 1911.

It would; it's a rifle, not a pistol. The shot exits the gun at a much, much higher velocity.