Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinyx

Some help with XWE...

I would like to know a few things please:
1) How do I sub pictures in for sub screens title and what not how big do they have to be?
2) How do I rename maps?
3) What are the song names for in between the levels and title screen?

Please help and thank you in advance.

I'm afraid I don't know how to help you with the first two, but I can say, if you happen to be new to modding it is probably a bad idea to rename a map unless you know exactly what you're doing. In that case I think you just go to where the maps are listed, then right-click on the map you want to rename, go to "rename" and rename it whatever you like.

As for the third question, just go through the list of songs used in the WAD until you hear the two you are looking for, then look at their names.

Get a hold of XWE and open doom2.wad with it. It will explain many things. Just be absolutely positive that you don't change anything (backups are made automatically just in case). Basically, to replace something from the original game, you insert a modified copy of the thing in question from the IWAD, into your own PWAD. When the WAD is loaded, the content in your PWAD takes precedence over the content in the IWAD with the same lump names. As for renaming the level, there are two parts to it, one which changes the intermission graphics (look in the IWAD for the appropriate lump), and one which changes the text on the automap. You will need DeHackEd for the latter. Intermission and title music lump names for Doom 2 are D_DM2INT and D_DM2TTL, respectively.

1) For a vanilla-compatible mod - stick to the dimensions of whatever graphic elements are being replaced - that's 320x200 pixels for the title and intermission screens - and convert your graphics to BMP's before importing.
3) For Shareware/Ultimate Doom the songs are D_INTRO (Title) and D_INTER (intermission).