Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

Database error?

Recently i am getting some pesky database errors while reading and writing in this forum. Just wanted to mention that for the admins.

We don't have any hardware control, much less shell access or administrative access to the mySQL daemon. If, for instance, someone on another Telefragged hosted site is running some intensive queries against their databases, we can't exactly do anything about it.

What do you pay again for getted hosted here? If the monthly fee is above 20 Dollar consider switching to an own server.
Cheapest ones here in germany are around 20 Euro, normal ones are 30-35 Euro.
They should have enough horse power for dw. Besides that, i wont need AdBlock and the builtin PopUp-Block for looking at dw without eye cancer ;)

Then, why dosnt one of the European staff members get an Europen-Based server?
If money is the problem for Julian then why not open a paypal account?
I would donate 5 Euro/month for seeing an UGO-Free doomworld without Ads.
Heck, if the staff would pay some of the share i would get a decent server for doomworld.com and nachtkatzen.de.
nk.de is a very low traffic private rpg site. I would use the server for ircd, zdaemon and some own server deving, the rest would be there for dw.

Bastet Furry said:

What do you pay again for getted hosted here? If the monthly fee is above 20 Dollar consider switching to an own server.
Cheapest ones here in germany are around 20 Euro, normal ones are 30-35 Euro.
They should have enough horse power for dw. Besides that, i wont need AdBlock and the builtin PopUp-Block for looking at dw without eye cancer ;)

that would be stupid, doomworld would last for a very short time, LOW bandwidth (80gb a month IS NOT SUFFICIENT FOR A BIG MAIN SITE) and then there'd be some cybersquatting when the serverhost has drama.

You know the idea of placing gfx on unlimited bandwidth webspace?
Klamm.de does this since Lukas Klamm made his portal. They are just called img1.de till img9.de.
Just some cheapass 2,50 € per month domains without any bandwidth restrictions.
And klamm.de produces enough traffic with 100.000 Users.

Telefragged owns DW, therefore, no hosting changes can take place unless somebody at the top of Telefragged says "um, fuck DW, take it, here, get it away from me". I, however, do not see that happening.

Perhaps a "cash donation" (I ain't talking $150, either) to Telefragged would have them release DW to somebody else.

Bastet Furry said:

You know the idea of placing gfx on unlimited bandwidth webspace?

There is no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth".

gargoylol said:

There is no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth".

There is, 1&1 has it, netbeat has it, Strato has it and others has it too.
At least they are selling Webspace with unlimited bandwidth.

Though i still dont get the idea behind paying 1,30 for 1 gbyte transfer. The line is there and it dosnt matter if it transports 1 gbyte per second or 10 gbyte, the wearoff is going to be null.

There will still be an arbitary limit on how much can be transfered at once (the actual meaning of bandwidth)

However, I've not been getting problems with Doomworld so I don't think a move is really necessary.

WE DON'T PAY ANYTHING. The tradeoffs are banner ads everywhere, a broken PHP implementation (no mod_rewrite, no uploading via PHP [which is why custom avatars don't work]), and a server shared with other sites.

Bloodshedder said:

WE DON'T PAY ANYTHING.

Ok, you dont look a gifted horse into the mouth.

Bloodshedder said:

The tradeoffs are banner ads everywhere, a broken PHP implementation (no mod_rewrite, no uploading via PHP [which is why custom avatars don't work]), and a server shared with other sites.

The first is something that the user can get rid of (Adblock plugin, etc) I just blocked that upper i-frame from the mainsite.
The second one is something UGO should get a hit in the eggs for.
The third thing is bad for a site such as dw. But as said above.... "Nem geschenktem Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul" ;)

Before this starts to loop, please, someone close it.

TheDarkArchon said:

Does this also accounts for an out of date version of vBulletin?

That doesn't really have anything to do with it, and I see no incentive to upgrade to a newer version.

Bastet Furry said:

The second one is something UGO should get a hit in the eggs for.

UGO may own Telefragged or something, I'm not sure how that's all arranged, but I would blame it on Telefragged because they disabled the functionality due to a security flaw and never bothered to fix it so that it could be re-enabled.

@Bloodsheeder:
Then hit the admins of Telefrag with something very hard -.-
I just hope someone who has the power to do something on the servers reads this and does something usefull besides playing pocketbillard.....
Updating to a newer php for example.
Just type "apt-get update" folowwed by enter/return and leave the rest to the machine.

@Bucket:
You are so funny......
I think there will be enough people leaving a buck/euro or two if the dw staff would set up a paypal account.
At the end of the year the money on that account gets equaly divided betwhen all active dw staff members. I imagine that it can get as high as 250 Euro for every staff member.

Bastet Furry said:

Just type "apt-get update" folowwed by enter/return and leave the rest to the machine.

Um, well, even if the machine used the Debian package management system, that would just update the list of packages stored on the local machine, it wouldn't install anything. Besides, I think it runs FreeBSD anyways.

At the end of the year the money on that account gets equaly divided betwhen all active dw staff members. I imagine that it can get as high as 250 Euro for every staff member.

I wouldn't put that much faith in it at all. Besides, if we got money for this, we'd be obligated to, you know, actually DO something.

Bloodshedder said:

Um, well, even if the machine used the Debian package management system, that would just update the list of packages stored on the local machine, it wouldn't install anything.

Then i have a very strange fedora core 4.
If i type apt-get update i get a system that is up to date. ;)

Bloodshedder said:

Besides, I think it runs FreeBSD anyways.

There should be nice "do it for me, computer" update tools for that dude too.

Bloodshedder said:

I wouldn't put that much faith in it at all. Besides, if we got money for this, we'd be obligated to, you know, actually DO something.

Yeah, like having a nailed down newstuff staff that does /ns in rotation. *g* ;)

Bastet Furry said:

Then i have a very strange fedora core 4.
If i type apt-get update i get a system that is up to date. ;)

It looks like it was ported over from Debian. There, 'apt-get upgrade' does what you are describing.